Question X570 Aorus Pro & Adata NVME

PW5843

Oct 18, 2019
Wanting to put 2 Adata NVME's in the X570 Aorus Pro that are not on the QVL. Anyone know, will this work?

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive part# ASX8200PNP-512GT-C
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive part# ASX8200PNP-2TT-C

The QVL does show a few Adata drives in the XPG line not the same part # and nothing over 512GB.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Motherboard manufacturers usually don't test many SSDs for their QVL.

You should be fine. There are rarely any incompatibilities (only the Intel 600p and some MSI boards comes to mind over the last several years).

Reactions: corkyg

PW5843

Oct 18, 2019
Thats pretty much what i was thinking. I know ram can be tricky at times as there are more variables in play.
I won't start buying my parts till next month so as it stands now im going to go with the Adata over Samsung unless i hear some compelling reasons not to.

Thanks for the reply

Reactions: UsandThem

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You should be fine, but you may also want to take advantage of the PCIe 4 SSDs if budget permits, given you are on an X570 board.

PW5843

Oct 18, 2019
You should be fine, but you may also want to take advantage of the PCIe 4 SSDs if budget permits, given you are on an X570 board.

Im still trying to figure out the pcie lane thing. Can i run 2 mvme (pcie 3) without splitting lanes so both run at x4? Does pcie 4 share lanes with pcie3 or are they independent?

Given these 2 pcie4 nvme's, which would be better for heat dissipation?

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012

or this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R768B6Q?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

PW5843

Oct 18, 2019
From what i have read so far the "real world" performance of the current PCIe4 SSD's is not much if any better than the better PCI3 drives. I was all set to go with the XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 - current price of $290 until i saw this today ... XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 $200 until Sunday.

Only difference i see is in the controller, Silicon Motion vs Realtek.

Would there be any noticeable performance difference in gaming between the 2 that would warrant waiting to see if the 8200 pro drops down close to the $200 mark by the end of the month?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Im still trying to figure out the pcie lane thing. Can i run 2 mvme (pcie 3) without splitting lanes so both run at x4? Does pcie 4 share lanes with pcie3 or are they independent?

Given these 2 pcie4 nvme's, which would be better for heat dissipation?

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012

or this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R768B6Q?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Double check the motherboard's manual but here is how the NVME M.2 ports work on AMD.

M.2 #1 is 4x PCIe 4.0 from the CPU.
M.2 #2 is 4X PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 from the Chipset
M.2 #3 (assuming it exists). is PCIe 3.0 from the chipset. (#2 is probably also PCIe 3.0 in this situation).

The chipset gets 4x PCIe from the CPU. Which means that if your #2 and #3 use PCIe 3.0 they won't exceed the max bandwidth to the CPU through the Chipset. In the end there is going to be some overhead and the chipset can act as a bottleneck because this Gen AMD added multiplexed lanes onto the chipset like Intel does. This means the chipset hands out more lanes (and more theoretical bandwidth) then the 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes it gets will allow. This is one of the reasons for the new platform for TR3, they get 8 lanes for the CPU.

Also don't get a ridiculous add on card. The copper case for the M.2 drive should be enough. The trick is to keep the flash warm and try to cool the controller. Hell even that copper cover might be too much heat dissipation. Also with PCIe .4.0 drives even more so then their PCIe 3.0 brethren the trick is that their speed allows 99.9999% of their tasks to get done before the controller has time to even think about it, or it's so lowly utilized in the normal task that again the controller is under worked. It only becomes and issue when your are transfering 100's of GB of data at a time to a similar speed NVME drive. Not what you would normally do with an OS drive.

Reactions: PW5843

PW5843

Oct 18, 2019
Double check the motherboard's manual but here is how the NVME M.2 ports work on AMD.

M.2 #1 is 4x PCIe 4.0 from the CPU.
M.2 #2 is 4X PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 from the Chipset
M.2 #3 (assuming it exists). is PCIe 3.0 from the chipset. (#2 is probably also PCIe 3.0 in this situation).

The chipset gets 4x PCIe from the CPU. Which means that if your #2 and #3 use PCIe 3.0 they won't exceed the max bandwidth to the CPU through the Chipset. In the end there is going to be some overhead and the chipset can act as a bottleneck because this Gen AMD added multiplexed lanes onto the chipset like Intel does. This means the chipset hands out more lanes (and more theoretical bandwidth) then the 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes it gets will allow. This is one of the reasons for the new platform for TR3, they get 8 lanes for the CPU.

Also don't get a ridiculous add on card. The copper case for the M.2 drive should be enough. The trick is to keep the flash warm and try to cool the controller. Hell even that copper cover might be too much heat dissipation. Also with PCIe .4.0 drives even more so then their PCIe 3.0 brethren the trick is that their speed allows 99.9999% of their tasks to get done before the controller has time to even think about it, or it's so lowly utilized in the normal task that again the controller is under worked. It only becomes and issue when your are transfering 100's of GB of data at a time to a similar speed NVME drive. Not what you would normally do with an OS drive.

Thanks for the reply. I don't keep up with the tech between builds and shit changes so much in 5 or 6 years. My fear is that staying on top will have me wanting to upgrade before i have to. LOL

I went ahead and ordered the PCIe 3 NVME drive since at this time gaming wise there seems to be no real performance difference. I may add PCIe 4 drive in a year or so depending on how they evolve.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Thats pretty much what i was thinking. I know ram can be tricky at times as there are more variables in play.
I won't start buying my parts till next month so as it stands now im going to go with the Adata over Samsung unless i hear some compelling reasons not to.

Thanks for the reply
Not sure about SSD but for ram, I also check the QVL on the memory makers site in case they've tested my motherboard.