WTH happened to Kevin Smith?!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: kenshorin
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
...where he morphed into a car...

Off-topic but this post made me think of it, wasn't there an old cartoon where some teenage kid would morph into a car whenever he touched water? What was that called again?

Turbo Teen.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: TC2181
Obligatory "I owe you another movie since we are friends and Chasing Amy was lame" movie.

chasing amy was not lame:beer:

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
He grew up. He decided to make something that everyone can enjoy. Sounds like no one here has seen the movie. KS is all about dialog which I'm told this movie has. Why would he want to keep making the same movies over and over. He's tired of the 'Clerks' characters and wont be making another one. If you don't want to see his latest movie, so be it. He hasn't sold out.

BTW, his next two projects are the Green Hornet and a new Fletch movie.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Alkaline5
How did he go from making Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back to making Jersey Girl?

He's maturing as a writer/director. I was an all-out View Askew fan. Active forum member, owned all the movies, and even drove to LA from Phoenix to hear Kevin speak in person (got to shake his hand). But after age 25 or so, those kind of movies grow old. IMO, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was the worst in his library of movies. No substance to it at all. I don't think he should start shooting for Oscars... you can do a fart/dick movie very well (see Tommy Boy). But his movies were just getting dumb.

I don't have high expectations for Jersey Girl, but I think it's a necessary transition from Jay & Silent Bob to Fletch and the 6 Million Dollar Man.

Manzelle

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Rob9874

He's maturing as a writer/director. I was an all-out View Askew fan. Active forum member, owned all the movies, and even drove to LA from Phoenix to hear Kevin speak in person (got to shake his hand). But after age 25 or so, those kind of movies grow old. IMO, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was the worst in his library of movies. No substance to it at all. I don't think he should start shooting for Oscars... you can do a fart/dick movie very well (see Tommy Boy). But his movies were just getting dumb.

I don't have high expectations for Jersey Girl, but I think it's a necessary transition from Jay & Silent Bob to Fletch and the 6 Million Dollar Man.

You're right...Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is definitely the worst movie in his library...I can't even watch the entire movie any more...
Is he writing the script for The Six Million Dollar Man...IMDB does not have him credited for anything when it comes to that film...
Fletch Won and The Green Hornet are his next two projects according to IMDB...but, they have been known to be wrong before...

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999

I can understand him wanting to do something different after the "Clerks"-based series of films, but I just can't respect another mundane romance movie. To make it worse, both Affleck and JLo are in it. (I understand she dies right away, though, so that's at least something good.)

You liked Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jdini76
Can't somebody do something different...if he were to make the same ole stuff, I am sure this thread would read "WTH why can't kevin smith do something different!?!?!"

Hey, I'm all for different. That's why I don't understand Jersey Girl, there's nothing "different" about it. KS has been involved in a few good non-Clerks projects (Good Will Hunting, anyone?) that were unconventional but still successfull. I hope Jersey Girl turns out to be more than just cookie-cutter romance, but nothing I've heard or seen about it so far makes me think so.

KS was not involved in Good Will Hunting.

woodly6

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Lager
Two words: SELL OUT

"Sellout" is the cry of the garage band fan who wants to keep a good thing to himself; the kinda folks who'd govern your growth by insisting you never diversify.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
First off I liked Jay and Silent Bob SB. Come on, the cameo scenes are priceless. Also, this new movie has Carlin with a decent size role, that's a good enough reason for me to rent this flick.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: xboxist
(I understand she dies right away, though, so that's at least something good.)

Thanks for the warning, ass.

Are you serious? I'm so sorry I spoiled the surprise of the 2-minute movie trailer for you. His wife dies and he meets Liv Tyler. There, now you don't even have to pay to see the movie.
rolleye.gif