ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Just curious, I am considering building the build of a X58 rig and I heard there was some bugs to overcome with it...

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Some boards are also finicky with higher speed RAM (1600MHz+).

Sentry2

Mar 21, 2005
Just match the memory to the board and you should be fine. In other words...see what the popular ram choice is with the board that you choose. So far the new Corsair and GSKILL kits seem to be treating everybody pretty well.

I highly doubt you'll need anything higher than 1600MHz anyway. If your worried about it though...like I said, find out what kinda ram that particular board likes best. I haven't had any other issues besides some memory compatibility problems in the beginning.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Sounds like the early adopters are having just as much fun as I did 2 years ago with my Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 1.0 + e6400 + OCZ Gold 2x1GB DDR2-667.

Or...maybe not, since mine wouldn't even boot until I bought some cheapo Kingston RAM so I could flash the BIOS & boost the voltage before it would even detect the OCZ sticks...

EDIT: Actually glad I'm sitting this one out ftm. Waiting patiently for 32nm Westmere...

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Denithor
...Actually glad I'm sitting this one out ftm. Waiting patiently for 32nm Westmere...

I'm with you...

I also will never spend $300 on a MB again. At this point I don't think you can really tell the difference between the latest and the current technologies...Save up for 32nm, SSD, and SLI...

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Read Anand latest X58 article. M/Bs aren't primetime yet but its getting better. If ya have the XS chip not to worry they clock up easy .

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I have zero issues with my Gigabyte UD5/Corsair-1600.

There may be issues with tri-SLI but who cares about that anyways?

Edit- But you know you already have a pretty nice rig, so what's the urge to upgrade? I chose X58 because I was coming from an Opteron-165 that just wasn't getting the job done anymore, so the jump to i7 for me was immense.

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
Same here I have zero issues with my ud5p using vista 64bit.
Linux on the other hand well we will have to wait till ubuntu releases its next distro for compatability.
Other then that works flawless with everything I have thrown at it overclocked at 4ghz..

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
Edit- But you know you already have a pretty nice rig, so what's the urge to upgrade? I chose X58 because I was coming from an Opteron-165 that just wasn't getting the job done anymore, so the jump to i7 for me was immense.

Because I can, duh! :D

Seriously, the next one should be significant for me as well - my current gaming rig switching to Westmere quad on x58 with SSD and Windows 7. The perfect Trifecta!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
I have zero issues with my Gigabyte UD5/Corsair-1600.

There may be issues with tri-SLI but who cares about that anyways?

actually there are issues with any ATI cards, even single GPU, especially dual on single board or multiple boards.
There are issues with ram, there are issues period.
But some people will simply not encounter any of those issues, lucky them.

Just wait until the "pay to beta" period passes.