x1900xt running too hot?

cadaversinc

Jul 7, 2006
I have recently purchassed an asus x1900xt and i was geting temps of 81c while playing HL2 with all the settings maxed out. Is this too hot? How can I monitor temps in game?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've heard that these get really hot. To combat this some people like to use ATI Tools to put the fan on 100% sooner. This ensures you have a 100% spinup on the HSF at a lower temperature than the default setting.

cadaversinc

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
I've heard that these get really hot. To combat this some people like to use ATI Tools to put the fan on 100% sooner. This ensures you have a 100% spinup on the HSF at a lower temperature than the default setting.

But what is the acceptable operating temp for this card w/o doing damage to it? Will ATITools let me monitor temps in game to prevent overheating the card?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
ATI Tool does allow you to monitor the temperature. I've heard that up to 90c is acceptable. I believe there's a shutdown temp where the game will crash out on you if it gets above the threshold.

cadaversinc

Jul 7, 2006
ATI Tool does allow you to monitor the temperature. I've heard that up to 90c is acceptable. I believe there's a shutdown temp where the game will crash out on you if it gets above the threshold.

MMMMM sounds wonderful....I had no idea these cards ran so hot...is it worth it to change the HSF for a better cooling solution?

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Don't be surprised...I wasn't expecting my x850xt agp reach 76 C once :p

but then...my 7600GT KO reached 82 C on load and slapped in a Zalman VF 900 cooler to tame it down :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about the temperatures, just make sure your case is recieving cool air from the intakes. Unless if your card is becoming unstable or receiving artifacts...then an option for a 3rd party cooler is viable.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
81c is considered "cool" for this kind of card. If search this very site or forum long & hard enough you may find people who said theirs (xt/xtx) runs at 90ish Celsius in load and still considered "normal". My 7900gtx on the other hand runs so cool thermally (43c/54c) but that's out of context of this thread.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: cadaversinc

MMMMM sounds wonderful....I had no idea these cards ran so hot...is it worth it to change the HSF for a better cooling solution?

If you are worried about it you can do that. Although any warranty you may have had would be gone when you do this. It's up to you.

cadaversinc

Jul 7, 2006
WOW I had no idea...I have a friend running the top of the line nvidia and he almost shi*t himself when he heard my temp. Thanks guys you've been alot of help!

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: cadaversinc
WOW I had no idea...I have a friend running the top of the line nvidia and he almost shi*t himself when he heard my temp. Thanks guys you've been alot of help!

well take it easy and game away :thumbsup:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
80 C is normal.

mine hit 94 (and artifacted) when somehow the fan got set to 27% only in rivatuner (instead of 100%, love the accelero)

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
good god, you guys run them hot.

my 7900 GT KO barely reaches 60c, 65c MAX if its on a really hot day and i'm gaming during the afternoon hours.

Ideally, it runs at 55c on full load in a decent cool evening.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: DannyLove
good god, you guys run them hot.

my 7900 GT KO barely reaches 60c, 65c MAX if its on a really hot day and i'm gaming during the afternoon hours.

Ideally, it runs at 55c on full load in a decent cool evening.

Buzz off mr nvidia man :p :Q :eek: :D

jk :p

but yeah...my 7600GT KO on stock didn't do crap. It idled on 60 C and loads on 82 C. I just installed a zalman VF 900 not too long ago, it's much much cooler :D

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: shabby
You need this cooler, idles at 40c and peaks at 60c and is silent ;)

With the amount of heat this thing generates there's NO WAY I'm getting a cooler that doesn't exhaust air out of the back. Any other card I wouldn't mind but this thing gets BLAZING, so I'll stick with my Ice3Q cooler and hope that Arctic Cooling comes to it's senses and makes the next version of accelero with an exhaust.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Powermoloch
wtf happened to the cooler :Q ?

It got trimmed, otherwise it wouldnt fit.

Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

With the amount of heat this thing generates there's NO WAY I'm getting a cooler that doesn't exhaust air out of the back. Any other card I wouldn't mind but this thing gets BLAZING, so I'll stick with my Ice3Q cooler and hope that Arctic Cooling comes to it's senses and makes the next version of accelero with an exhaust.

Honestly the idle/load temps of the cpu didnt go up that much, maybe 2-3 degrees. My 120mm fans provide plenty of circulation, maybe if you dont have them then i'd be worried.

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
7600GT should n't go over 60-70C at the very max under any load, in fact it may be around 60C or so, I don't remember for sure but definitely not that high. All this on stock cooling.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: akshayt
7600GT should n't go over 60-70C at the very max under any load, in fact it may be around 60C or so, I don't remember for sure but definitely not that high. All this on stock cooling.

Lol not for me, the eVGA's 7600GT KO's HSF didn't know crap. I reseated it (twice) with AS5 and it did lil help or no difference at all. Only when I got the Zalman VF900, I see a definite difference lol :p

I never looked back

it's cooling around 44 C on idle and never hit over 60 C load :)

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
I didn't see artifacting until around 88deg C during the Auto OC test in ATI overdrive. While playing games, however, it loads up at around 78deg C or so.

I can't imagine dumping that air into the case, which is why I opted for a HIS Ice3Q unit - it felt like a heat gun when I put my hand back there to feel at 88deg C

PM