X-Wing, Tie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kudro

Mar 29, 2008
Does anyone know of any graphics mods for Tie Fighter, similar to the XWA Upgrade?

Kudro

Mar 29, 2008
@waggy, does that work with Tie Fighter? I thought that was just for X-Wing Alliance

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
@waggy, does that work with Tie Fighter? I thought that was just for X-Wing Alliance

I think they did tie fighter too. at least i seem to recall reading in the links/forum that it was done.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
are there any modern space dogfighting games like this? why did this genre die?

Right now there is Elite: Dangerous, and in another year or so Star Citizen. The genera died because games moved away from PC centric to console centric for development. And since consoles had limited peripherals, complex control schemes used to play these types of games were either very expensive to do, or simply not possible. Add in the fact that publishers became super risk adverse and won't touch something "new" (or in this case, "old") which hasn't had a recent (i.e. last 6-12 months) release of a similar genera game to point at market/consumer demand for such a game, well, they simply say, no to the funding of such a game.

If you look at the last 5-10 years of game development, there has been really only one new genera (outside of phone based games) that appeared, which was the music/rythem games such as Guitar Hero, and Rock Band. Guitar Hero only really came about because of the older drum rythem games, which had a very small following, but existed non-the-less. But to create "Rock Band" which involved combining the drum rythem games, with the recent hit, guitar rythem games, and the older sing-star singing games, the development studio had to basically quit and form a new company because the publisher didn't want to take the risk (they are THAT risk adverse!), even though millions of people were screaming all over the place drooling at the chance to do an entire band since they knew all the pieces where there separately in different games.

Anyway back to the point, the point is publishers don't like risk. They want to make a game that they are certain they will make their money back. The only way to be certain they will make their money back is to essentially remake a game that is already making money with very little changes to it for who knows what small change may make the game no longer make money...

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
I was able get to work AND re-map my 360 controller for the 98 version of Tie Fighter. Haven't tried the X-wing game yet...

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Pity the only way to get the best soundtrack is to play the classic DOS version (also included.) That soundtrack constantly changed to match the action on the screen and was BLOODY AMAZING!!!

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Pity the only way to get the best soundtrack is to play the classic DOS version (also included.) That soundtrack constantly changed to match the action on the screen and was BLOODY AMAZING!!!

You know I was reading the forums and other people were complaining about this too. I didn't give that any thought as I have the music turned off.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010

Agreed. The canned Star Wars music that comes with the Special Edition is classic, but not as impactful as the dynamic MIDI soundtrack of the original.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
One of the posters' response cracked me up:

"I remember the first time I figured out I could not only change my laser shot pattern, but also the orientation of my shields I was speechless for the next fifteen minutes. Then I found out you could change the Engines/Lasers/Shields levels, and wondered if I'd somehow peeked behind the curtain and seen the face of god."

source: http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

seriously, rerouting all power to the engines in a TIE Defender = ludicrous speed go!

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Agreed. The canned Star Wars music that comes with the Special Edition is classic, but not as impactful as the dynamic MIDI soundtrack of the original.

I suppose the GOOD news is that thanks to modern Windows, the General MIDI provided by Windows is far better than the FM Soundblasters people mostly had during the day. (I would often rub it in that my Roland SUPER Sound Canvas made the game mind-blowingly-freaking-AWESOME! :wub::wub:

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I suppose the GOOD news is that thanks to modern Windows, the General MIDI provided by Windows is far better than the FM Soundblasters people mostly had during the day. (I would often rub it in that my Roland SUPER Sound Canvas made the game mind-blowingly-freaking-AWESOME! :wub::wub:

I had a Sound Blaster AWE32 which Tie Fighter had native support for. I can't even express how awesome that card sounded at the time. I can't compare it to your Roland as I didn't hear one, but the AWE32 destroyed general midi and the MT-32 with games that supported it directly. E-Mu was awesome, hence the name. :) Well, it stood for Advanced WaveEffects..but my name is cooler.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
The AWE32 brought affordable MIDI sound to the masses. It was no Roland Sound Canvas, but for its price it utterly destroyed the OPL FM chips before it - and you could load completely new instrument sounds into it as well! Great for budding musicians like myself. ;)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Ordered a joystick for this game. I tried using a controller but it's simply not good enough. Well, it was good enough for me to take on 6 A-Wings in a Tie Advanced, but I need a joystick for maximum effectiveness! :D:D

edit: my gamepad worked perfectly fine (logitech). i expect my joystick will as well.

Last edited:

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
Ordered a joystick for this game. I tried using a controller but it's simply not good enough. Well, it was good enough for me to take on 6 A-Wings in a Tie Advanced, but I need a joystick for maximum effectiveness! :D:D

edit: my gamepad worked perfectly fine (logitech). i expect my joystick will as well.

What kind of joystick did you get?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Since I never played the original with anything other than the Gravis Pro I used the modern next best thing for these re-releases, the Thrustmaster T.16000M. Works flawlessly without any config changes at all.