X-Wing, Tie Fighter

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Is there anything modern that is similar to these classic Star Wars space combat simulator games?

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
To my knowledge, NO! Thank goodness due to fan based support the greatest of all combat space flight sims has been updated with HD video, mods, and new missions. Wing Commander Prophecy

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
X-wing Alliance was the last and the best. It had hardware 3D and there was also an excellent skirmish mode, you could make HUGE fleets and battle until you were worn out.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2. The latter has a MAJOR community re-write behind it (source code was released a few years ago) to update the engine to a more modern one. You can get both on GoG DRM free.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Closest I've seen is Galaxy on Fire series on iOS. Though it sucks with the virtual joystick.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Nope.

I liked Freespace, but I wouldn't group it with X-Wing. X-Wing definitely was about the fight, but strategy played a huge role also, when you could be minutes away from something coming in, while you went out far to intercept bombers.

Every space fighter game since has been pretty damn easy in comparison.

I'd love to see a new X-Wing, but it would made to today's standards, and have tiny maps where you can't possibly lose a battle unless you never fire a shot.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
X3 is probably the closest I have played lately. X Rebirth is coming out in November, and it may have relatively good space combat as X3 does.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
If you look around you might be able to find a copy of X-Wing Collector's Series. Don't confuse them with the original DOS Collector's Editions. X-Wing CS contains both X-Wing and Tie Fighter with all the addons and actually runs on current Windows. The downside is that some of the menus aren't the same and it uses a cd-audio soundtrack instead of the original adlib/midi soundtrack but the graphics are better as it uses your 3D card.

I actually picked up this gem back at release. Good luck to those who want it now though because the prices have gone up lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wi...lectors+series

I'd be willing to bet we may see high resolution versions of these games get released around the time Episode VII comes out.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If you look around you might be able to find a copy of X-Wing Collector's Series. Don't confuse them with the original DOS Collector's Editions. X-Wing CS contains both X-Wing and Tie Fighter with all the addons and actually runs on current Windows. The downside is that some of the menus aren't the same and it uses a cd-audio soundtrack instead of the original adlib/midi soundtrack but the graphics are better as it uses your 3D card.

They ported over the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter engine for them. The games are close enough though. I've still got them as well as the original X-Wing and TIE Fighter CDs. There's also a TIE Fighter total conversion mod for XWA.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
X-wing Alliance was the last and the best. It had hardware 3D and there was also an excellent skirmish mode, you could make HUGE fleets and battle until you were worn out.

Ditto, don't know why people always bring up XWvsTF and never mention XWA. Alliance was freaking awesome in it's day, and had all re-rendered cockpits + better graphics and FX.

DarthPader

Aug 13, 2013
Very small number of quality games arrived it this genre lately. Last one I played were Freelancer (some ten years ago) and X games, and from all the others Starpoint Gemini was the only one actually worth my time

DarthPader

Aug 13, 2013
It is fortunate this year will be finally a good one for space gamers. New X will likely hit the stores this year, and so far materials from Starpoint Gemini 2 look amazing as well

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
I loved XWA, too. I never finished it, but I restarted the campaign multiple times and had good fun with skirmish mode.

SOL: Exodus is a recent indie option. I believe it was created by a pretty small team, but uses the Unreal engine and is m/kb-controlled. I grabbed it cheap on Steam but there is a demo to try. I have only played a few missions but it fit the bill enough for me. (Don’t expect much from story/voice-acting).

I hope a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter type game is in the works.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Never played XWA but I read you slow down in turns. That would ruin it right there for me, don't care how much eye candy there is ... I still load DOSBOX and play Tie Fighter Collection sometimes. It's all about the gameplay for me and it's just about perfect.