X25-M,can't shutdown or restart from windows

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
Hello.I seem to have an unusual problem.Essentially,i can't shut down windows xp for the last couple days.The drive reacts lightning quick,then hangs at "windows is shutting down" indefinetly.I can see the hard drive activity thanks to a nice lcd screen on my case.It very clearly is hanging at a point that is thrashing the drive as the hdd activity is non stop at this hang point.

I have rexamined all the ssd reg tweaks i've made regarding xp to make it more ssd friendly.I don't think thats the issue because tweaks made have been for a week now.The problem is only been the last 2 days.

I have chosen to use a swap file for the drive,as one of my favorite games forces a swap file anyway if i don't and impedes performance imo with my setup and comparisons to even a sata drive assigned swapfile.:)From what i've read,it's an optional thing.

My alignment is ok...i think,but it may have you scratching your head a little,lol .

Here's that:

C :\Documents and Settings\Peace>cd C :\

C :\ >diskpar -i
Usage: diskpar [ -i | -s ] DriveNumber
-i: query drive layout and partition information
-s: set partition information (only used on raw drive plea

C :\ >diskpar -i 0
---- Drive 0 Geometry Infomation ----
Cylinders = 14593
TracksPerCylinder = 238
SectorsPerTrack = 45
BytesPerSector = 512
DiskSize = 80021007360 (Bytes) = 76313 (MB)

---- Drive Partition 0 Infomation ----
StartingOffset = 23040
PartitionLength = 79966149120
HiddenSectors = 45
PartitionNumber = 1
PartitionType = 7

End of partition information. Total existing partitions: 1

Anyways,i have'nt tried fix mbr yet,but have tried chkdsk for errors and there are none.I am also using intel ssd optimizer,closest thing to trim i have for now.I doubt it does much except rid some deleted files though?

Other specs:

AMD x3 720be(unlocked to x4 oc to 3.2ghz forlong time now)
ati 5850
80gb x-25-M ssd
36 gb sata 10k rpm raptor

I could be off about this problem,but the only thing of any sort i've done recent is graphic driver changes,and oc tool experimentations.Thanks-

Last edited:

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
Okay,i left something out that COULD be relative.When i first set up the drive using acronis,i did not know at the time that one should have free UNASSIGNED drive space.From reading this IDF 2009 MEMS003,it was enlightening in fact for sure.Would anyone concur that maybe the drive is stressing(getting borked) after a bit since i assigned the entire drive space(except seen in the diskpar report)?Only about 15gb of assigned drive space is used atm.I just don't know enough,and one thing that is going to take some getting used to is not being able to see the actual state of my drive in some old fashioned way,lol.

IDF 2009 MEMS003

http://intelstudios.edgesuite.net/idf/2009/sf/aep/IDF_2009_MEMS003/f.htm

skid00skid00

Oct 12, 2009
Can you, or can you not, BOOT windows after powering off? If you can run windows, it's not an ssd problem, it's a windows problem trying to end a process. Check Event Viewer in Admin Tools to see.

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
Thanks for a response.The only 2 log entries that correspond with shutdown times are:

ftdisk:Configuring the page file for crash dump failed.Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

crypt32:Failed auto update retrieval of third party root list number from:
<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trusted/en/authrootseq.txt> with error.A connection could not be established.

I have 4gb memory,so the first error is like,huh?I already have swap file set on the ssd at 2gb because using heavy settings in game puts me around 1.8gb useage and drive is not happy for smaller in my favorite game..As well regarding crypt32 error..i have all updates and related window update services disabled,so i dunno.:shrug:

Last edited:

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
Followup:I got tired of trying to troubleshoot this.I can at least give some releveant information that falls into the ssd category.I did a complete restore using acronis.To get the initial drive set up right i had to use diskpar.

I can confirm that acronis will set it all back perfectly(keep set alignment) when doing a complete restore to a wiped drive.No need for several steps at that stage.Acronis Home ver.10.Confirmed.All is well again.