WTH: It's illegal to carry a knife in the UK?

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Apparently it's illegal to carry a knife there without a "good reason."

near the end of the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5178720.stm

Meanwhile, Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said the government would continue working with police to spread the message that carrying knives "without a good reason" was against the law.

and then they have all their other stuff like a national license plate tracking system. I normally don't care about all the whiny privacy and rights crap here in the states, but the last few years the UK has been looking pretty lame.

EDIT: lol, not to turn it into a flamefest, but sad, you can't even use FM transmitters for ipods and crap in the UK either: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5180958.stm

ddviper

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2004
I think self defence or the occasional cutting needed for everyday activities is a good reason.

That and cutting people

-Got blood?

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava

and then they have all their other stuff like a national license plate tracking system. I normally don't care about all the whiny privacy and rights crap here in the states, but the last few years the UK have been looking pretty lame.

If you don't nip it in the bud from the beginning, it can get out of control pretty fast.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: ddviper
I think self defence or the occasional cutting needed for everyday activities is a good reason.

That and cutting people

-Got blood?

Self-defense is illegal in the UK.

I'm not joking. You will face charges if you injure someone while defending yourself.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor

That and cutting people

-Got blood?

I'm not joking. You will face charges if you injure someone while defending yourself.

Yep. If someone breaks into your home you are expected to runaway. If you can't runaway, you are expected to completely cooperate with you assailant. I can't find the story now but this lead to a pretty horrific incident where a couple of burglars essentially tortured their victims.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeap. after guns people turn a knife. after that who knows? maybe they will outlaw forks.

ddviper

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy

That and cutting people

-Got blood?

Yep. If someone breaks into your home you are expected to runaway. If you can't runaway, you are expected to completely cooperate with you assailant. I can't find the story now but this lead to a pretty horrific incident where a couple of burglars essentially tortured their victims.

:Q WTF, that is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. No sir you cannot protect your own life from someone else just because you might hurt someone.

Wow thats just wow, I really cant think of anything to say bout that

Originally posted by: deftron
It's illegal to carry a knife here (USA), unless it's in a shealth

Heh Ive been doing something else illegal too for the past 10 or so years. I carry my knife right on the edge of my pants, the clips come in handy. Its in plain view sometimes, other times not so much; just depends on the shirt Im wearing

PS: No I dont carry a knife to work, but when I go out or anywhere besides an airport or work, I have my knife.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

:roll: Maybe in some places. There are no federal knife-carrying laws.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy

That and cutting people

-Got blood?

Well, that must be the dumbest couple in England. I bet they have the highest concentration of rapist in England then?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
come to think of it aren't they also trying to outlaw kitchen knives?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I don't think that's true. I carry a pocket knife all the time. I make a point to clip it on my pocket so that it's not concealed. I've never had a cop hassle me about it ever and I know they've seen it. I make sure it's not a automatic knife like Jack Bauer uses and it's all good. :D

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred

I think concealed weapon laws cover most of the US

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Well if it's illegal, then criminals won't be able to carry knives, just like they can no longer carry guns.

(sorry if I broke your sarcasm meter)

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
What do they use to cut their steacks? Do they use a kitchen knife national registry?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: everman
Well if it's illegal, then criminals won't be able to carry knives, just like they can no longer carry guns.

Wouldn't it be easier if they made laws against shooting or stabbing people? :p

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
Originally posted by: everman

Wouldn't it be easier if they made laws against shooting or stabbing people? :p

cant have the risk of someone going off and shooting or stabbing people! we have to protect them you know.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
lol, I love how the government sugarcoats everything with phrases like "national knive amnesty".

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

Yes, most of them prohibit carrying concealed firearms without a permit. Some also prohibit certain knives. Show me any law in *any* state that makes carrying, say, a Swiss Army knife with a 3" blade illegal.

Also, concealed weapons laws wouldn't prohibit you from carrying a visible knife.

Also, what fvcking difference would it make whether or not it was in a sheath? Define sheath. Is a pocket a sheath?

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
Wouldn't you feel safer in countries where carrying any potential weapon is illeagle rather than one where it's perfectly legal to carry firearms and that they're readily avaliable for purchase. True you can get one too for selfdefence but I would not want to find myself in a gun fight situation with any potential armed criminal.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Yes, most of them prohibit carrying concealed firearms without a permit. Some also prohibit certain knives. Show me any law in *any* state that makes carrying, say, a Swiss Army knife with a 3" blade illegal.

Also, concealed weapons laws wouldn't prohibit you from carrying a visible knife.

Also, what fvcking difference would it make whether or not it was in a sheath? Define sheath. Is a pocket a sheath?

the sheath part is what gets me. i own about 100 knifes (yeah yeah. i enjoy buying them heh). some i use for working on the farm othersi have becasue i liked the design.

i have a few folding knives that i carry all the time that do not have a sheath. heck only a few that i have have a sheath. granted i know some of them are not legal to carry.

I have never heard of a law that said you could nto carry a knife (folding one anyway) aroudn with you.