WTF? US Cellular just called and told me I owe them $47.50

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
because I still hadn't paid my April bill? Thing is I haven't had US Cellular since December of 2000. When I told the woman that she said "no, you still have our service and your payments have all been up to date except for April of this year." I told her I did not have US Cellular and have been with AT&T Wireless since Dec 00 but she insists I have an acount with them. I start asking her questions about this account and it has my SSN on it and was opened in May of 02, but an address I have never lived at. I asked her to send me a copy of all the bills, and a copy of the service agreement. Time to do some investigation and find out where the hell this address is that the account was opened under. It's in this area, but is in another suburb of Tulsa about 25 miles from where I live.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Get copies of your credit reports and put fraud alerts on them. Sounds like you've been hit by identity theft. :(

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
Get copies of your credit reports and put fraud alerts on them. Sounds like you've been hit by identity theft. :(

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001

Listen to this man!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
sorry about that, next time I will make the payment on time.

seriously though, check this out...and you might want to run a credit report on yourself just to make sure that no strange credit cards are floating around. I found out I had a discover card with a $3000 limit one time that I had never seen.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Sounds like it....I have a suspicion who might have done it to. If that turns out the be the case an ass beating is in line.....Funny thing is that just last week I had a credit report run because I bought a motorcycle....I'm perfectly clean.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Welcome to the wonderful world of identity theft.
Not the first time it's happened. Had a roommate do the same thing to me when I was in college.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Oh man....talk about deja vu. I had almost the exact same situation happen to me with Cingular Wireless. :|

/hops in Wayback Machine to about a year ago

This lady calls me up and tells me we owe almost $500 on our cell phone through Cingular, and that she's with a collection agency. At this point, I'm going WTF? It's at least 6 months since we canceled our service. So, after much BS back and forth on the phone, we get the address of the collection agency and send them a certified letter stating that they're full of crap and that we're disputing these charges.

A couple weeks later, some asshole from the collection agency calls me up and gives me a load of attitude when I tell him that these charges are not our fault. I eventually end up telling him to fvck off and slam the phone down after he finally tells me that they'll file this one as under dispute.

/fast forward to present time

THEN, about two weeks ago, my wife gets another call from these morons at Cingular about this bill. She told them in no uncertain terms about the situation and we haven't heard a word from them. Hasn't affected our credit or anything, fortunately.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: pyonir
My cell phone account does not show up on my credit reports.
It would if you hadn't been paying it...

That would be a collections company then, correct?

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
My cell phone account does not show up on my credit reports.
It would if you hadn't been paying it...

That would be a collections company then, correct?

Yes. If you feel the company screwed up (see my post above), you can dispute it with the collections agency and it won't be a black mark on your credit report.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Sounds like it....I have a suspicion who might have done it to. If that turns out the be the case an ass beating is in line.....Funny thing is that just last week I had a credit report run because I bought a motorcycle....I'm perfectly clean.

Ass beating, hell! It's time for a jail term!

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

Gahhh....I also had someone get a credit card in my name and run up charges on it. I had a suspicion of who it was, but I didn't have any proof. If I could have proved it, I would have beaten their ass before calling the cops. Fortunately, I was able to file with the credit card company's fraud division and cover my ass.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DeathByAnts
So, why dob't the credit companies just mail you a copy of your report every 6 months?

because people wouldn't pay for them.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would have beaten their ass before calling the cops
For me making out a police report on a attempted identity theft did not do any good. The credit reporting co called and asked about a application because the birthday was wrong. They told me to make out a report to the police about the incident and give them a phone number to call and they would give the police the address of where the card was to be mailed, well guess what the police never called and nothing was ever done toward investigating the attempted theft.

Bleep

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Doubtful that would happen....they guy that ran up all the debt(over 20k) under my name in college got off without a damn thing happening to him. Credit card companies didn't want to go the expense of prosecuting him and the police in the college town I lived in didn't give a sh1t about my problem.