WTFBBQ? Bankrupt Detroit going ahead with $100M+ light rail and getting Fed $ for it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Given the economically depressed condition of Detroit and the fact that major funding for the project is coming from elsewhere, this strikes me as a good idea.

Money is actually pouring into Detroit from a number of private developers since land is so cheap. I'm hoping this bankruptcy lets the city proper get back on it's feet.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Bankruptcy?
Since when does a bankrupt not have a cell phone, directv, Internet, Xbox, and... dadada... ITS A NEW CAR !!!
Think of this like a gambler.
You're not really spending money, you're potentually making money.
In this case, federal money.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
First, glenn1 needs to edit the title of this thread. Nowhere in the article does it state it's a $500 million project.

...celebrating a long-fought-for green light on a $137 million infrastructure project...

Second, out of that $137 million, $100 million was raised through private/non-profit/local sources, and $25 million was kicked in by the Feds (they are throwing large amounts of money at mass transit projects across the country, not just Detroit). It's paid for because the people in Detroit want it and raised $100 million for it, not because some government goon green-lighted it.

Third, even experienced mental midgets should know that a viable light-rail system has to start somewhere. Whether it's 1 cm of track or 3.3 miles of it, you can't snap your fingers and make an entire transportation grid magically appear. You start small.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You're not really spending money, you're potentually making money.
Well, except for the pesky fact that they're actually spending money. $100 million that was raised from private businesses, non-profits and locals.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So where is this $9 million dollars going to come from? Is that $500 million of economic development going to help the people whose pension benefits and the bond holders who will get shafted by the bankruptcy?

Well you could read the article or read the thread, Not like the answer is 4 posts above your question or anything :rolleyes:

I am not sure what you mean by people having to walk through "dangerous" areas to get on the train. I'm sure the TV told you that everywhere in Detroit is dangerous. Common sense would tell you that these places would be in much nicer areas that have the space. I can think of a few areas off the top of my head that they could put these stations. Again, they don't need that many stops for a 3 mile trip.

I think part of it is they are trying to deal with a stigma about the buses. Some people view the buses as 'scary' and, as they cover a much larger area, have a higher chance of having 'dangerous' people on them. A 3.3 mile train along Woodward is going to likely go from the river up to Wayne State in the 'safe' corridor of Detroit.

3.3 miles doesn't sound like that much but it interconnects a lot of Detroit's thriving areas

Now - will it generate $500m - $1bn? I doubt it but since none of the funds come from the coffers that declared bankruptcy and a lot comes from private sources I don't see much harm to the city in trying

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
It's amusing to hear people who have never been Detroit claim to know exactly what the City does and doesn't need.

Having lived and worked in Detroit, I can tell you that this rail project, while scaled back from the original idea, is a good start to help continue that growth that's taking place in the Woodward corridor. That's why it's supported by so many business leaders in the City because, while it's phase 1 of a larger project, it's a needed step.

Now, excuse me while I troll local newspapers of cities I've never been to and criticize their decisions.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Given the economically depressed condition of Detroit and the fact that major funding for the project is coming from elsewhere, this strikes me as a good idea.
This money would be better spent building prison walls around the entire City of Detroit. It is high time that poor communities are punished for making America look bad.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not familiar enough with Detroit to comment on how great an idea this is, but I certainly know that having a good light rail has been a great experience in Denver. Our car is used mainly on the weekends just to head up to the mtns.

An expanded system in Detroit could greatly affect the economic turnaround of the city.