X2 + GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 = Memory Errors

evilharp

Aug 19, 2005
Ok, I have a memory problem with my current setup.

The problems only occurs during "stress tests" such as Prime95 (Large FFTS using system ram), S&M memory test and memtest (bootable iso) when I am running in dual channel mode. If I run in single channel (1 stick of 512 or both sticks on the same channel) I don't have a problem.

I have:

A64 4200+ X2 (E4 stepping)
GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 (nForce3 with new F9 bios. F6,F7 and F8 bios gave me the same problems)
1 GB (2x512) of OCZ memory 2.5-3-3-7 (OCZ4001024PDC-K)

I've done some reading, and the NF3 (Neo2, DFI Lanparty, etc) boards have had similar memory problems, so I tried all the fixes, such as:

-running at 166mhz - same errors
-relaxing tRAS and tRCD timings - same errors

I had an A64 3500+ in my system before (the .13nm model, sorry I forget the codename) and I had no problems with stability tests.

I could:

-buy new ram
-buy a new mobo (needs AGP, as I have an X800XT AIW and I don't feel like spending big cash on an equivalent PCI-E card)
-give up, and be happy

Any suggestions?

Oh, and if you do suggest a new mobo, it has to be one I can actually get. Abit, Epox and DFI (except for NF4) have disappeared from the market in my area (Toronto) for some reason. Shops can order them, but no one is stocking them (wonder why?)

evilharp

Aug 19, 2005
Thanks for the reply LED.

I've tried the advanced chipset options (CTRL+F1) to mess with the memory speed and timings (tRCD and tRAS). It was a no go, same errors.

Any other tips/suggestions?

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Seems stupid but it has worked for me...switch RAM stick in the 1st Banks and try again ...If you have 1 USB keyboard then you won't see all the options in the BIOS ;)

evilharp

Aug 19, 2005
Hi LED,

Here is what I have tried so far:

1) Ruled out bad memory: Full memtest runs on the ram using my pc and my parent's pc. No errors with individual sticks, or sticks installed in single channel mode. Tried aggressive/relaxed timings, no errors. Dual channel, errors on my PC (the other PC is a KT400 box, so no dual-channel testing available)
2) Ruled out bad slots: Tried moving "slots". No matter which ram channel I use, the system generates errors in dual channel mode.
3) Changed timings (tRas,tRCD, MHz) on ram in dual-channel mode, gets errors. Single channel - a-ok.
4) Cooling: opened case, and used a desk fan to cool the ram/nforce3 chip. Still errors.
5) Change chip: put in my old A64 3500+, No Errors in dual or single channel modes (hmmmm)...
6) Bios revisions: F5 through F9 all support X2, but I can't lose the ram errors. (Of note, the F9 bios came locked with an Admin password from gigabyte. I had to clear the CMOS to access the bios. Good Quality Control Gigabyte :rolleyes: )

So, I am at a loss. I've had bad ram in other systems before, and it will error out no matter what system you put it in. I'm thinking that the memory controller and the motherboard/bios don't like my ram for some reason. I've heard that some nForce3 boards are super picky when it comes to ram (neo2), so it could be that my gigabyte has the same problem.

Any other nForce3/X2 users with this problem?

evilharp

Aug 19, 2005
Well, I figured out the problem.

For some reason, the ram generates errors when I used it in another system, in single channel mode. I popped the ram into my brothers system, and left it running for a couple of hours. When I came back memtest had spit out a list of errors. So, now I get to test OCZ's warranty RMA process.

To test the X2 + GA-K8NS-Ultra-939, I used my brother's cheap Kingston RAM (unmatched pair) in dual channel mode and no errors. Prime95 and S&M run without problems.

So, long story short: X2 + nForce3 does work. I can start recommending my GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 again.

Thanks for the help.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Ta for that, I will be going for cpu upgrade too and currently have same board & the newcastle chip too

evilharp

Aug 19, 2005
Here's an update:

I scored some "Value BH5" ( http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392&p=9 ) and I am currently running it at 2-2-2-10 @ 2.7v . (By scored I mean a friend upgraded his P4 to a 775/DDR2 setup, and gave me the Ram cheap :) )

No memtest errors and prime95/S&M run without problem.

Happy me :)

My only complaint is that the GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 won't adjust the vdimm above 2.7 :( Oh well, timings mean more to the A64 than bandwidth.

SolMiester the X2 installed no problem. Just update the bios first and you're all set.