Xbox 360, Gamers Choice for Next Gen (Over the PS3)

dfloyd

Nov 7, 2000

Source

And its actually a very well respected source claiming that the 360 is going to be THE next gen console.

I am not saying this will definatly happen......... yet, but its only a matter of time. M$ just has too many resources not not come out on top eventually, just ask OS2 and Netscape and Wordperfect and etc and etc.

But it does make sense as well, considering:

Timing (360 will be out MUCH sooner and thats not even counting the huge delay between PS3s Japanese release vs its European and US one)?

Cost (The 360 apparently is going to be quite a bit cheaper, personally I think this can only be because the cost of Blu Ray and cell is going to jack the PS3 up to very high. If its not Cell and Blu Ray then what is making it so much more expensive to manufacture than the 360?

The amazing developers kit that the 360 has, I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this and from the early news I am hearing about PS3 their development kit is not even close. So when it comes down to it, developers are going to be able to make games easier and better (Better because when its easier to exploit the power of a system, the game will come out better, so another plus for the easier to use tools) for the 360 and get them out even faster which equaits to happy developers. Happy developers equals lots of developers. I think its pretty obvious so far that many are impressed with the kit, if nothing else by the huge amount of Asian Content providers who are jumping on the bandwagon. It appears to be a huge amount compared to the first time around.

The very strong online setup. Now dont get me wrong, I would love free service, but honestly Xbox Live is not really that bad for what all you get with it. And its going to be even better with the 360. Sony has claimed they are leaving it up to developers to do their own thing but this can be good and bad. Good because they can do pretty much what they want and charge for it how they choose, if they choose too. But its bad because it adds more time, more challenges, and more complexity. Its not as simple as connecting up to one centralized service and playing all your games from that.

So long story short, who else thinks Sony is in a little trouble this generation? And please dont base it on power. Honestly I dont believe the systems are different enough to say one is more powerful or less powerful than the other. And if you are thinking that having the most powerful system is what will allow one console or the other to lead then you are mistaken. One just needs look at the previous generation to see that clearly. The PS2 was the obvious leader even though it was less powerful than both the Gamecube and the Xbox.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
arr bad poll for people that don't crap about console.. anyways I am going to buy an XBOX 360 , PS3 and rev ! because i have bought nearly every major console since Intellivision days!

Jun 14, 2003
well ive just downloaded the new need for speed demo, if this is what the new consoles are gonna provide then thats great coz its the most gorgeous looking arcade racer ive ever played. but i have these graphics on the PC now......the consoles havent even arrived yet.

i will buy a console. but it will be purely to complement my PC

dfloyd

Nov 7, 2000
Thats why the fourth option is on there Tuteja :)

And yep that NFS Demo is fun but its going to be on current gen consoles as well. Personally I think thats the one thing that will slow down the flow of next gen more than anything else. The cool games being on 360, Revolution, PS3, and the older crowd of Xbox and PS2.

And personally I am not sure whether to get excited or not, but on one hand I can buy a new video card for my pc or on the other I can buy a whole brand new console...... Man I wish video cards would go down in price faster it makes it into a tough choice. But honestly I am sure there will be some amazing games on the next gen consoles that they wont be nice enough to bring to the PC. I expect to see the 360 share alot more games with the PC than either of the other two will. Nature of the beast and all that. But I am still sure there will be some sweet games that you just have to have a console for. Right now I am leaning towards 360. Still too many intangables with the PS3, and honestly not sure what to expect from the Revolution although the controller idea seems very cool. I may be imagining it wrong but it sounds like a three dimensional mouse type of control system which will give consoles something they sorely lack. A very nice and precise control system. No console comes close to mouse keyboard for flat out precision, and that is one thing that M$ has me P oed about. They purposefully told developers to not make it possible to use a mouse keyboard combo with the 360. Yes there will be a keyboard for it, but you cant game with it, at least not in 3d shooter type games, the ones the mouse keyboard is perfect for. They claim to of done this to keep the odds fair so those who did not have the mouse keyboard did not get owned by those who did have them. I wish they had not done that though as the one thing that frustrates me the most about consoles is the controller in 3d shooter type games, like Halo. Mouse / Keyboard is just sooooooo much more precise. And yes overall I am a PC Gamer at heart. I would love to stay a PC Gamer from now till the end. But the rising cost of video cards and the improvements in consoles is making it harder to stay true to my first love. Its like a hot blonde chick walked in and after a couple beers shes already dancing on my table, kind of hard to resist..... ;)

