X2 opens up with $155 million world-wide, $85.85 million in the US. **UPDATE** Chalk up another 41.4 million

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
Movies will NEVER get the story absoloutely perfect to the comics. They have to forge their own continuity so that they can attract people who ARENT comic book fans into the theaters.

One thing I want to see is Havok come in (Alex was always the better Summers Brother) and see him and Scott lay into each other with their powers (They have this little tick that their powers dont affect each other. Neat huh?) But they have to go ALL freaking out with their powers, so its like spilling out over them, just one big red force blast mass, then the scene clears, and they are standing there, smoke rising off of them, just in one cool scene.

It doesnt even have to mean anything for me to like it :)

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
i just want X3 to concentrate on the Phoenix saga. that would be a hot story.

hawkeye81x

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2001
I was expecting big opening, but nothing of this scale.
This just leads me to sadness and happiness.
Happy in the sense that X-Men will probably have several more sequels in the works (here's hoping Singer signs on again)
but sad that more comic are gonna get the greenlight to swamp the market.
I figure Fantastic Four, Avengers, and maybe even Doctor Strange will get deals though I'm expecting half-a$$ed scripts will be produced...

I hope Beast and Gambit have to show up soon. I know of their minor cameos which was fun for those that are fans.
Suckers are those who are clueless.

My guess is with the third film they'll kill off a character like Nightcrawler (for real... not like the Jean thing where half the audience doesn't know about Phoenix and didn't pick up on the Xavier hint). Just a plot idea mind you something to drive the X-Men. Much like the death of Morph early in the cartoon.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: prontospyder
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Agree with Moralpanic. The Matrix without a doubt will break Spiderman's opening weekend record. X2 was hyped, but it's not nearly as anticipated or hyped was The Matrix sequel. The Matrix by far - I'll say $130 million US

The Matrix is Rated R AFAIK. $120+ would be a big stretch b/c it leaves out a large audience of younger viewers. Look at the top 4 movies. All PG-13 or PG

Also, Matrix Reloaded opens on a Thursday. There's no way it's gonna break Spider-Man's 3 Day Opening weekend record. I say it's 3 Day Haul (Fri-Sun) will be similar to X2's numbers this weekend.

Matrix Reloaded is having a 4-day release (Thurs - Sun) for exactly that reason. It won't beat Spiderman for 3-day opening weekend record if it was opening on a Friday, BUT - It DOES have a chance to unseat whatever is on top of the 4-day opening record.

It COULD beat Spiderman, IF it wasn't rated R. But the fact it's rated R will do two things:

1. Keep out almost everyone under 17 that doesn't want to be caught dead seeing a movie with their parents.
2. Make devious children buy tickets to other movies to sneak into it, which also won't add to its numbers.

R-rated movies usually have HALF the opening numbers of PG-13 movies - On average, of course.

It's reasons like this I wish they'd modify it so there'd be a PG-13 and a PG-15. It'd seriously add to the amount of money movies like The Matrix, which are barely R-rated, made in the theaters.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: hawkeye81x
I was expecting big opening, but nothing of this scale.
This just leads me to sadness and happiness.
Happy in the sense that X-Men will probably have several more sequels in the works (here's hoping Singer signs on again)
I figure Fantastic Four, Avengers, and maybe even Doctor Strange will get deals though I'm expecting half-a$$ed scripts will be produced...

I hope Beast and Gambit have to show up soon. I know of their minor cameos which was fun for those that are fans.
Suckers are those who are clueless.

My guess is with the third film they'll kill off a character like Nightcrawler (for real... not like the Jean thing where half the audience doesn't know about Phoenix and didn't pick up on the Xavier hint). Just a plot idea mind you something to drive the X-Men. Much like the death of Morph early in the cartoon.

Okay, Gambit was my favorite character in the comics. Where the hell was this cameo you talk of? Did I blink?

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pecel
How much the budget for Matrix 2?

The filmmakers reportedly spent over $300 MILLION making them both. I have a feeling we won't get an exact number until they're both released.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Doesn't surprise me, its one of the best movies I have seen all year. I wonder which will do better this or matrix reloaded. Oh and X2 is a great movie to see in theaters, kinda cool that they brought the phoenix in, but they need to do a little background on that in the next episode, go into the whole thing with the shi'ar and whatnot.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
no box office breakdown by country? that would be interesting. i didn't know it would open around the world simultaneously, figured it would be like other films that open at different times in different places.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: tk149
SPOILERS
It was pretty cool watching Magneto finally open up too. He was always called "one of the most powerful mutants" in the comics, but I don't remember him ever really doing anything really cool. Now in the movie he takes two marbles and opens up a huge can of whoopass. Very cool.

I don't get why Magneto is considered so powerful. Sure, the ball thing was neat, but Prof. X's powers allow him to move anything, not just metal, making Prof. X, Jean Gray, and the other telekinetics more powerful.

Professor X has no telekinetic powers...only telepathic. Also, Jean Gray's telekinetic powers pale in comparison to what Magneto can do with the Earth's magnetic field.
How did Prof. X stop the bullet in the first movie then?

