WTF. Woman performs her own abortions, but is arrested for murder?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: jackace
Considering the baby died at 26 weeks and normal pregnancy is 40 weeks I think a lot of people are considering what she did a self-administered abortion.

Even if that were the case (the article says that the ME's think it was a stillbirth), 26 weeks is still on the cusp of 3rd trimester and NOT a legal abortion (edit: except in a case of medical emergency or special circumstance, like rape victim).
Plus... it doesn't explain the other bodies, now does it?
Are you implying that self-administered abortions should be exempt from the same regulations that apply to doctor-performed abortions?

What, exactly, is the difference? A dead fetus is a dead fetus.

She saved her miscarriages? Just think about the concept.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
The state medical examiner's preliminary report on the newborn boy determined it was in about the 26th week of pregnancy, and medical examiners "believe the child was stillborn," a release from police said.

Better title might be "Woman was inducing miscarriages." As horrible and tasteless as this is I don't see how it is tantamount to murder.

What it sounds like is a kind of witchhunt where someone didn't like what she did, so they are trying to find something serious to charge her with. A woman does have the right to terminate her pregnancy (maybe up to a certain point within that pregnancy, I do not know the relevant law there), so if that's what she did, then murder is NOT an appropriate charge.

Umm, I support abortion and all, but 26 weeks isnt exactly just an embryo anymore.

If she wants to perform her own abortions in the first 3 months then thats fine.

But after 4 and 5 months that is a developed fetus and that I have a problem with.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
OK, so I didn't really read the entire artical. It was a bit mis leading. But still, a mother aborts her kid that was born deformed and now every pro lifer out there wants to jump on her for aborting her kid. Sigh...

Bashing Christianity? Well, if they weren't out there manning abortion clinics 24/7 then maybe I'd feel differently, until they stop bashing society then I'll stop bashing them.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Considering the baby died at 26 weeks and normal pregnancy is 40 weeks I think a lot of people are considering what she did a self-administered abortion.

Even if that were the case (the article says that the ME's think it was a stillbirth), 26 weeks is still on the cusp of 3rd trimester and NOT a legal abortion (edit: except in a case of medical emergency or special circumstance, like rape victim).
Are you implying that self-administered abortions should be exempt from the same regulations that apply to doctor-performed abortions?

The child was stillborn because the mother killed it

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Wow, so it begins. She probably couldn't get through the gates at the abortion clinic. Too many moron christains blocking her way ... So, she goes on ebay and buys a DIY abortion kit! So what, this charge won't stand ... Why because abortions are legal. I think that these religious wanna bee's are 100% the cause of this!!!

Absolutely! 100% of the cause.... If they would just allow more clinics to open up and stop threats and the the BS claims.... Also, this may come to a surprise of a lot of pro lifers but I would think that there are more people preforming DIY abortions just some people are stupid enough and are getting caught trying to dispose of the fetus.

Ok all your sick pro life freaks.... say it with me... real slowly... ABORTIONS are LEGAL in all 50 states. Get over it. It's the law... Stop screwing it up for the rest that want one.

This just goes to show if prolifers had it their way and made abortions illegal just think how many DIY abortions would be going on? AND..... You can be reading these stories every day!!! Sounds like fun eh?

Now I know that people will think I approve of this. I don't.... I think we should make it easier for women to get abortions we should open up more clinics we should be putting grants for girls to get an abortion free of charge with out any pressure of religious groups or waiting games or taking pictures of the baby ... BS mind games...Etc...etc...

as usual you haven`t read the article...lol....
The child was stillborn because the mother killed it.....dosn`t sound like an abortion to me....hmmm

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I was disgusted to read this at first but I find people's silly equivocations about abortion rather myopic, like they take such great offense at a presumably viable fetus being aborted but they're 100% totally a-ok with it being sucked through a tube if it was just a few months earlier, like that makes any @*#(ing difference at all.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The doctors have to get their cut. You can't have people messing about with professionals' potential income.

This is the correct answer.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Wow, so it begins. She probably couldn't get through the gates at the abortion clinic. Too many moron christains blocking her way ... So, she goes on ebay and buys a DIY abortion kit! So what, this charge won't stand ... Why because abortions are legal. I think that these religious wanna bee's are 100% the cause of this!!!

Absolutely! 100% of the cause.... If they would just allow more clinics to open up and stop threats and the the BS claims.... Also, this may come to a surprise of a lot of pro lifers but I would think that there are more people preforming DIY abortions just some people are stupid enough and are getting caught trying to dispose of the fetus.

Ok all your sick pro life freaks.... say it with me... real slowly... ABORTIONS are LEGAL in all 50 states. Get over it. It's the law... Stop screwing it up for the rest that want one.

This just goes to show if prolifers had it their way and made abortions illegal just think how many DIY abortions would be going on? AND..... You can be reading these stories every day!!! Sounds like fun eh?

Now I know that people will think I approve of this. I don't.... I think we should make it easier for women to get abortions we should open up more clinics we should be putting grants for girls to get an abortion free of charge with out any pressure of religious groups or waiting games or taking pictures of the baby ... BS mind games...Etc...etc...

WTF are you going on about? Are you capable of making a post that does not involve bashing Christianity? "sick pro life freaks"? I can't believe I even responded to this post....

Edit - I'm just curious, are you as young as you sound?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
Originally posted by: GuideBot

What, exactly, is the difference? A dead fetus is a dead fetus.

She saved her miscarriages? Just think about the concept.

No worse than people that keep a relative's ashes on the mantle to me. I wouldn't want either around.