X800 Pro problem - no Rage Theater chip yet drivers try to install it

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I just got a standard X800 Pro non-ViVo. I have a slight problem now. After I install the Catalyst drivers (4.10 full and 4.11 beta) I have a device that fails to start. I know why it won't start. The device is the Rage Theater chip, WDM tries to install this even though the chip isn't there (hence the failure). If I don't install WDM I get 2 unknown devices.

What should I do? This is minor but aggravating to me. Thanks for any help/advice.

Edit: Ok, is the thread title suitable now? ;) I just need a little help here.

chinkgai

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
right click on each of them in device manager and choose "uninstall" and it should disappear

but i forget whether or not it detects it again next time windows boots up

if it does and you have windows xp, you should have three options when the windows hardware installer comes up, which is:

"yes this time only"

"yes all the time"

"no never do anything for this device"

those are not verbatim mind you, but somewhere along those lines

the obvious choice here would be "no never for this device"

then giong to device manager again and right clicking then uninstalling

hope this helps for now until these drivers get smart enough to automatically realize that u dont have the vivo

btw, how come u didnt choose the 6800gt over this? just curious, im not an ati or nvidia fanboy as i've got both cards

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Jeff..... I just replied to your pm about this. I had completely forgotten about that. All I did was disable it in device manager and didn't worry about it. I'll be on and off all evening, or you can call me if you want. It is kinda crappy that the drivers can't figure it out.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Thanks for the replies.

chinkgai, I chose this card over the 6800GT as I got it used and at a great price. On top of that, I had a great experience with my 9800 Pro and felt confident that I'd enjoy gaming with the X800 Pro as well.

boshuter, I've disabled the Rage Theater device as you suggested. It doesn't seem to be causing me any difficulties so I'll not worry about it. But I am hoping that an updated BIOS will prevent Windows from "seeing" a chip that is not there.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I may need to get some upgraded cooling. I set the clocks to 500/500 and started a demo loop of 3DMark2001 before I went to bed. When I woke up I had a green/white pattern screen waiting for me. Obviously the card didn't like the temps.

My case temp . is 30C, CPU loaded temp. is 50C. I guess the card might have seen 60C, the 6800 OC I had before would spike over that while playing Doom3. Does anyone know what is a max. temp. to stay under with an X800 card?

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Well, I dropped the core/mem speeds to 495/495 and I looped 3DMark03 for 2 hours with no lock ups/artifacts/corruption. I guess I'm gonna try to get better cooling (ATI Silencer 4) unless someone has a better idea for me. :)

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Let me try this again:

Anyone with a non VIVO X800 Pro, does your card want you to install WDM drivers for the Rage Theater chip that is not present? My Gigabyte X800 Pro does and it is annoying me. If your card does not, would anyone care to use ATI Tool and do a BIOS dump for me so I can use your BIOS? I have been looking for a Gigabyte BIOS update but none can be found. And I believe that this card is physically just like the BBA so I should be ok to use a BBA BIOS.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Flashing to a stock ATI X800 Pro BIOS fixed the problem. It was the Gigabyte BIOS all along.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
:cool: What kind of CPU usage do you get with that WMV HD trailer? Thanks for any info since I'm still thinking about that 800pro VIVO.

chinkgai

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
:cool: What kind of CPU usage do you get with that WMV HD trailer? Thanks for any info since I'm still thinking about that 800pro VIVO.

he doesnt have a vivo....

but i can answer you since i have an x800xt with vivo

cpu usage is normal for me, just like when i had the 6800 gt installed in my system

by normal, i mean it had extremely high usage

from what i understand, that rage theater chip isnt equivalent to the onboard processor nvidia is trying to market even though it doesnt work, but correct me if im wrong

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I have the same results so far with the X800 Pro chinkgai. I'm wondering if half of what NV is saying is true after all, that we are all waiting for an update to WMP that will allow our hardware to accelerate it properly.