wtf?? San Diego airport bar for Gates 11-18...~35 yr old Canadian lady gets carded..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: maddogchen
my friend went to Dave & Busters and they didn't take his US passport as valid ID

They don't consider a military ID as a valid form of ID either. :thumbsdown:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
These laws have gotten absolutely absurd. It's fucking alcohol. It's a legal form of ID. A passport should be no problem whatsoever. But yeah, a lot of places around here (Dave and Buster's in Particular) won't even accept out-of state driver's licenses. Only in-state DL's are valid forms of ID. SO they won't sell alcohol to tourists? It's a joke. WTF is wrong with our society? OH NOES! Not teh alchol!

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
yeah, i've had trouble buying a drink with my passport because they said it didnt have a physical description of me on it...

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AUMM
yeah, i've had trouble buying a drink with my passport because they said it didnt have a physical description of me on it...

Good God. I can't believe they do this. Getting a passport is much harder than getting a license or a state ID. Look at how they issue state IDs away to illegals. WTF mang? When you get a job, a license is not good enough. You need to bring in secondary proof and that's birth cert or passport.

I think people are just anal about the passport when it should trump the driver's license anyday.

I don't get how people have a passport on them but not a license/state ID. I can understand if you're not from the US but I keep my passport locked up at home. Why the hell would it be on my car unless I plan on driving to Canada or Mexico?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: Hammerhead
I saw SD Gates and though you were talking about Antonio Gates from the San Diego Chargers.

Ditto

Woah buddy, way too much football on the mind.

Okay, I thought the same thing too.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
Originally posted by: Homerboy
He has the right to refuse service to anyone he wants. Good for the bartender. I wouldn't server a Canadian either :)

Ah, but would you admin a server in Canada?

OH NOES!!! THE TYPO!

QUICK FIX IT BEFORE TEH ATOT CRASHES!!!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury
Originally posted by: Citrix
For the record, most DMV's won't accept passports as ID.

err i dont think you are right on that. i know you said most but i still doubt it.

colorado accepts a US passport as ID

http://www.revenue.state.co.us...00_ID_Requirements.pdf

The Ohio DMV would not let me renew my license with one... my options were SS card, Birth Certificate or previous state-issued license (neither of which are a photo ID!). Was told by some people from out of town "Duh." :confused:

Ok, i believe you but its fricken stupid.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

A passport is a primary form of ID everywhere I've been, including the DMV. I admit that I haven't tried every DMV, but where do you get your info?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

err i dont think you are right on that. i know you said most but i still doubt it.

The Ohio DMV would not let me renew my license with one... my options were SS card, Birth Certificate or previous state-issued license (neither of which are a photo ID!). Was told by some people from out of town "Duh." :confused:

I agree it is stupid as well. Here in Fort Collins I was sent home from the DMV to get my SS card or birth certificate in addition to my license. They wouldn't accept my passport regardless if it is valid or not. It royally pissed me off since I called ahead of time and specifically asked if my passport was valid and they said yes. I show up, get my ticket, wait in line for 2.5 hours, and was then refused service and had to come back another day to get my CO license because I only had my TN license and passport. Damn it.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
My friend (not American) was denied entry in a bar because he only had his passport and International license. They asked for a US license... Dumbasses..

I think this rule just encourages fake IDs. How is a tourist supposed to get a US license?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I didn't believe him, so I checked. Ohio's Laws and Rules: 4501:1-1-21 Acceptable identification to be submitted along with an application for a driver's license, commercial driver's license, and identification card.
The following are acceptable primary documents: driver?s license from any state, with photograph, current or expired not more than six months; birth certificate, either an original or certified copy, with a seal and issued by an appropriate governmental agency; state issued identification card from any state, with photograph, current or expired not more than six months; United States citizen and immigration services (USCIS) documents which are original and valid, or like documents issued by the successor agency to the USCIS; a certified copy of a court order containing the full name and date of birth; a military identification with photograph; a valid passport, either United States or Canadian, with photograph, or if from another country, a passport accompanied by appropriate USCIS documents; state issued learner?s permit from any state, with photograph, current or expired not more than six months.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I was with a friend from Puerto Rico who wasn't allowed into a bar, and she had her PR drivers license. And then last year I went to a bar with about 10 Japanese exchange students who were all let in with their Passports.

I love my country... but it can be pretty fucking stupid sometimes.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I can understand the problem with ID in bars though - your average bouncer is, well, (apologies to anyone who's a bouncer) not the brightest person around. Way back when I was underaged, I used to give my real ID to a bouncer at the bar in the college town I attended. He put it up to the black light, held it up to another really bright light, looked to see if it was chalked, made sure the photo matched me several times, then finally let me in. He never figured out that by the date on the license, I was underaged.

I can't imagine how confused he would have gotten had I handed him a passport, which he possibly may have never seen before in his life. (Back in the 80's, legal drinking age was 18, then 19, before finally turning 21. Putting "under 21" on driver's licenses hadn't been thought of yet.)

Oh, and I can understand a bouncer/bartender not being able to figure it out, but it seems that the people at the DMV should be more on the ball. (Or BMV for the fancy Ohioans who prefer "bureau" over "department")

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Apologies for my incoherent post.

I did become a tad bit tipsy after a couple beers. I also was in a mad rush to type, chug down the remaining beer, no sleep, and pack up my laptop so I wouldn't be late for my flight. Didn't matter anyways, the delayed flight made me miss my connection. I hate United airlines...

heh..my OP still isn't ordered well, but at least it's a lot better now, haha. I noticed that I omitted a lot of words that I wanted to add in when I generated the sentences, but I suppose I forgot to type them down. I do that a lot; I'd type down a sentence, and forget to type in words. During that process, I'd remember typing in that word when in actually I didn't. Bleh, silly brain, playing tricks on me.

yep..stuck in good ole San Fransisco (about to hit the BART and hit up a bar or two...). United Airlines lost my baggage, and the flight was delayed a combined 3 hours, making me lose my connection to Japan. Great... heh.

I suppose it makes it a lot easier on the employees since they have a set criteria to check the IDs, however I couldn't agree with the bartender, especially since the lady looked nowhere near her 20's. Well, in fact, he was carding people during that whole time I was there. At first, I thought it was just a joke he was playing on people until that lady came in to grab a beer.

Oh, and Carl Strauss' Red Trolley is really good. You guys should try it.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
Oh, and karl* Strauss' Red Trolley is really good. You guys should try it.
fixed, on these forums if you're going to be bragging about my all-time favorite beer make sure you at least get the spelling right ;)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Kahleeforneeya's Alcohol Control Board runs lots of stings on sellers of liquor, so I don't blame them for carding everyone. Here's what the state law (ABC) says about ID:

25660. (a) Bona fide evidence of majority and identity of the
person is a document issued by a federal, state, county, or municipal
government, or subdivision or agency thereof, including, but not
limited to, a motor vehicle operator's license or an identification
card issued to a member of the Armed Forces, that contains the name,
date of birth, description, and picture of the person."

You'd certainly think that a passport would be sufficient identification, but, perhaps it's the company policy not to serve without a valid driver's license or other US issued ID...(seems rather odd in an airport though...)

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I was at the Sacramento airport and one of the restuarants was carding everybody regardless of how old or young they looked. Seems the "no tolerance" mindset has crept into carding people. It does strike me as absurd not to accept a passport as a valid proof of age. Heck I don't even know if that is legal, it obviously discrimates against foreigners. In the European Union a passport is probably the most common form of ID used.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: DrPizza

I didn't believe him, so I checked. Ohio's Laws and Rules: 4501:1-1-21 Acceptable identification to be submitted along with an application for a driver's license, commercial driver's license, and identification card.
The following are acceptable primary documents: driver?s license from any state, with photograph, current or expired not more than six months; birth certificate, either an original or certified copy, with a seal and issued by an appropriate governmental agency; state issued identification card from any state, with photograph, current or expired not more than six months; United States citizen and immigration services (USCIS) documents which are original and valid, or like documents issued by the successor agency to the USCIS; a certified copy of a court order containing the full name and date of birth; a military identification with photograph; a valid passport, either United States or Canadian, with photograph, or if from another country, a passport accompanied by appropriate USCIS documents; state issued learner?s permit from any state, with photograph, current or expired not more than six months.

I kid you not, I went their to replace & renew my license with my passport and I was told that I could not use that, and was subsequently told my friends in neighboring states that passports are apparently useless when you are inside the country. I used what I experienced. The written law might be different, but hell hath no fury like an angered DMV/BMV agent. Judging from this thread, there are load of people in the country that have apparently never seen a passport and will reject it out of ignorance.