WW2 vet dies of a broken heart after his wife of 65 years is killed in home invasion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
And that would be?

Granny should have been armed, I guess. Could have saved the tax payers some??

Really? You think the only way to stop people from being criminal murderers is to have someone else kill them during the eventual crime?

Do you believe some people are just 'born bad'? Or is it possible that in our society maybe we could get to a point where no one becomes the monster that kills an old lady?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Really? You think the only way to stop people from being criminal murderers is to have someone else kill them during the eventual crime?

Do you believe some people are just 'born bad'? Or is it possible that in our society maybe we could get to a point where no one becomes the monster that kills an old lady?
I believe some people are just "born bad", although the vast majority of monsters are made.

Sep 7, 2009
I believe some people are just "born bad", although the vast majority of monsters are made.

I think that certain people are born with the 'bad' gene switch flipped, although with good parenting they turn out to be fantastic people. However, with no (or bad) parenting they quickly develop into, as you perfectly describe, monsters.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think that certain people are born with the 'bad' gene switch flipped, although with good parenting they turn out to be fantastic people. However, with no (or bad) parenting they quickly develop into, as you perfectly describe, monsters.
I would say some people are born bad and cannot be fixed, some are born with bad tendencies and can be fixed, and some people are just people and are turned evil by their experiences. Mostly that's probably bad parenting, but it's also possible that a parent or parents are good, but submerged in a situation they don't have the power to control and that environment turns a child evil. If one is raising a child in a gang-ridden urban jungle, it's probably very difficult to instill good values since the child's observations are that violence and lawlessness are what keep you safe and respected.

Thus it follows that the rational and responsible thing to do is find out what makes monsters and counteract those things.
Agreed. That's a large part of the reason we have a war on poverty, subsidized housing, free public education, child abuse laws, etc.

Let me put it like this. To know a group of people would do this, I wanna know and want all of that group in jail or in the ground.
Agreed.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This happens a lot with old people. WHen a partner dies, the other follows a couple of months later...

As for punishment, an iron maiden would suffice.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Fucking animal. One good thing about shitty places in the Middle East and Asia (or even medievel torture) is their forms of punishment. Cut this fuckers head off, hang him, stone him, draw and quarter him, put him in a rack... in front of his shithead family that undoubtedly contribued to this fucking animals shitheadedness, and make them clean up the mess.

America, in my opinion, is WAY too soft on violent criminals. Eye for an eye, fuck that Ghandi "leaves a whole world blind" crap, it'd leave a lot more shit heads permanently disabled.

I feel for this man, his wife, and their family, may they rest in peace.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Isn't it great how the one thing that would make America great is if we tortured and executed people at the drop of a hat? I mean, world leaders in human rights like China and Saudi Arabia can't be wrong.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Isn't it great how the one thing that would make America great is if we tortured and executed people at the drop of a hat? I mean, world leaders in human rights like China and Saudi Arabia can't be wrong.

Yes, murderers, child molestors, and rapists. Destroy them.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Yes, murderers, child molestors, and rapists. Destroy them.

Still not seeing how this improves the country. Then again, I'm trying to find reason from someone who wrote this:
chimaxi83 said:
Fucking animal. One good thing about shitty places in the Middle East and Asia (or even medievel torture) is their forms of punishment. Cut this fuckers head off, hang him, stone him, draw and quarter him, put him in a rack... in front of his shithead family that undoubtedly contribued to this fucking animals shitheadedness, and make them clean up the mess.

So I'm not expecting much.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
What's your point? You're free to have whatever opinion you'd like, bud. As am I.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Thanks for the pic. Confirmed what we all undoubtedly suspected.

Look like the FBI needs to update their crime stats on certain group of minority more often or the data would be invalid very soon.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Still not seeing how this improves the country. Then again, I'm trying to find reason from someone who wrote this:

America, in my opinion, is WAY too soft on violent criminals. Eye for an eye, fuck that Ghandi "leaves a whole world blind" crap, it'd leave a lot more shit heads permanently disabled.

I feel for this man, his wife, and their family, may they rest in peace.

So I'm not expecting much.

Eliminating murderers, rapists and child molesters improves society by reducing/eliminating predators.
I don't support torture/maiming under MOST conditions, but in some situations...it might be justified.

Any criminal who has shown repeatedly that he (or she) can't live within "polite society" and live by its rules should not have the chance to keep getting out of prison and victimizing those who can and do. Making the taxpayers fund their "cross bars hotel and spa" stays is unfair to the law abiding citizens.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

You can minimize the number of "monsters" in society, but you can't eliminate them. Not everyone cares to do the "right" thing, as others have noted. Some people are just born defective.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I would say some people are born bad and cannot be fixed, some are born with bad tendencies and can be fixed, and some people are just people and are turned evil by their experiences.

And sometimes otherwise good people, in the heat of passion, do bad things. There's all sorts of ways bad things happen.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
You can minimize the number of "monsters" in society, but you can't eliminate them. Not everyone cares to do the "right" thing, as others have noted. Some people are just born defective.

As long as you all admit that this is your "feeling" and not based on anything substantive.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
As long as you all admit that this is your "feeling" and not based on anything substantive.

The fact that murder, robbery, and other forms of criminal violence are present within every human group of, say, 500+ people is pretty substantive. I don't know that any decent-sized group of people has ever existed without some sort of criminal behavior, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'd like to hear about such a group if they ever existed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The fact that murder, robbery, and other forms of criminal violence are present within every human group of, say, 500+ people is pretty substantive. I don't know that any decent-sized group of people has ever existed without some sort of criminal behavior, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'd like to hear about such a group if they ever existed.

We are animals, you're looking for the impossible.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

How does that prove someone is "born bad"? If anything it suggests that all societies seem to generate monsters. Finding those factors that lead to it is the key to stopping it.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Nope. Just wondered what your prevention technique/ideas would be. Haven't seen you post any. In this case, Granny having a gun would have been a good thing if she had had the opportunity to use it. Tyrone is a waste of air.

Like werepossum said, I think there are some that are just messed up from the start but most are made by society.

One part of the picture is nurturing. If babies/small children don't get it, they don't learn empathy. So if I put a bullet in your head or one in a tree, it's all good. After the 3rd+ generation of babies having babies, there are a lot of hurting/neglected children out there.

Another is the lack of a father (or a shitty one) in the house. Boys don't learn what a man should be so they "puff up", put on airs, inflate their own ego so that they can feel better about themselves and "impress" their peers. This will lead to a pecking order and, with no other strong/meaningful guidance, gangs.

Depending on which psyco babble you believe, our basic personalities are formed way before 10 years of age.

So, Jack, what would you do/recommend starting today. Throwing $$ at it hasn't helped. You can't make parents be good ones or even present. There are a few in the communities that want better but they are too few. The leaders just give lip service.