WTF, what happened with this ebay? :fixed link:

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
I'm bidding on this camera and when I entered a bid, it tells me it's ended with a buy it now. But there's no buy it now.

And look at the winner, nicelittleparis, all of his rating came from the seller of this camera, poco0. Looks fishy to me. WTH happened?

edit: fixed link

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
any ebay experts to shed some light on this situation? There was no buy it now when I tried to bid.

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
It's possible that your browser just didn't show it.

Once, I saw Shenmue 1&2 for Dreamcast up for bid on Ebay. I snapped that up so quick.... even though it had some bids for it, I emailed the seller and said, "I'll give you $30 for both". He ended the auction and sold them to me.

Maybe that's what happened to your camera.

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
By the way, I meant to say.......

I know a great deal about the Rebel series. I have used many of them extensively, in all situations - from football games to feature stories to still lifes.

The Rebel 2000 is the best. Many focus areas, many nice options, and it's fast, too!

Rebel X-S is close behind. Even though it's only got 1 focus area, it's pretty damn fast, and does exactly what you want it to. It focuses right where you want it to. It's got a built-in flash. And it's cheap, too!

I hate the Rebel G. It's 3 focus areas confuse the camera - it never focuses where you want it to. REALLY bad when you're trying to get that action shot at the perfect moment and the camera can't decide where to focus.

The normal Rebel X isn't too bad. It's main fault is that it doesn't have a built-in flash. That's why I recommend the Rebel XS over it.

Overall, the Rebel XS is the best for the money, and the Rebel 2000 is nice if you can afford it.

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
It does look kinda fishy.

My only theory in my current sleep deprived sate is that poco0 created nicelittleparis to win auctions that poco0 decided he/she/it didn't want to sell. I'm not sure if you can add "Buy It Now" after the auction has started, but if it is possible, then poco0 may have added it so that nicelittleparis could get it.

It is very odd that nicelittleparis has 6 feedbacks from poco0 and that poco0 has zero feedbacks from nicelittleparis. (unless I missed them... did I mention that I'm tired?)

So, in closing, yes it looks suspicious, but I have no idea what you should do about it.

Wait.... I have a second theory, but it involves money laundering, which wouldn't change the (supposed) fact that something fishy is going on.

So...um... G'Night

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
not sure what you are talking about, buyitnow is not mentioned anywhere. Additionally, the times match up perfectly for starting ending:

Sep-06-02 21:50:57 PDT

Ends Sep-13-02 21:50:57 PDT

it ended just like a regular auction; exactly 7 days after it started. no buy it now.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Just like Lucky said, there is no mentioning of buy it now. I have bid on auctions with buy it now before and it was pretty obvious in description, it would say something like "this auction was ended with buy it now" better luck next time for you.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: FSUpaintball
By the way, I meant to say.......

I know a great deal about the Rebel series. I have used many of them extensively, in all situations - from football games to feature stories to still lifes.

The Rebel 2000 is the best. Many focus areas, many nice options, and it's fast, too!

Rebel X-S is close behind. Even though it's only got 1 focus area, it's pretty damn fast, and does exactly what you want it to. It focuses right where you want it to. It's got a built-in flash. And it's cheap, too!

I hate the Rebel G. It's 3 focus areas confuse the camera - it never focuses where you want it to. REALLY bad when you're trying to get that action shot at the perfect moment and the camera can't decide where to focus.

The normal Rebel X isn't too bad. It's main fault is that it doesn't have a built-in flash. That's why I recommend the Rebel XS over it.

Overall, the Rebel XS is the best for the money, and the Rebel 2000 is nice if you can afford it.

you have used them extensively? Dont know what you are talking about, the rebel x has the exact same 3 point focusing system as the rebel G does. You are really confused because the rebel G allows you to manually set the focus points whereas the rebel X does not. (you can lock the middle one only). and the worst part is that it doesnt tell you where it's focusing-the rebel G does. You sure you them extensively? I used to sell these things for a living.

rebel x sucks compared to the rebel G.

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
Yeah, I was the high school newspaper photo editor, and we used a bunch of these things.

I swear to god, they didn't come out with the 3-point focusing system until the Rebel G!

This is the order they came out in:

Rebel X
Rebel XS
Rebel G
Rebel 2000

The G was the first one to have the 3 boxes that are different focus zones. The X just has the box in the middle with brackets on the side, if I'm not mistaken. However, when you point that box where you want to focus, it'll bring it into focus QUICKLY, unlike the rebel G.

I know you can set the G's focus manually, but when you're photographing a fast-moving football game, you don't have time to do it manually. And when it was in auto-focus, the camera acted slow and confused. The XS was much faster.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
x had the same three point focusing system as G. :) Promise. ;) (when I say system, I mean both had 3 AF points)...only with the G could you see which one was selected or manually select any of the three.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It didn't end w/buy it now, it ended regularly. Once a bid is placed, the Buy It Now options disappears. This auction had 6 bids.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperSix
It didn't end w/buy it now, it ended regularly. Once a bid is placed, the Buy It Now options disappears. This auction had 6 bids.

No it doesen't. Maybe if the auction price is above the buy it now price, but ....

Just the first one I found..

Anyway, like some others have said, I don't see anything fishy.