But enough of my sleepless rambling, if any and all of this does not make sense it was written with one eye open and both eyes closed, as delirium took me hours ago, but sleep just will not come. But back on topic, please keep posting, at least we can see what the Anandtech Crowd is guesstimating will happen.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
The 360 is advertised in tomorrows Best Buy ad. I did not find any of the launch games interesting

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
No one cares about the PS3 yet because a good bit of people haven't seen anything about it, or any of the game presentations for it. Once it gets well known, like the 360 is, and has an official launch date, it's likely people will swarm over the ps3.

I think the PS3's sales will eventually end up being better than the 360's, and price isn't really a problem. the PS3 is going to sell for less than $400, I believe.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
PLAYSTATION 3 ALL THE WAY

I'm sure the PS3 dev kit doesn't bother the Japanese at all! Asians are number crunching people (I'm asian myself btw). Not saying that non-Asians don't have that sort of potential but let's face it; it's easier to gather a roomful of japanese number-crunchers than it is to gather a roomful of "white" or non-Japanese number crunchers. As I see it, the PS3 has more hardware potential. And the Japanese have the ability to push the hardware to its max (I expect Hideo Kojima to do so).

Aside from being able to push the hardware to its max despite all the complaints, Japanese can make a more driving storyline than... Non-japanese game developers. I feel American and European game developers excel at making FPS. But even so, they always seem to be lacking in the storyline department. Take a look at HL2 and Doom 3. My god were they hyped up. Half-life 2 barely had a plot and Doom 3 was the most boring POS I've ever played. The levels were also very very repetitive and had no theatrical moments, if you know what I mean. Now take a look at what the Japanese have done. Metal Gear Solid and the Final Fantasy Series have some major plot going. I could lose a little gameplay if the plot is interesting enough. And if some of you consider gameplay to be Doom 3 or HL2, I might as well not care about it at all!

Japanese-made games seem to drive my interest more than non-Japanese games simply because of their plotlines. Add that to the Japanese's obvious potential to max out the PS3, and you've got a great looking game with a great plotline. That's why I'm sticking with the PS3.

Btw, I know the FF Series is moving to the 360, but Square-Enix has lost it since the FF7 days so no biggie =) Looking forward to METAL GEAR SOLID 4 from Hideo Kojima. That man makes some great games :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Big 1. HALO SERIES <-- WAY TO HYPED UP. I don't understand how its cheap, superficial, on-the-surface storyline got to you guys but it plain sucks.

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
arr bad poll for people that don't crap about console.. anyways I am going to buy an XBOX 360 , PS3 and rev ! because i have bought nearly every major console since Intellivision days!

Ditto.

dfloyd

Nov 7, 2000
Hmm TechNoooB I dont know if I agree with you friend.

First if story driven things are your game no company at all excels further than Bioware imo. They definatly make the most in depth complex story driven games I have ever seen. MGS was fun, but compared to the choices and depth of most Bioware games I dont think its even close. The simple fact that there is a Jade Empire sequel coming to the 360 makes it an almost have to buy, at least for me.

Also you state that the because the PS3 will have more powerful hardware that it will make a difference. Please think about it and look at the current generation. The PS2 is the weakest of all the systems and its doing the best. So honestly I think overall power will have little to do with it. With that said I am still not sure the PS3 will be that much more powerful than the 360, in fact I wonder if it will even be as powerful, and until there is actual hardware showing numbers no one will know.

