• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

WTF Steam

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Awhile back, valve relented on a longstanding annoyance and updated steam to allow you to log in on two computers at the same time. Cool. I am fairly sure I could also run steam games from two computers at the same time, as long as I didn't try to run the same game twice.

Can't do that anymore. What is truly ridiculous, is even if I am just running a free2play game on one PC, I can't run anything else from steam on any other PC at the same time.

This is why I will always buy games on gog.com over steam, given the choice.

Is there a restriction against owning multiple steam accounts? I'm tempted to just create a new account for each purchase I make in the future, so I won't be bothered by such idiotic restrictions in the future.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Awhile back, valve relented on a longstanding annoyance and updated steam to allow you to log in on two computers at the same time. Cool. I am fairly sure I could also run steam games from two computers at the same time, as long as I didn't try to run the same game twice.

Can't do that anymore. What is truly ridiculous, is even if I am just running a free2play game on one PC, I can't run anything else from steam on any other PC at the same time.

This is why I will always buy games on gog.com over steam, given the choice.

Is there a restriction against owning multiple steam accounts? I'm tempted to just create a new account for each purchase I make in the future, so I won't be bothered by such idiotic restrictions in the future.
People do that (create separate accounts for separate games) but I don't think you can have more than one account per email. I could be wrong though

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I am fairly sure I could also run steam games from two computers at the same time, as long as I didn't try to run the same game twice.
I don't think this was ever allowed. If so, what would stop people from just sharing their library like it's HBO GO?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I'm pretty sure you *can't* ever do that (online from multiple computers). What people have done is the 'offline game' trick. Install steam on their second computer, login, install the games, run them once while online, and while you're connected, set steam to offline mode. After that, disconnect (and login from the first computer). You should then be able to play the games on the second computer even though you're connected to steam on the first computer. This isn't considered logging in twice, because the second computer is offline (i.e. steam doesn't know that you're playing).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GodisanAtheist PC Games 108
A PC Games 2
Fanatical Meat PC Games 17
aigomorla PC Games 9
G PC Games 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY