Question X570 MB scratched by screwdriver - it won’t get power from the PSU

razvanm3

Junior Member
Jan 19, 2019
4
3
41
Hello guys,

I’ve got a problem with one pc build.

The configuration is this:
CPU: Ryzen 2700X
MB: MSI X570 MPX X570 Gaming Plus
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC
RAM: 2*8Gb HyperX 3200Mhz
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 650W
CASE: Cougar Panzer
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 250Gb
HDD: Seagate 2Tb

When I’ve tried to take off the GPU for a cleanup I couldn’t release the pcie retaining lever with my hand (the space was tight), so I grabbed a screwdriver that slipped over the lever and scratched the motherboard badly.

Some photos with the scratch:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJAnjl05G7vnYcgLT4inQdRbuA-UabUb

It doesn’t show up in the pictures, but the beginning of the scratch is red - copper.

After I put the pc back together, I powered it on, it booted into windows, but right after the welcome screen it gave a blue screen and the system powered off.
After this, every time I try to power it on a noise is coming from the PSU - one protection kicks in - and the motherboard won’t get power.

I tried to clear the cmos (removed the battery and shorted the clear cmos pins for 30s), but the pc is still dead.

Any ideas?
 

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
7,741
861
126
Probably killed the MB for good.

In the future using the eraser end of a pencil would be the best option. Sticky, won't slip, but if it does at least it wouldn't cause damage. Of course you'd want one without a worn down eraser.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UsandThem

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
7,843
188
106
Hopefully it's just the motherboard and not more. Probably the electrical traces for the PCI slot. You could do some experimenting like swapping the graphics card to another PCI slot or a single stick of RAM. My concern would be frying something else.
 

razvanm3

Junior Member
Jan 19, 2019
4
3
41
So, a little update.
Today I went up to local pc shop that is specialised in laptop motherboard repairs.
The guys from the shop took the motherboard out of the case and put in on a benchtable and powered it on with their PSU. Surprisingly enough, it worked fine and even passed some stress tests (15 mins of OCCT and prime95). They’ve also done a bios update.
Put the motherboard back in the case and it powered on, no problems.
The guys looked at the scratch with a magnifier and said that the two wires were all good.

I really don’t know what happened.
I’m starting to think that there is a problem with the extension cord that I use. So, it has 3 outlets and one of them is used by a fridge.
Is this scenario possible? : The UVP (under voltage protection) of the PSU was triggered when the cooler of the fridge kicked in?
 
  • Like
Reactions: killster1

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
13,070
3,719
146
I really don’t know what happened.
I’m starting to think that there is a problem with the extension cord that I use. So, it has 3 outlets and one of them is used by a fridge.
Is this scenario possible? : The UVP (under voltage protection) of the PSU was triggered when the cooler of the fridge kicked in?
Yeah, I don't think I would ever put a computer and a refrigerator on an extension cord, let alone put both on the same extension cord. Compressors require a large start-up load when the compressor first kicks on.

Do you even know how many watts/amps the extension cord is even rated for? I use extension cords for some of my power tools, yard equipment, and generator, and you have to buy the right cord to be able to handle the amps/load/length.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PW5843 and Meghan54

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
4,342
459
126
Glad you got the system working, and the motherboard is still ok. I guess it's time to get a different surge protector for the computer.
 

PW5843

Junior Member
Oct 18, 2019
12
2
41
So, a little update.
Today I went up to local pc shop that is specialised in laptop motherboard repairs.
The guys from the shop took the motherboard out of the case and put in on a benchtable and powered it on with their PSU. Surprisingly enough, it worked fine and even passed some stress tests (15 mins of OCCT and prime95). They’ve also done a bios update.
Put the motherboard back in the case and it powered on, no problems.
The guys looked at the scratch with a magnifier and said that the two wires were all good.

I really don’t know what happened.
I’m starting to think that there is a problem with the extension cord that I use. So, it has 3 outlets and one of them is used by a fridge.
Is this scenario possible? : The UVP (under voltage protection) of the PSU was triggered when the cooler of the fridge kicked in?
I strongly second this!
Yeah, I don't think I would ever put a computer and a refrigerator on an extension cord, let alone put both on the same extension cord. Compressors require a large start-up load when the compressor first kicks on.

Do you even know how many watts/amps the extension cord is even rated for? I use extension cords for some of my power tools, yard equipment, and generator, and you have to buy the right cord to be able to handle the amps/load/length.
I wouldn't even connect my computers, TV's or any high end electronics to the same circuit as a refrigerator. If there is no other option at least get a UPS.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DooKey

ASK THE COMMUNITY