But I guess the biggest point about this is the fact that you are saying Asian developers are the main reason the PS3 will win. Well if thats your reasoning just look at how many Asian developers are joining the 360 now. There are quite a few that are very excited about the 360s capabilites and simplicity. That brings me back to power for a moment, many consoles are more powerful than the majority of games show that they are. The reason that most games dont take advantage of a consoles full potential is because most developers cant squeeze out everything the hardware can do (This has to do with many reasons, complexity, time, developer skill level). But with the developers kit for the 360 being so well made, it will be easier for developers to squeeze out extra power and features. Because of this, it would seem, that on average more 360 based games will be able to use more of the 360s features. Not only that but they will be able to do it with the game being developed faster and easier.

But bottom line is this, games to a large degree are about opinions. Just because I like something does not mean someone else will, and vice versa. So it comes down to the fact that any of the systems could come out on top. I believe there are more intagiables than just games or hardware though and looking at M$s past its hard to imagine them not finding a way to eventually rule the roost.

gi0rgi0

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
x360 will most likely own just because of all of ms's resources. I was surprised that the xbox has seemed to be everywhere these days. That very word.
And it will most likely continue. Only a sony fanboy would disagree.

I was thinking about upgrading to the gtx512 from my current 7800gt but now the x360 is coming out and im not into the whole pc vs console thing. Just as long
as im able to play a fun game from time to time when im bored. And with the x360 i wont have to worry about configation problems. And sort of
tired of having to always upgrade the my damn cpu,ram,vidcard, etc.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
TechNoob, I don't follow consoles very much since I don't really care about them but last I checked, a lot of jap developers were going to be making games for the xb360. If Japanese are such great number crunchers, why do they rely on Western companies like IBM, nVidia and ATi to design their chips for them?

johnnqq

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
ps3 will win. nobody will want to pay the x money per month for xbox live vs 0 a month for the ps3.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
What do the consoles have to do directly with video anyways? Shouldn't this be posted in General Hardware?

Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: johnnqq
ps3 will win. nobody will want to pay the x money per month for xbox live vs 0 a month for the ps3.
Over 2 million already pay $50 A YEAR, for Xbox Live, which is the best controlled online gaming network around, free is never the greatest, look at PS2.

Therk

Jul 15, 2005
That is really, really wrong.

Look at a game like Mafia. That game had the best damn storyline I have ever seen - it felt like I was playing a movie! And no, it was not made by a team of Japanese people (I am not trying to be racist here) but it was made by a good team of people from Europe. It really saddened me that a game like that didn't get much hype as it certainly deserved to.

And I certainly think that the xbox 360 will suceed over the PS3. It has a stronger online, it is much cheaper and a good deal of better games are on the 360, not the PS3. Hardwarewise the consoles will be very similar with the 360 havign a better graphics card and PS3 having a better CPU but the lateness of the PS3 will destroy that advantage.

edit - this is a reply to TecHNooB about the asian developers and all.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: johnnqq
I would put money on the fact that you've never used Xbox Live, or even researched what it offers.

dfloyd

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
How is a game crack site a well respected source?

"A new survey by Merrill Lynch suggests that Microsoft's XBox 360 will become more popular with gamers"

I was not speaking of Megagames, I was speaking about Merrill Lynch. And Megagames is not just a crack site, they are a great game site imo. They keep up with tons of storys, many that others dont cover and have demos and much more.

dfloyd

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: xtknight
What do the consoles have to do directly with video anyways? Shouldn't this be posted in General Hardware?

Video is the main resaon it was posted here. Sony (Nvidia) and 360, Revolution (Ati). Considering the main issue with most consoles has to do with graphics is why I posted it in video. Sorry if my thinking was incorrect, but it seemed the right place to post it at the time. I was a bit tired though, so I could be wrong.

deepred98

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage
The 360 is advertised in tomorrows Best Buy ad. I did not find any of the launch games interesting

seriously all the launch games are seem boring
i'll get xbox 360 when halo 3 comes out. represent!

