Wusssifying the Army Rangers??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
BTW: Here is some good info on that hack Hackworth. He isn't worthy to be called a professional soldier. more like a professional whiney, corrupt, bi%^#. The only reason he didn't get a dishonorable discharge was because he lawyered up with a damn civillian attorney.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2381/sidebar/51012/[/Q

What a loser...

Yeah, anyone who can't make a proper link here is a loser. :)

Linkified

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
1. Hackworth - great soldier who was popular with his men not so much with the brass. He's his own biggest fan. The career Army guys I know dismiss him as a rabble rouser. The junior enlisted and junior officers are his fan base.

No doubt about that he's a rabble rouser Dave. Is this a bad thing? He's a thron to the command I'm sure when he visits various bases he pisses people off as noted in the porcelin soldiers piece when the General turned red at Hacks persistent questioning of methodology. I feel he did'nt make General a) well no Academy does'nt help b) former enlisted man does'nt help c) Rabble Rouser.. Sometimes it hurts to hear unpleasant things and if you're in-your-face type of man, as hackworth is noted for doing, it tends to turn lots of "career minded" brass off. Anyway it's just a different no-nonsense approach which seems to get you called a dinosaur/neanderthal or what have you.
Good or bad I donno but definetly out of style these days.

Every generation in the .mil scoffs at what the current generation calls training. Whether its boot camp, jump school, CPO initiation, etc. , etc. the old guys always had it harder.

Hehe Yup the ole " I used to walk 10 miles to school uphill both ways in the snow" approach.;)

The guys I know at nucular power school were told specifically not to fail anyone. This is a program that historically fails greater than 50%. I would imagine this would be indicative of all services.
My understanding the navy nuke power schools only get the best and brightest. Like top 99% asvab's, no pre-enlistment crimminal or traffic violations, and generally had a heavy science (calc, chemistry) in HS. So we are not talking the same caliber student here. More often than not most of these kids are able and I see less of a problem with encouraging retention. Combat arms different. Different mission different caliber of students are attracted to it.

I have noticed that there has been a concerted effort to remove the 'mental stress' aspects out of a lot of military training. I think it is a mistake.
Agreed, hell week and intense mental stress is needed to be prepared for war/accidents/realism. IMO. Plus it builds character and a sence of accomplishment.

But with the overwhelming technological advantages the US military has, is this really necessary?

Since you seem to like fantasy here's something you might relate to:
Darth Vadar:

"Don't be so proud of this technological terror you've created. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. "

Men and women are eveything, the techology only makes thier job easier and safer, ultimatly it comes down to those utilizing the technologies and how they handle the unexpected. With good disiplined people it makes that mission just that much more safer and easier.

And don't kid yourself, Iraqi were sissys of the highest order. I said two weeks max before the war started and was only one day off, 13 days to get bagdad. Iraqis had little will, 1970s equipment, and are generally not known for thier warrior tradition. Bullies yes. Think about the Veitnam and the technological advantage we had or a place with ground cover like Korea.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
My understanding the navy nuke power schools only get the best and brightest. Like top 99% asvab's, no pre-enlistment crimminal or traffic violations, and generally had a heavy science (calc, chemistry) in HS. So we are not talking the same caliber student here. More often than not most of these kids are able and I see less of a problem with encouraging retention. Combat arms different. Different mission different caliber of students are attracted to it.

Your understanding is correct but that is not the point. The lowering of the training standards is the point.