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
SPOILERS
It was pretty cool watching Magneto finally open up too. He was always called "one of the most powerful mutants" in the comics, but I don't remember him ever really doing anything really cool. Now in the movie he takes two marbles and opens up a huge can of whoopass. Very cool.

I don't get why Magneto is considered so powerful. Sure, the ball thing was neat, but Prof. X's powers allow him to move anything, not just metal, making Prof. X, Jean Gray, and the other telekinetics more powerful.

Professor X has no telekinetic powers...only telepathic. Also, Jean Gray's telekinetic powers pale in comparison to what Magneto can do with the Earth's magnetic field.

I don't recall that scene. Refresh my memory. What exactly happened in it?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Nearly every well known marvel comic has already been made into a movie.
Blade, Punisher, Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil
Comic book movies have been big for a while. Batman, the Crow, etc. So the fact that more will be made is nothing new. I hear Hellboy is in the mix, so is Ghost Rider.

FYI, Fantastic Four, Punisher, and Avengers have already been made into movies. They both sucked.
Punisher is being remade for a 2004 August release. Let's see if it will suck less than the other one.
Just checked Upcomingmovies.com, and apparently Fantastic Four is also being redone for a 2004 winter release.
Iron Man is set for a 2005 release.

Hm.

Any comics that HAVEN'T been licensed yet?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MachFive
SPOILERS

i think it was magneto who stopped it

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac

Comic book movies have been big for a while. Batman, the Crow, etc. So the fact that more will be made is nothing new. I hear Hellboy is in the mix, so is Ghost Rider.

FYI, Fantastic Four, Punisher, and Avengers have already been made into movies. They both sucked.
Punisher is being remade for a 2004 August release. Let's see if it will suck less than the other one.
Just checked Upcomingmovies.com, and apparently Fantastic Four is also being redone for a 2004 winter release.

Hm.

green lantern?
silver surfer?

those would be cool

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Okay, Gambit was my favorite character in the comics. Where the hell was this cameo you talk of? Did I blink?

When Mystique hacks into the computer, one of the names on the list is "Remy LeBeau" -- aka Gambit.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: maladroit

Hm.

green lantern?
silver surfer?

those would be cool

I've heard Rumors Green Lantern is in the can. Dunno if it's true or not.

And is it just me, or does the Hulk as a movie look awful? I see the trailer and have absolutely no desire to see it.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

Hm.

green lantern?
silver surfer?

those would be cool

And is it just me, or does the Hulk as a movie look awful? I see the trailer and have absolutely no desire to see it.

i think the movie could be good. right now i'm having issues with the weird looking face on the hulk. he also looks too cg. i had that problem with spidey too

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001

When Mystique hacks into the computer, one of the names on the list is "Remy LeBeau" -- aka Gambit.

LOL. I did blink. I wasn't really paying attention to the names on the computer. And I'd hardly call that a cameo. ;D

Now, PERSONALLY, I think they need to get Bruce Campbell, hook him up with a Cajun language coach, and get him to play Gambit. Ever since he became my favorite character almost a decade ago, I always imagined Bruce Campbell as the only guy who could pull off the Badassosity of Gambit properly.

But I'm weird like that. I think I originally slated Angela Basset to play Storm, Julius Carry to play Bishop, and Brad Pitt to play Cyclops, so I'm pretty weird.

benliong

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2000
SPOILERS

i think it was magneto who stopped it

Yeap. Magneto fired the guns and stopped the bullets just before they hit the cops, as a way to threaten Prof. X. In a way, prof. X could have controlled Magneto if he doesn't have the helmet on, but since Magneto was able to outsmart Prof. X the two of them are more or less equally powerful. :)

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Oh, yeah, I also thought that Jack Nicholson would've made a damn good Wolverine. But then, this was 1995, and he looked a lot younger then.

benliong

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2000
Oh, yeah, I also thought that Jack Nicholson would've made a damn good Wolverine. But then, this was 1995, and he looked a lot younger then.

I tot he looked perfect for wolverine right now. :)

I tot they are going to tell us how Rogue and bobby......you know...... :)

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: benliong

I tot he looked perfect for wolverine right now. :)

I tot they are going to tell us how Rogue and bobby......you know...... :)

Well, that's true. Wolverine is like 100 years old in the comic, and in the comic, he looks to be at least 40. Jack looks 40 on a good day, right? ;D And I'll be damned if he doesn't scare me a sh!tload more than Jackoff does.

As for Rogue and Bobby....ack. Kinda contrived. My guess is, Bobby figures out how to turn himself into ice, like in the comics, and when he's in ice form, they can get it on. Which, to me, sounds REALLY dumb, because it'd kinda be like screwing an ice sculpture, and I can't imagine that frostbite in the privates is very comfortable for a woman. But hey, this is hypothetical.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

Hm.

green lantern?
silver surfer?

those would be cool

really? the hulk preview really got me excited about it. i'm looking forward to seeing it.