Xbox 360 controller on the PC

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Got an xbox 360 and controller and want to use the 360 controller on my PC. From what i've heard it's pretty easy to do but there are different controller drivers out there for it. I've heard "XBCD" drivers are the best...I dunno. What do you guys recommend? I asked on yahoo answers but got a bunch of "free xbox here!" spam :p

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
The XBCD drivers seem to work good, I mostly use Vista now though, Bioshock uses the control well.

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
I've tried both the XBCD and the MS drivers. On games that aren't specifically designed to use the 360 controller, I found it hard to get the game to recognize the analog triggers with the MS drivers. With the XBCD drivers, there are profiles available that let you convert the analog triggers to digital buttons making it easier to assign them to functions. XBCD also lets you set a dead zone on your analog sticks.

I also recommend checking out xpadder if you want to assign keyboard or mouse functions to your controller.

http://xpadder.com/

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I installed the XBCD drivers and big surprise, my 360 controller isn't detected correctly. I figured it wouldn't work, guess i'll try the windows drivers.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Still not working...I've tried both the XBCD and Windows drivers and I can't get it to be detected. Well, it keeps getting detected as USB device but windows won't install it and neither can I manually.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
XBCD FTMFW! Much much better. I wouldn't use a Xbox or Xbox 360 controller without.

If you can't get it detected... you need to install XBCD first (v1.07) followed by the latest XBCD 360 drivers v0.2.5. XBCD doesn't actually support the 360 controller, so some other guy did the XBCD 360 drivers to add support. After installing both, I've never had to do anything other than plug in the controller.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I have XBCD v1.07, not sure about the other XBCD thing, I think i already tried them though. Where do you get this stuff?

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
I use microsofts drivers and have never had any problems mappping the controls for a game.

Oct 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ropeadope
Still not working...I've tried both the XBCD and Windows drivers and I can't get it to be detected. Well, it keeps getting detected as USB device but windows won't install it and neither can I manually.

Did you get this working? I was having problems getting my PC to detect my controller properly and then learned that you can not be using the plug and charge connection with a wireless controller. It has to be a true wired controller (?).

Anyone know if this is actually true? Or will a wireless controller connected via plug and charge cable work with the correct drivers?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
A 360 controller is not going to work with just XBCD. As I said, XBCD was made for the Xbox controller. Someone created some 360 drivers to add support to XBCD, thus XBCD 360. You need both.

link

If you're running Vista or 64-bit of something... not totally sure, but I think there are updated versions (called XBCD+ now or something) for XBCD and XBCD 360. Look around on that forum for details.

As for wireless, I doubt XBCD 360 has support yet, but check that forum in the link above.

MS drivers provide way too little in the way of configuration. If you have a game that won't accept analog/axes for the triggers, you're outta luck I think. With XBCD, you can configure everything, so games without good support can be played with the 360 controller. You can also set deadzones, have rumble support (some games), and well it's good. Take GTA SA for example, why would I spend the time configuring my controls and hoping the D-pad and all buttons work, when I can load a GTA:SA profile in XBCD and simply play the game, with all controls exactly like you would play it on the Xbox automatically.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Ah, yeah I was trying to use the charge and play connection to the 360 controller. So I guess that's why it isn't working, bummer. Guess I need some kind of adapter instead? I don't care if it's wireless or not on my computer.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: FishTaco
There's a wireless xbox 360 receiver for windows. It's $20 at amazon.

xbox 360 w/l receiver/controller does not work at all with Vista 64.
Otherwise it's a must have.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
LOL, big surprise. MS still hasn't sorted all the issues out yet... & its their own hardware!

I used to use a wireless 360 controller with older console emulated stuff until my cats chewed up the receiver wire. :cry: