WTH? I have to pay shipping charges to get a product RMAd/replaced?

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
I've seen paying for one way but both ways?!?!
rolleye.gif

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Microsoft is trying to charge me tax on an item shipped to me in Georgia.....FROM OHIO. WTF is up with that?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
USUALLY paying 1 way is normal... but USUALLY free for them to send it back. Though it does make sense that you have to pay both ways. After all... if you have a VCR that's broken, you would bring it TO AND FROM the repair shop yourself - they're not responsible for it getting there or it getting back to you.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
USUALLY paying 1 way is normal... but USUALLY free for them to send it back. Though it does make sense that you have to pay both ways. After all... if you have a VCR that's broken, you would bring it TO AND FROM the repair shop yourself - they're not responsible for it getting there or it getting back to you.

Yeah...but the VCR shop = close to you.

-Ed

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Microsoft is trying to charge me tax on an item shipped to me in Georgia.....FROM OHIO. WTF is up with that?
Technically, if MS exists in Georgia, they're required by law to tax you. That's the general rule, but I don't know how they could have a brick and mortar there that's exclusively MS... unless they're doing a third party deal or something.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BruinEd03

Yeah...but the VCR shop = close to you.

-Ed
I don't think EPOX cares how close MichaelD is to them or not. They don't feel they're responsible for the method or distance of transportation. But they WILL fix it for free once it gets there. I'm not defending this practice... I'm saying it DOES make sense.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Yeah, but it's under warranty!! They should pay to ship it back to me...that's they way it's been w/other items in the past. Newegg pays for shipping back to you, don't they? (IIRC)

I just emailed Epox's tech folks. They have a nice form on their site that you fill out w/the pertinent info. Hopefully, I hear from them tomorrow. Here's what I told them:

--Details--
The board never was really boot-stable from day one, but I lived with it. Every once in awhile it would refuse to post, shutting itself off right after you hit the power button. Fans would spin up and you'd see a flash of info on the monitor, but it would crash. Once it got thru post, Windows loaded normally and ran just fine. Gradually, the posting/shutdown problem got worse and worse.

Currently, it posts half the time,but hangs right after the Highpoint bios does it check for drives, refusing to go any further. Morever, trying to hit CTRL-H to get into the highpoint bios does not work. The board is unresponsive to the KB input. Most of the time, if you try and restart it (hit the power button) it will start up and immediately die as soon as it starts to boot.

I have replaced the power supply TWICE. First w/an identical Antec 400W, then w/an Antec Trupower 430-watt. Same problem. I've swapped out memory, loaded "optimized defaults" etc. I even flashed the bios from the original to the November 2002 edition, and tried clearing the CMOS about a thousand times, but it still does it.

Please replace this board with a known good one. Thanks very much.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Yeah, but it's under warranty!! They should pay to ship it back to me...that's they way it's been w/other items in the past. Newegg pays for shipping back to you, don't they? (IIRC)
... the difference between a GOOD company that cares about its customers and well... others. Could have something to do with it being the manufacturer vs. a retailer (distributor) too.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
You would figure that since they manufactured it improperly, and sold it to you under the pretense that it works flawless for the amt of time warrantied for, they would pay for shipping both ways.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Technically, if MS exists in Georgia, they're required by law to tax you. That's the general rule, but I don't know how they could have a brick and mortar there that's exclusively MS... unless they're doing a third party deal or something.
If they've got a B&M in GA, then why not ship the damn thing from there instead of Ohio? That makes zero sense (although this is M$ we're talking about)....

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I think it comes down to us being spoiled by the free shipping policies of a lot of retailers. Typically... like my VCR example... they will cover your warranty... but nothing else. You bring your car to the shop the day after you buy it... they don't pay for your gas to get it there or for you to drive it back home no matter what the problem.