wut?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The US invades Iraq and is warned about the possible destabilising consequences in the region. 10 years later the whole region is unstable and some people blame Islam?! What the fuck?

Yes, It was very stable before we invaded.... Riiight!

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Isn't continually parroting 'religion of peace' an attempt to stereotype as well?

I've seen " religion of peace" repeated here repeated here on this board a billion times more then I've ever heard of it coming from a Muslim source

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

TROLLERCAUST

Mar 17, 2014
Yes, you did imply that the US invasion of Iraq destabilized the region.

Yes but nowhere did I claim that the region was "very stable" before the invasion. It's called a strawman I guess.

I'm saying that what is happening now in the Middle East is partly caused by the US invasion of Iraq. As a result hundreds of thousands, mostly innocent civilians, have died and millions, again civilians, have had to flee their homes. The US invasion of Iraq was a massive mistake. You were warned but chose to ignore it and even turned your back to the French for example with stupid nonsense like "freedom fries". The civilians have to suffer the consequences as is usual in war.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yes but nowhere did I claim that the region was "very stable" before the invasion. It's called a strawman I guess.

I'm saying that what is happening now in the Middle East is partly caused by the US invasion of Iraq. As a result hundreds of thousands, mostly innocent civilians, have died and millions, again civilians, have had to flee their homes. The US invasion of Iraq was a massive mistake. You were warned but chose to ignore it and even turned your back to the French for example with stupid nonsense like "freedom fries". The civilians have to suffer the consequences as is usual in war.

You call it a mistake, but I'm not so sure.

The middle east has been a powder keg for a while. There has been in fighting between the different factions for a while. Relatively recently a few factions had started to beat out the other factions. Those factions that had started to take over were not very pro American as they were not pro anything other than their faction. There was likely no way to peace with groups who want to drive out anyone other than their kind.

So what is the US to do? AH HA! Find and destabilize a linchpin and cause more infighting and hope this roll we get better winners.

We tried this on a small scale with Iran (failed), Iraq (Gulf war, failed). Well crap...

9/11 happens.

We learned we need to go big or go home. We Go into Afghanistan and then Iraq, mix in a dash of money and supplies and bake for a few years.

Then what pops out are protests and civil wars.

So if you look at it that way, it was a success, because success is subjective. :)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
in what realm of existance do you live sir?

Both of you need to study the middle east. They can't get along with anyone and have been fighting and killing men women and children for centuries.

They have never been stable. They were fucked up before the USA even existed.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Both of you need to study the middle east. They can't get along with anyone and have been fighting and killing men women and children for centuries.

I don't think anyone should take history lessons from someone who is twisting a historical quote for political reasons.
Why would liberals have a problem with John Smith saying the rich should have to work the fields too?

TROLLERCAUST

Mar 17, 2014

You need to learn to read and use some fucking sense in your posts.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I don't think anyone should take history lessons from someone who is twisting a historical quote for political reasons.
Why would liberals have a problem with John Smith saying the rich should have to work the fields too?

I didn't say take history lessons "From Me". Are you saying the middle east hasn't been slaughtering their own for centuries?

My signature quote doesn't have anything to do with this topic. Liberals always hate it when you try to make someone accountable for their own actions or inaction.