WTF!!?? You get divorced, and if your spouse can't make it on their own, you can be forced by law to give them money!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
WTH?? I'm watching this crap on Dateline right now. What kind of shiznit is that?

I can't belive that this is an actual law. This woman got divorced, couldn't find a job (WTF???), and the court can order her ex-husband to give her a $14,000 upfront settlement, and $7,000 a month b/c she "used" to live that way.

WTF kinda of crap is that!!!!!!!

When I find a link on the NBC site, I'll post a link.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Its called alimony. >>

This is AFTER the fact. She didn't agree to alimony during the signing of the divorce. It was a mutual seperation and they went their seperated ways. She was not getting payment originally.

But, she couldn't hack it in the real world and now she wants some $$$

Give me a *%&amp;@($@ break!!

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What are the circumstances? I think it's ridiculous but their reasoning probably is that if one spouse stays home for several years (let's say 10) to mind the children, it becomes increasingly difficult to enter the workforce. For example, if a couple got married at 20 and got divorced at 30, and the wife stayed home to mind the kids, that's 10 critical years where the woman has absolutely no job experience and/or credentials. Pretty tough to find a job, whereas the husband was busy climbing the corporate ladder.

I still think this is ridiculous though. If I were in the position of the wife in my example, I'd suck up my pride, go back to school or get re-trained, and go earn some money at a part-time job. If that got too difficult, I'd go on welfare while being re-trained. The ultimate goal would be to be self sufficient and to repay society for the time I spent living off of them.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< What are the circumstances? I think it's ridiculous but their reasoning probably is that if one spouse stays home for several years (let's say 10) to mind the children, it becomes increasingly difficult to enter the workforce. For example, if a couple got married at 20 and got divorced at 30, and the wife stayed home to mind the kids, that's 10 critical years where the woman has absolutely no job experience and/or credentials. Pretty tough to find a job, whereas the husband was busy climbing the corporate ladder.

I still think this is ridiculous though. If I were in the position of the wife in my example, I'd suck up my pride, go back to school or get re-trained, and go earn some money at a part-time job. If that got too difficult, I'd go on welfare while being re-trained. The ultimate goal would be to be self sufficient and to repay society for the time I spent living off of them.
>>

She graduated from some high $$$ art school and was looking to start her own biz (they had no kids I believe). They get divorced, she can't find a job, and becomes homeless. Now since she has hit rock bottom, she feels that the law entitles that her ex-husband give her money.

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000

<< He should just keep appealing until she's too broke to afford a lawyer >>

Or get a job that pays off the books.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< She graduated from some high $$$ art school and was looking to start her own biz (they had no kids I believe). They get divorced, she can't find a job, and becomes homeless. Now since she has hit rock bottom, she feels that the law entitles that her ex-husband give her money. >>

She'd make a great Rambus employee:) Can't start a business? No problem; other's already have and you just have to take theirs! If I were the husband I'd throw my money into an untraceable bank account in Monaco or the Caymen Islands and say &quot;catch me if you can, I'm the Gingerbread man&quot; laughing all the way to the bank...literally of course;)

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I'd appeal until I couldn't appeal anymore, then I'd move to Costa Rica.

Screw that &quot;keeping the lifestyle she's used to&quot; crap. What about the lifestyle she had before marriage?