X3:Reunion Insaaanely hard...

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
I just started playing X3. So far its pretty cool, but also very difficult. I am at the part where you have to find a reclusive Goner guy in freedom's reach. I have very little money and my ship is pretty damaged. If I encounter any group of pirates I almost definitely die.

Is there a way to get money when you only have the first little ship and are very vulnerable to being attacked? Why do my lasers run out of power so quickly? Is it just a hard game or am I doing something wrong?

thanks...

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
The plot is secondary in that game, it's mostly a sand box. There are also a great deal of mods and scripts to add to the game once you know what the heck you're doing.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
hmmm, I looked around in the forum-there are a lot of specific questions and answers. This game just has a steep learning curve I guess. It's just annoying that there are no side missions that earn money, all you have to do I guess is freight back and forth small amounts of goods until you have the cash to get a bigger ship...

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Capturing pirate ships is the best way to make money early on. Doing trading yourself sucks until you can get a TL ship. Later on, you can use automated traders to do it for you.

You may want to try the Xtended mod, but be warned that it will make the game considerably more difficult than vanilla.

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
Try starting your game on easy. The game plays the same but you start with your beginning ship + a basic cargo ship + more money.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: TBSN
cool, how do I capture ships?

Shoot them until you get a message from them to the effect "I'm bailing out. Take the ship." The ship turns blue (neutral) and the pilot ejects in a spacesuit. You need to exit your own ship, fly in your spacesuit to a close distance and use the claim ship command in the dropdown menu.

They don't bail out very often (usually when they lose most of their weapons or shields), and you have to check your fire as soon as it happens, otherwise you'll destroy the ship.

A moderately damaged Nova with a few weapons on it will net you at least 400,000 credits.

Xtended mod has a ship specifically designed to capture other ships, including capital ships, called the heavy capture frigate.

Using the HCF, you can capture ships worth 100+ million.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
ahh, I see. I think I'm *slowly* getting the hang of the game. I just realized if I hang around a firefight between two races, like argon and some pirate-looking guys, I can pick up all their missiles and sell them : )

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Look at the resource gudie sticky in the X-universe forum, there is a list of hidden ships that you can claim throughout the universe without firing a shot.

Your best bet is to cap pirate ships for your own use, buster to cap a falcon to cap a Nova/Nova Raider.

You can also get something called salvage insurance at the goner temple which allows you to save while in space, very useful before and after you go capping if you feel the need.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
ok I'll look for that sticky. One thing I never understood about salvage insurance-- is it the same as just saving your game at a station? If you die, do you just start back at the station with your ship back?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Hmm this game sounds like it could be a blast. I loved Freelancer and EnB, and I've had X3 installed for quite a while (still haven't played it for whatever reason :D), but I think I might give it a shot this weekend.

tranceport

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Just checked the game out. How did I miss it. I love space games like this. Last one I played was darkstar one which was ok. I miss EnB. God I miss EnB... EnB rocked. I miss EnB. I'm going cry now.

DaveBC

Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: TBSN
ok I'll look for that sticky. One thing I never understood about salvage insurance-- is it the same as just saving your game at a station? If you die, do you just start back at the station with your ship back?

No, with salvage insurance, you start back at your save point instead of the last station you visited. Quite handy before a battle.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
The Xtended mod is worth checking out as it adds a LOT of extra content, such as 60% more sectors, about 100 extra ships including new ship classes, and another plot and other side missions. It does require a clean start due to the extra sectors and can be a bit harder combat-wise as the AI can actually hit things with the larger weapons finally.

I would also suggest grabbing Cycrow's Package Manager and the following scripts if you want a bit more forgiving game start:

Unlimited Salvage Insurance
Mercenaries Guild(Has some nice paying combat missions in the BBS)
Bail Signal Extension(Allows Capital ships to eject and be captured)
Jumpdrive Kits (VERY handy when trying to recovered captured ships far from safe territory)
Salvage Claim Software(allows you to claim empty ships while still docked in your own ship)

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
X3 is not your typical game... the plot and fighting are just small extras. This game can take years off your life.

IMO the goal of the game is to 'own' the universe by owning I mean that you dominate defend and protect every sector of the game. Now to do this is not an easy task.

Just to give you an idea. I have 780 Ships 867 Stations and 75 complex hubs I have 1.5B in credits and growing :)
I make all my weapons and shields, I spend everything on my growing my battle fleets that I deploy in defending my trade sectors. I just hope that the game doesn't come to a point and crash because I have to much. I did all this with no cheats.

Since they took out starfarce, I re-installed the game and I'm slowly getting back into it.

I can say that I dominate about %25 of the universe with battle fleets and slowly expanding.

I only have the Overtune and Lasers scripts installed.

Eventually everything that's red in this game will be exterminated MUAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha then I will turn my vengeance towards the split.

(yea I have to much time)

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
those scripts look like they would really help the game (especially the unlimited salvage insurance!), I'll def check them out.

I've been having this problem tho-- when a pirate ejects from his ship, for some reason I can't claim it, even when I eject and go very close to it. It's driving me crazy! Do I have to buy some sort of ship upgrade to capture ships? I even tried shooting down the pirate in his space suit and then claiming it, but that didn't help...

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
I'm trying to claim it by targeting it, then just ejecting from my ship and flying next to it... I haven't tried going to ship information within my ship tho...