wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
My kids are having a hard time with spelling, kinda funny i came across this piece on just the subject.

linky

Dood, yer cidz r gonna ind up werking at bugr cing! :p

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
More and more people are doing it, why not continue the trend? Scroo da inglish itz dum. I give it another 50 years before we're back to eating bananas and flinging our feces at one another.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: So
most words are already basically spelled the way they sound....all we've done is gotten lazy about pronouncing a letter or two here or there over time.

Yeah, and for the love of God, it's probably, not probly or prolly. And on the same note, Com-for-ta-ble, not comfterble.

my wife has polish remover, why do pollacks need removing? ;)

They are untermensch?

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Lonyo
"It's a very difficult thing to get something accepted like this," says Alan Mole, president of the American Literacy Council, which favors an end to "illogical spelling." The group says English has 42 sounds spelled in a bewildering 400 ways.

Instead of 42 sounds spelt 400 ways, we would have 42 words spelt 400 ways because everyone pronounced the words differently.

not really. put /gut listen to the u sound, its different. I think its because english is a language that absorbs words from other languages while maintaining its germanic constructions.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
English is originally Germanic, but then there are three waves of Latin borrowing (Romance), and the latest from the French (William the Conquerer, also Romance).