WWII Soldier Killed at Parade Honoring Veterans...

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
BOSTON (Reuters) - William Hammond survived one of the bloodiest battles of World War II but died at a parade honoring him and others after a van at a Veteran's Day parade ran over him.
Hammond, of Abington, Mass., was accidentally run over during a parade Thursday in Whitman, Mass. by a van owned by the local Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter and driven by a close friend of his, according to Boston's WBZ radio station.

Hammond, 80, fought in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944-1945, one of the toughest offensives of World War II as under-equipped U.S. soldiers fended off a last-ditch German offensive in one of Europe's bitterest winters.

Whitman police were not available to comment.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

WWII Soldier Killed at Parade Honoring Veterans :(

Oct 9, 1999
rose.gif
for serving and RIP!

dderidex

Platinum Member
Mar 13, 2001
While it is definately not funny, this is the textbook definition of 'ironic'.
2. characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
i heard about this on the radio this morning but didnt catch the details...
what a way to go; survive WW2; live to be 80...and get hit by a van in a parade =( poor guy

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Wow, to fight in historic battles, especially after watching Saving Private Ryan last night for the first time, It is hard for me to believe a hero of his magnitude could befall such luck. RIP. Very sad story.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
BOSTON (Reuters) - William Hammond survived one of the bloodiest battles of World War II but died at a parade honoring him and others after a van at a Veteran's Day parade ran over him.
Hammond, of Abington, Mass., was accidentally run over during a parade Thursday in Whitman, Mass. by a van owned by the local Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter and driven by a close friend of his, according to Boston's WBZ radio station.

Hammond, 80, fought in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944-1945, one of the toughest offensives of World War II as under-equipped U.S. soldiers fended off a last-ditch German offensive in one of Europe's bitterest winters.

Whitman police were not available to comment.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

WWII Soldier Killed at Parade Honoring Veterans :(

Oh man, the unlce in my sig was at the Battle of the Bulge. I'll bet my uncle knew him. :(
rose.gif

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
He served his country in the greatest endeavor in history and survived to come home and live a long life and die in his homeland. As sad as this story is, I think in a way he might have been happy to go out like that...

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
He served his country in the greatest endeavor in history and survived to come home and live a long life and die in his homeland. As sad as this story is, I think in a way he might have been happy to go out like that...

I agree... much better than spending the last years of his life sick in bed, methinks. But then again, who knows what else he could have done with his life...

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
R.I.P., Mr. Hammond. :beer:

Sadly, one of his peers (i.e. elderly, handicapped and having no business driving) killed him. Almost fitting, depending on your point of view.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for our VFWs. But it's they that cause the accidents. Ironic and sad that today they killed one of their own.

Sadly, the driver, (now a murderer...) probably has no recollection of what he did.

Yet another reason for mandatory Driver License Retesting every 5 years past the age of 55.