Wyoming setting money aside to sue Colorado for their energy policies

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I mean the deplorables just keep trying to outdo themselves as hypocritical garbage. Fuck that shithole state.

A new Wyoming law that sets aside money to sue states whose policies hamper the use of Wyoming coal was passed in part with Colorado in mind, the sponsor said.

The bill recently signed into law allocates $1.2 million to the governor’s office for lawsuits against states with laws and regulations that impede Wyoming’s ability to export coal or force the early closures of coal-fired plants in the state. Wyoming is the country’s No.1 coal producer and the move to more renewable energy because of dropping prices of wind and solar power and concerns about climate change has battered the Cowboy State’s coal industry.

Rep. Jeremy Haroldson, a Republican from Wheatland, said in a telephone interview Tuesday that Colorado laws setting targets for renewable energy and greenhouse-gas emission generated by utilities infringe on his state’s commerce. One of the issues, he said, are Colorado laws passed in 2019 that established goals for reducing emissions and the impact they could have on a coal-fired power plant partially owned by Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association.

LOLOL

deplorables.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I mean the deplorables just keep trying to outdo themselves as hypocritical garbage. Fuck that shithole state.

A new Wyoming law that sets aside money to sue states whose policies hamper the use of Wyoming coal was passed in part with Colorado in mind, the sponsor said.

The bill recently signed into law allocates $1.2 million to the governor’s office for lawsuits against states with laws and regulations that impede Wyoming’s ability to export coal or force the early closures of coal-fired plants in the state. Wyoming is the country’s No.1 coal producer and the move to more renewable energy because of dropping prices of wind and solar power and concerns about climate change has battered the Cowboy State’s coal industry.

Rep. Jeremy Haroldson, a Republican from Wheatland, said in a telephone interview Tuesday that Colorado laws setting targets for renewable energy and greenhouse-gas emission generated by utilities infringe on his state’s commerce. One of the issues, he said, are Colorado laws passed in 2019 that established goals for reducing emissions and the impact they could have on a coal-fired power plant partially owned by Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association.

LOLOL

deplorables.
God damn snowflakes trying to cancel Wyoming now or whatever.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

LOLOL

deplorables.
The party of states rights and local control strikes again.....

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I can't even comprehend all the ways a win in court on this issue could backfire on Wyoming and other "conservative" states when places like California and New York sue them for infringing on THEIR commerce.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I have never heard of this legal theory. The Constitution grants the federal government the power to "regulate commerce...among the several states." However, the power is not denied to the states. It's just that under the supremacy clause, IF Congress chooses to pass a law regulating interstate commerce in some way, it will override any state law which conflicts with it. Which certainly does not mean one state can't pass a law which says, "it's illegal to buy coal from another state" or to set a maximum quota on it. So long as Congress hasn't passed any law to the contrary, it's perfectly constitutional for the states to do so.

As usual, these people are full of crap.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Thermal coal out of Powder River is going to basically zero by 2030 and pretending it's not just makes you look stupid. Legislators in WY don't seem to have a problem with that however. Maybe they'll officially change the name of coal to freedom rocks or something too.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Thermal coal out of Powder River is going to basically zero by 2030 and pretending it's not just makes you look stupid. Legislators in WY don't seem to have a problem with that however. Maybe they'll officially change the name of coal to freedom rocks or something too.
I wouldn’t be shocked if they tried to reclassify coal as renewable because the earth will make more in about 300 million years.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My got sucked out of me when I got informed this already existed when I started mine. /s

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
As much as I like Wyoming, this really is a bad move. I am in support of free Enterprise and this is not it. Most republicans I thought were as well.

Reactions: Thump553

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Well, I have some nuclear waste for sale. Should the Wyoming state house have or attempt to pass any laws regulating the disposal of nuclear waste in their state house in any way, I am going to sue them until they pay me to dump nuclear waste in their offices.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I have never heard of this legal theory. The Constitution grants the federal government the power to "regulate commerce...among the several states." However, the power is not denied to the states. It's just that under the supremacy clause, IF Congress chooses to pass a law regulating interstate commerce in some way, it will override any state law which conflicts with it. Which certainly does not mean one state can't pass a law which says, "it's illegal to buy coal from another state" or to set a maximum quota on it. So long as Congress hasn't passed any law to the contrary, it's perfectly constitutional for the states to do so.

As usual, these people are full of crap.

that would violate dormant commerce clause. so, yes, that would be unconstitutional.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's just the GOP doing their usual to blame somebody else for their inherent inability to govern in the interests of the people. The handwriting has been on the wall for coal power generation for some while. The whole market has shifted in the direction of natural gas & renewables. Failure to embrace wind turbines is completely insane, given that the wind always blows in Wyoming. At lot.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Let me tell you something interesting. WY may not loose its mining industry, if they start mining graphite instead of coal. Graphite has usage outside of burning, for example its use in pencils. Even if they continue to mine carbon related items, there uses outside of burning for carbon. One example is the usage of carbon in tbe production of Carbon fibre-reinforced silicon carbide (C/SiC) disk breaks, which are used in majority of aircrafts and some cars. Another use of carbon outside of burning, is its use as the main component of carbon based atmospheric re-entry heat sheilds, like the one used in the Space Shuttle.

Colorado and other states sued can say that in defence, with claiming that the law suit is being designed to only benefit the coal power-plant industry, and has nothing to do with the sale of coal or other carbon items that have been mined. That is because they have other sources of sale for their carbon items that have been mined, as described above.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Let me tell you something interesting. WY may not loose its mining industry, if they start mining graphite instead of coal. Graphite has usage outside of burning, for example its use in pencils. Even if they continue to mine carbon related items, there uses outside of burning for carbon. One example is the usage of carbon in tbe production of Carbon fibre-reinforced silicon carbide (C/SiC) disk breaks, which are used in majority of aircrafts and some cars. Another use of carbon outside of burning, is its use as the main component of carbon based atmospheric re-entry heat sheilds, like the one used in the Space Shuttle.

Colorado and other states sued can say that in defence, with claiming that the law suit is being designed to only benefit the coal power-plant industry, and has nothing to do with the sale of coal or other carbon items that have been mined. That is because they have other sources of sale for their carbon items that have been mined, as described above.
natural graphite is rare. synthetic graphite is derived from petroleum - https://nucleus.iaea.org/sites/graphiteknowledgebase/wiki/Guide_to_Graphite/Manufacturing and Production of Graphite.aspx
carbon fibers are derived from polymers such as PAN - (poly)acrylonitrile. Polymers are also derived from petroleum (something like 5% of the oil market goes to polymer manufacture. vast majority is transportation).

edit: the state should be pivoting to clean energy rather than trying to prop up a dying industry.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Please. Thermal coal is easily the lion's share of all mining in Wyoming. It's a huge source of revenue. They're already mining anything else that's profitable.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Environmental regulation propped up Wyoming's coal industry for decades as Wyoming has an abundance of low sulfur coal not available in the eastern coalfields. Times they are a-changin'.