XBMC tv series folder setup????

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I was wondering if someone here knows the right way to format files and folders for a tv series in XBMC?
I have one TV show (futurama) that I like to save and watch sometimes.
I found threads and documentation on the XBMC site but nothing seems to work for me.
RIght now I have the folders like this:

Futurama\season1\Futurama-S01E01-Space Pilot 3000
Futurama\season2\Futurama-S02E01-A Flight To Remember
etc

XBMC seems to only pickup 1 file from each folder and want to play that.

has anyone gotten this working?

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Is it possible that when you added the folder to the library you checked the button "folder contains a single tv show" ?

Also Have you updated your library since adding these new files?
Files will not appear in your library until you click "update"

If this does not help you could turn on "debugging" and then do an update, looking at the debug log may give an idea of why your media is not being detected

The naming you have used is fine for XBMC

You may be interested to know that there is a tool called "TheRenamer" that you can drag and drop your video folders into and it will automate the naming of your shows and movies correctly for XBMC by comparing the file names to those on TVDB and movieDB

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Is it possible that when you added the folder to the library you checked the button "folder contains a single tv show" ?

Also Have you updated your library since adding these new files?
Files will not appear in your library until you click "update"

If this does not help you could turn on "debugging" and then do an update, looking at the debug log may give an idea of why your media is not being detected

The naming you have used is fine for XBMC

You may be interested to know that there is a tool called "TheRenamer" that you can drag and drop your video folders into and it will automate the naming of your shows and movies correctly for XBMC by comparing the file names to those on TVDB and movieDB

thanks,

I think I was supposed to have some lines in my customize.xml file

I added the stuff from here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Ctvshowmatching.3E

then added my tvshow folder and it all started working!!o_O:wub:

the funny thing is though....season 1 is perfect but all the other seasons are wrong.

i.e. season1ep1 plays the correct file. but season2ep1 plays the wrong file. it's still futurama but the wrong episode. very weird since I think I had everything named the same way.
I'll have to double check.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
this is weird. Seasosn 1 and 7 have metadata, fanart, etc and play fine.
everything else is screwed. season 2 ep2 will have all the metadat and fanart from another episode. I can't find a pattern.

the log will show the selected file being played. i.e. I play S03E02 "War is the H word"
if I goto season3 ep2 it will have another title but it will play war is the h word.

I even deleted my video data base and started from scratch. same problem
I have renamed the files slightly to see if that helped (like using a - instead of a . for the seperators. same results.D:D::rolleyes:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I think your naming is out of order, because XBMC's TV plugin pulls episode names from the numbering. "War is the H Word" is episode 2x17.

spencers

Aug 21, 2003
Mine is set up as follows:

Futurama/Season 1/Futurama - 1x01 - Space Pilot 3000
Futurama/Season 2/Futurama - 2x01 - A Flight To Remember

Never had a problem scraping!

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I think your naming is out of order, because XBMC's TV plugin pulls episode names from the numbering. "War is the H Word" is episode 2x17.

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=73871&seasonid=6590&id=131204&lid=7

this says it's s03e02

wikipedia says it s2e17
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Is_the_H-Word

http://www.tvrage.com/Futurama/episode_list/3
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149460/episodes?season=3
http://www.tv.com/shows/futurama/episodes/

all say s3e2as well

something aint right

Last edited:

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
but if xbmc only uses tvdb to scape info, why is it getting wrong info.

I have s3e2 war is the h word, the filename has that in the title. if i play it in MPC I can verify that that is the show. XBMC should be getting the same data that therenamer program is using, but it's not.
at this point I don't know where XBMC is scraping data from.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
The naming that XBMC likes best is

Show Name - S01E01

If you want you can put the episode name on there, but XBMC doesn't care. It will go by the first part:

Show Name - S01E01 - Episode name

Show name should be exactly what it is on theTVDB, and shows where one file spans multiple episodes on there should be done with a dash:

Show Name - S01E01-2

If you do it exactly that way (so two digit season and episode numbers) it will scrape right, or at least it works with my 350+ TV shows.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
The naming that XBMC likes best is

Show Name - S01E01

If you want you can put the episode name on there, but XBMC doesn't care. It will go by the first part:

Show Name - S01E01 - Episode name

Show name should be exactly what it is on theTVDB, and shows where one file spans multiple episodes on there should be done with a dash:

Show Name - S01E01-2

If you do it exactly that way (so two digit season and episode numbers) it will scrape right, or at least it works with my 350+ TV shows.

That's how I did it using the renamer.
I ended up switching to another scraper from xbmc and it works perfectly now

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I've done like below. Its organized in the way I like it to be and scrapers pick everything up just fine.

Series title (year)
Series title (year)\Season 1
Series title (year)\Season 1\Series title.s01e01
Series title (year)\Season 1\Series title.s01e02
Series title (year)\Season 1\Series title.s01e03
Series title (year)\Season 1\Series title.s01e04
Series title (year)\Season 2
Series title (year)\Season 2\Series title.s02e01
Series title (year)\Season 2\Series title.s02e02
Series title (year)\Season 2\Series title.s02e03
Series title (year)\Season 2\Series title.s02e04

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
Ive always used the convention:

Series title (year)\Series title.s01e01
Series title (year)\Series title.s01e02
Series title (year)\Series title.s01e03
Series title (year)\Series title.s02e01
Series title (year)\Series title.s02e02

no need to create folders for each season, you can group them all together if you like.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

no need to create folders for each season, you can group them all together if you like.

The only problem I have with that is it is not a good structure for folks with 10 seasons of say Smallville and for whatever reason one episode is not scraping.

With my file structure the file folders have the season box art for each season, so everything is nice and neat.

Probably a neat freak type thing /shrug

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

True, you don't have to.
As seasons pile on, I just prefer to keep files broken down to season folders vs having 10 seasons worth of files under one folder. Its just a preference.
Either way works fine.

I think you can even lose the series title in the files name as long as you have the title and year correct in the folder name.