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
well the only game i think is worth buying at launch would be :

Project Gotham Racing 3 > love the graphic and looking an awesome game
Perfect Dark Zero > this game in not about graphic but the new type of gameplay + awesome storyline which many forget to see in this game
Kameo: Elements of Power > Looks great when you see 1000 troll but don't know about the whole game but maybe its worth but i would wait for review at gamespot
NBA Live 06 > the best looking NBA game ever me think for all you sport fan

Well anyways what i am buying this year for my xbox 360
1. Perfect Dark zero
2. Dead or Alive 4 << looking the most awesome fighting game since street fighter 2
3. Project Gotham 3

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
well the only game i think is worth buying at launch would be :

Project Gotham Racing 3 > love the graphic and looking an awesome game
Perfect Dark Zero > this game in not about graphic but the new type of gameplay + awesome storyline which many forget to see in this game
Kameo: Elements of Power > Looks great when you see 1000 troll but don't know about the whole game but maybe its worth but i would wait for review at gamespot
NBA Live 06 > the best looking NBA game ever me think for all you sport fan

Well anyways what i am buying this year for my xbox 360
1. Perfect Dark zero
2. Dead or Alive 4 << looking the most awesome fighting game since street fighter 2
3. Project Gotham 3
I'd like to add: Condemed: Criminal Origins

I could also add Madden 06 and NHL2k6.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Therk
That is really, really wrong.

Look at a game like Mafia. That game had the best damn storyline I have ever seen - it felt like I was playing a movie! And no, it was not made by a team of Japanese people (I am not trying to be racist here) but it was made by a good team of people from Europe. It really saddened me that a game like that didn't get much hype as it certainly deserved to.

And I certainly think that the xbox 360 will suceed over the PS3. It has a stronger online, it is much cheaper and a good deal of better games are on the 360, not the PS3. Hardwarewise the consoles will be very similar with the 360 havign a better graphics card and PS3 having a better CPU but the lateness of the PS3 will destroy that advantage.

edit - this is a reply to TecHNooB about the asian developers and all.

Well, sure there are exceptions. Well, i shouldn't say exceptions. I'm glad that some game developers are passionate enough about their games to go beyond the graphics part of it. If the story is good i really don't care who develops it. But in general, I have found Japanese-made games more appealing. Non-japanese games feel a little too on-the-surface for me. Like I said, perhaps there are exceptions but generally speaking that's how I feel.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: dfloyd
Hmm TechNoooB I dont know if I agree with you friend.

First if story driven things are your game no company at all excels further than Bioware imo. They definatly make the most in depth complex story driven games I have ever seen. MGS was fun, but compared to the choices and depth of most Bioware games I dont think its even close. The simple fact that there is a Jade Empire sequel coming to the 360 makes it an almost have to buy, at least for me.

Also you state that the because the PS3 will have more powerful hardware that it will make a difference. Please think about it and look at the current generation. The PS2 is the weakest of all the systems and its doing the best. So honestly I think overall power will have little to do with it. With that said I am still not sure the PS3 will be that much more powerful than the 360, in fact I wonder if it will even be as powerful, and until there is actual hardware showing numbers no one will know.

But I guess the biggest point about this is the fact that you are saying Asian developers are the main reason the PS3 will win. Well if thats your reasoning just look at how many Asian developers are joining the 360 now. There are quite a few that are very excited about the 360s capabilites and simplicity. That brings me back to power for a moment, many consoles are more powerful than the majority of games show that they are. The reason that most games dont take advantage of a consoles full potential is because most developers cant squeeze out everything the hardware can do (This has to do with many reasons, complexity, time, developer skill level). But with the developers kit for the 360 being so well made, it will be easier for developers to squeeze out extra power and features. Because of this, it would seem, that on average more 360 based games will be able to use more of the 360s features. Not only that but they will be able to do it with the game being developed faster and easier.

But bottom line is this, games to a large degree are about opinions. Just because I like something does not mean someone else will, and vice versa. So it comes down to the fact that any of the systems could come out on top. I believe there are more intagiables than just games or hardware though and looking at M$s past its hard to imagine them not finding a way to eventually rule the roost.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course. I just don't see how a game like Halo could get so much attention and be so horrible at the same time. Same goes for Doom 3. As for me saying PS3 > 360 in hardware, I know a lot of people here are looking for the strongest piece of hardware. And I know the good hardware doesn't garauntee that the games will be good. I was just saying the PS3 is a powerful machine for those who want that particular perk. So you're absolutely right, good hardware doesn't necessarily mean good games.