WTV Compress - What do you use?

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I record a lot of shows in Win7 Media Center, and I need to compress them. I've looked into using MCEBuddy (http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/04/save-hd-space-using-mcebuddy-with-wtv.html), but I haven't looked much beyond that. I don't mind converting them to something else, but I want it to play natively in Media Center without the need for additional codecs.

Anways, what do you guys use to compress WTV files? I'd prefer something free, but I would pay for something if it's worth the money.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Handbrake can convert WinTV files to MP4 that would be easily seen by WMC, but I think you would have to manually convert each file, and they would show up in your Movies section rather than RecordedTV. This probably isn't the ideal solution, but it's an idea.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Thanks! I'll look into that.

I don't mind doing manual conversion. I can automate it eventually, but the biggest difference will be the first time I do the conversion/compression. We have over 100 hours of HD shows that use close to half the usable space on our 2TB drive. Once those are handled, then I can look into doing something automatic.

I already use Media Browser for shows I didn't record, so switching to that for everything would actually be a benefit.