WTF?!? someone explain this car to me

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I am still trying to understand why there is a Honda Element and Pontiac Aztek.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Frosty3799
as far as wheels go... prob. got a flat, tis all

Yup, that looks like a spare, not an OEM wheel.

Regardless, whoever did that (the rest of it) should be shot.

Viper GTS

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Gotta love the camber settings on that car. Those tires must last all of about 3,000 miles.

What I want to know is why those cars so often have bald tires. I mean, if you have the money to waste on expensive and tasteless body trim, why can't you afford to replace the tires before they have worn to a point where I can see myself in them?

ZV

djNickb

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Gotta love the camber settings on that car. Those tires must last all of about 3,000 miles.

What I want to know is why those cars so often have bald tires. I mean, if you have the money to waste on expensive and tasteless body trim, why can't you afford to replace the tires before they have worn to a point where I can see myself in them?

ZV

Cuz with bald tires its easier to break the backend loose for some intense drifting action in your riced out mid 80's wagon.
:D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS
To each their own. Personally I don't think it qualifies as a capital offense worthy of execution. I'd condone nothing more than a savage beating :evil:

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS
To each their own. Personally I don't think it qualifies as a capital offense worthy of execution. I'd condone nothing more than a savage beating :evil:

This is a newer trend that i notice with ricers. They put fancy wheels on the back of the car and steel hubbies on the front. If you check the other side of the car I bet it has a steel hubcap on it too. I think they do it because it makes it look like a "race car" - like it's setup for the strip and has slicks or something up front. Anyone else notice this new trend with ricers?

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Doug: The guys that actually race use smaller diameter rims with higher profile tires because it lowers the effective gear ratio and increases the contact patch, while having skinny tires in the rear with very light weight rims reduces rolling resistance. It's not common to see any drag racers with 20" rims, in any class of drag racing. 15" rims for slicks are the norm for dedicated drag racers. (though many front drivers use 13" rims)

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Doug: The guys that actually race use smaller diameter rims with higher profile tires because it lowers the effective gear ratio and increases the contact patch, while having skinny tires in the rear with very light weight rims reduces rolling resistance. It's not common to see any drag racers with 20" rims, in any class of drag racing. 15" rims for slicks are the norm for dedicated drag racers. (though many front drivers use 13" rims)

Yes, I know all of that. My question is why are ricers putting steelies on the front of their car and fancy wheels on back, all with regular rubber on them, just to cruise around town? My thought is that they think it makes them look like a drag racer......or maybe they just bent their fancy 20" rims on potholes :D

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas
I am still trying to understand why there is a Honda Element and Pontiac Aztek.

I'm still trying to figure out why there are people who use little bobcat avatars. I think they are so ugly.

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
thats almost as bad as a new BMW 3-series painted GOLD, with GOLD wheels, GOLD tints, GOLD emblems, and a GOLD Supra style spoiler!!!! and lowered to the floor!!!!!!

it made me so sad and yet it was so fun to laugh at the guy

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth

Taller tires will raise the effective gear ratio, rim size has nothing to do with how tall the tire is. You can get 40" tall tires for an 18" rim, you can also get 20" tall tires for an 18" rim.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Sluggo:
Drag racing like tall, soft, squishy, flexible sidewalls. To get the 22-24" tall slick that a typical import racer runs onto a 20" rim you'd have a 1" sidewall. Or basically a rim painted with rubber. To get the desired 5" tall sidewall they use a smaller rim. The reason for the desire for the tall sidewall, is that as the tire compresses down, it's contact patch increases in length. Which is a very good thing. non-import drag racers typically run 15" rims because of the need to get the brakes and axles to fit. And they're more likely to run 29-33" tall slicks, so it's not a problem. They just gear down. The taller the tire, the larger the contact patch, though the larger the tire, the more power you need to turn it. It's a balencing act.

Jul 12, 2001
maybe the pics dont show it well, but i was mainly asking because the frame of the car is about 2 cm off the ground...and its not becuase of 1 tire, as its like that all the way around

<----uses the tiger, because am a bengals fan