WTH: It's illegal to carry a knife in the UK?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
How to report antisocial behavior to authorities in the UK. They also have cameras everywhere. I don?t think I?d want to live there.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MulLa
Wouldn't you feel safer in countries where carrying any potential weapon is illeagle rather than one where it's perfectly legal to carry firearms and that they're readily avaliable for purchase. True you can get one too for selfdefence but I would not want to find myself in a gun fight situation with any potential armed criminal.

no i wouldnt.

a criminal is going to do the crime if he has to use a gun, knife, bat or fork. it really is not going to matter.

just because it is against the law for them to own knives or guns do you really think that bothers the criminal? personally i would rather have a fighting chance if i feel my life or my family's is in danger.

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Wouldn't you feel safer in countries where carrying any potential weapon is illeagle rather than one where it's perfectly legal to carry firearms and that they're readily avaliable for purchase. True you can get one too for selfdefence but I would not want to find myself in a gun fight situation with any potential armed criminal.

no i wouldnt.

a criminal is going to do the crime if he has to use a gun, knife, bat or fork. it really is not going to matter.

just because it is against the law for them to own knives or guns do you really think that bothers the criminal? personally i would rather have a fighting chance if i feel my life or my family's is in danger.

Wouldn't outlawing them make it that much harder for criminals to acquire firearms and thus less chance of coming across them in our everyday life?

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that even if I have a gun my chances against another armed person isn't as good as running away from someone weilding a knife / fork / close range weapon.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: deftron
Originally posted by: notfred
It's illegal to carry a knife here (USA), unless it's in a shealth

:roll: Maybe in some places. There are no federal knife-carrying laws.

I think concealed weapon laws cover most of the US

Yes, most of them prohibit carrying concealed firearms without a permit. Some also prohibit certain knives. Show me any law in *any* state that makes carrying, say, a Swiss Army knife with a 3" blade illegal.

Also, concealed weapons laws wouldn't prohibit you from carrying a visible knife.

Also, what fvcking difference would it make whether or not it was in a sheath? Define sheath. Is a pocket a sheath?

The knives in that article's pic don't look like 3" blade Swiss Army knives

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

You'd sooner give up your right to defend yourself than excercise it. A common mentality among the sheeple.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
yeap. after guns people turn a knife. after that who knows? maybe they will outlaw forks.

What about the spoons? I heard theyre sharp too...

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Wouldn't outlawing them make it that much harder for criminals to acquire firearms and thus less chance of coming across them in our everyday life?

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that even if I have a gun my chances against another armed person isn't as good as running away from someone weilding a knife / fork / close range weapon.

Not at all.

Laws only keep things out of the hands of people who care what the laws are. To everyone else, that stuff is available.

For instance, drugs like cocaine are highly illegal in the US, yet you can easily find it just about everywhere. The average joe who cares about laws won't have it, but if you want it you could get it in 5 minutes.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It's illegal to carry a knife here (USA), unless it's in a shealth

The knives in that article's pic don't look like 3" blade Swiss Army knives

How are these two statements related?

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
It's only illegal to carry SOME knives in SOME states. There aren't any federal knife laws that would affect you UNLESS you're on federal property.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

Look up prohibition and see how well that went.

ddviper

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor

You'd sooner give up your right to defend yourself than excercise it. A common mentality among the sheeple.

Wrong I have defended my life twice, once using a knife when someone broke into my house with a gun, and the other with my hands when the attacker was weilding a knife. Ive never used deadly force, but I know for a fact I would not hesitate a second if the need arose.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: ddviper
Originally posted by: Nebor

Wrong I have defended my life twice, once using a knife when someone broke into my house with a gun, and the other with my hands when the attacker was weilding a knife. Ive never used deadly force, but I know for a fact I would not hesitate a second if the need arose.

Ahem.

May 16, 2000
Wouldn't you feel safer in countries where carrying any potential weapon is illeagle...

Absolutely 100% not. In fact, I would revolt, or move. The duty to protect oneself is entirely an individual responsibility...no one else can effectively do it for you. Furthermore, EVERYTHING is a potential weapon, including the person themselves. I've watched great demonstrations of how to kill with straws, pencils, credit cards, pieces of paper, etc. You cannot stop violence, therefore you must be prepared to meet and defeat those who would use it.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Wouldn't you feel safer in countries where carrying any potential weapon is illeagle...

Absolutely 100% not. In fact, I would revolt, or move. The duty to protect oneself is entirely an individual responsibility...no one else can effectively do it for you. Furthermore, EVERYTHING is a potential weapon, including the person themselves. I've watched great demonstrations of how to kill with straws, pencils, credit cards, pieces of paper, etc. You cannot stop violence, therefore you must be prepared to meet and defeat those who would use it.

i cant recall...havent at'ers linked to reports showing higher levels of crime and violence in the uk since firearm bans? i read recently (sorry though, i dont usually save links like this) that members of their police force are threatened several thousand times a year by someone with a firearm. for some reason, most of their police force has no interest in having their own, though there is some interest in more of them carrying stun guns.

i couldnt imagine being a cop, having some guy pull a gun on me, finding a way to get out of the situation, and then walk away thinking "god damn, wish id had a stun gun!"

May 26, 2006
I don't particularly see the need to carry one around with me, although at the train station, box hill, i used to get off at everyday for school, some guy got stabbed to death by some druggo a little while ago, good thing i moved to a country town i guess.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Some of you talk so much sh1t it's unreal. I live in the UK and you're allowed to use reasonable force (ie. not shooting people in the face like you frigging Yanks), you are also allowed to carry any knife under 3-6" in length depending on where you live.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ulfhednar
Some of you talk so much sh1t it's unreal. I live in the UK and you're allowed to use reasonable force (ie. not shooting people in the face like you frigging Yanks), you are also allowed to carry any knife under 3-6" in length depending on where you live.

Settle down, Beavis.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Phil
Originally posted by: Ulfhednar
Settle down, Beavis.
I'm settled dude. :) I just find it hillarious how much sh1t people talk here, it's totally unbelievable at times.

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Apparently it's illegal to carry a knife there without a "good reason."

near the end of the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5178720.stm

Meanwhile, Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said the government would continue working with police to spread the message that carrying knives "without a good reason" was against the law.

and then they have all their other stuff like a national license plate tracking system. I normally don't care about all the whiny privacy and rights crap here in the states, but the last few years the UK has been looking pretty lame.

Anyone have an idea what the gun and knive involved murder rates are in the UK and USA?

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: J Heartless Slick
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Apparently it's illegal to carry a knife there without a "good reason."

near the end of the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5178720.stm

Meanwhile, Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said the government would continue working with police to spread the message that carrying knives "without a good reason" was against the law.

and then they have all their other stuff like a national license plate tracking system. I normally don't care about all the whiny privacy and rights crap here in the states, but the last few years the UK has been looking pretty lame.

Anyone have an idea what the gun and knive involved murder rates are in the UK and USA?

That wouldnt really matter. Since guns are so readily availible in the US you naturally have a higher gun murder rate in the US. You would need to look at overall murder (and attempted murder rate) ...

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: B00ne
That wouldnt really matter. Since guns are so readily availible in the US you naturally have a higher gun murder rate in the US. You would need to look at overall murder (and attempted murder rate) ...

Murders with fireams
All murders

Figures from 1998-2000 I believe, but you get the idea. There may be better sources out there, the value of your pants may go up as well as down etc.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

no i wouldnt.

criminals don't worry about the law. its not going to stop them from obtaining them.