X1900XT at 90+ C , HELP

gRaps

Aug 7, 2006
Ok my graphic card is running at temps above 90 C, i have no clue what is wrong, maybe i installed it wrong? does the heatsink on the graphic card need power?

Please help, i'm running the graphic card on Gigabyte DS3, E6300, corsair ddr2 800 C4 ram

Fistandantilis

Aug 29, 2004
yes the sink needs power but if you are using the card then it is gettin ghte power, these cards run hot and the default fan speeds may not be enough, you should DL the latest ATI tool and change the fan speeds. good luck.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
90C at load I assume? I've had it get up to 95C once according to ATiTool, no idea how it happened but it hasn't got that high for a while. Can you SEE the fan moving? Did you OC the card? What drivers do you have? Information please.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Do you have proper ventilation? LOTS of cold air coming in and lots of hot air coming out of your case? Even with crossfire, my cards are 60*C under load because I have excellent air flow: 5 scythe 120mm 1600rpm fans with a fan controller.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think one reason for the big temperature differences we're seeing between different cards could be that the stock thermal paste is not applied well at the factory. I remember someone here saying that reseating the stock heatsink and putting on AS5 or something resulted in a 10C drop. I get about 82C load at 80% fan speed even though I have two 120mm fans blowing outside air pretty much directly into the card, but I haven't gotten around to reapplying the paste yet. I need to try that soon.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670
I think one reason for the big temperature differences we're seeing between different cards could be that the stock thermal paste is not applied well at the factory. I remember someone here saying that reseating the stock heatsink and putting on AS5 or something resulted in a 10C drop. I get about 82C load at 80% fan speed even though I have two 120mm fans blowing outside air pretty much directly into the card, but I haven't gotten around to reapplying the paste yet. I need to try that soon.

I haven't heard that before, interesting. My 1900XT is idling at 50C at the moment.

gRaps

Aug 7, 2006
ok i'm using the latest ATI drivers, i havn't overclocked anything, stock speed. at idle its about 65-70 c. When i play games it goes up to 80-90 :x

and yes the fan is moving on the heatsink, but how do u adjust the rpm of the fan with the ati drivers

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
you cant without something like atitool or some type of additional app that allows it, someone posted something stating it was made by ati and allows overclocking. and fanspeed ajustment

gRaps

Aug 7, 2006
hm, the thing is i just built this computer, annndd i am experiencing sum random restarts. Not frequent but kinda annoying, just seldomly . Had about 3-4 restarts yestoday, when i built this comp

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
how is the ventilation in the case? what's the temp in your room? these are all variables which will affect the temp.

as someone else suggested, try adj. the fan speed higher using ati tool

hmorphone

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: gRaps
hm, the thing is i just built this computer, annndd i am experiencing sum random restarts. Not frequent but kinda annoying, just seldomly . Had about 3-4 restarts yestoday, when i built this comp

What power supply are you using?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
It's kinda normal, but to be safe crank up the fan speed to 100% all the time. It'll keep it nice and cool.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: CaiNaM
how is the ventilation in the case? what's the temp in your room? these are all variables which will affect the temp.

as someone else suggested, try adj. the fan speed higher using ati tool

Yep, make sure you have good case ventilation.

gRaps

Aug 7, 2006
can sum1 link me to a software that allows me to set the speed of the fan in side my video card. I searched all over ATI , coudlnt' find anything :x

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have 2 HIS XTX's & the older one with the standard cooler hits 80c under load ... the newer card is the IceQ3 & the much-improved cooler keeps it around 70c in the same conditions in a smaller case... both are clocked to the maximum overdrive settings.

firebyyrd

Mar 15, 2006
install it. open it

.. you should see in your icons on your bottom right.. there should be an ATI red box.

right click it:
hardware > overclocking settings > FAN > check manual settings > crank that baby up to 50% and you temps should fall. apply and ok. your set.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
I was hitting 90+ C when I put the fan at 65%, which is about all I can stand. Putting the fan at 100% cuts it to 80 C but it sounds like a vacuum.

Reapply some AS5 and test it out.