WTF?!?!?! Rambus now targets AMD and Transmeta!!

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Two thumbs down on rambus. First they push technology that's not ready, and then they lay claim to SDRAM, which has been around since 1997 or so.

If they really owned the rights to SDRAM why didn't they make their move before?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The SDRAM patent was only granted late last year - Rambus wouldn't have had any grounds for action before that time.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hell, AMD isn't even using Rambus yet (they do have a license though) and they are doing crazy sh!t. I can bet now that AMD won't be implementing Rambus anytime soon ;)

FaultCode

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just finaly got the patent to all words that begin with the letter 'R'. The way I see it Rambus owes me a royalty every time their name is printed.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is the last straw.... or ANOTHER last straw.

Now they have sued every single one of the biggest hardware comps except Intel. I just wish I could walk into their offices and tell their CEO what a fuuckkkinngg PRICK he is.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Ok, Im no expert in this RAMBUS mess because I never cared. Can anybody tell me why is RAMBUS sueing everyone? Are they claiming that they own the SDRAM and DDR RAM patents? Or are they sueing them because these big companies signed the contract and not implementing their technology?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Can anybody tell me why is RAMBUS sueing everyone? >>

Because they are a bunch of pansy ass mofos ;)

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
NFS4: Ok I know they are a bunch of assholes, but why? They've got to have some reason other than just &quot;we are assholes&quot;.

Soccerman

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think we don't have the full story... either that or they really are every bit as stupid as we've been led to believe..

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The reason given is that these companies [AMD and Transmeta] are producing devices that connect to SDRAM or DDR SDRAM, and that they have not agreed a licence [with Rambus] to do so.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If Rambus wasn't taking it up so far up the ass from SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, Rambus would be as quiet as Monica Lewinsky with a mouthful...

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Mark R: Hm... so where in the Constitution that requires every company to implement RDRAM?

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
REUTERS (Sunnyvale, CA) - In a stunning admission, Rambus, the intellectual property company recently revealed that the number of its lawyers recently outnumbered the number of its actual employees by a ratio of 10 to 1. Investors rallied behind Rambus' stock sending it skyrocketing on word of this revellation. Speaking on grounds of anonymity, we tele-conferenced with a well known street analyst who stated &quot;This is the best news we've heard since Rambus' inception. We expect revenue to surge 5,000 per cent over the course of the next couple of years. The more lawyers they seem to hire, the more revenue they get. In fact, I can't remember a non-lawyer employee of Rambus ever making the company money...&quot;. When asked about Rambus' upcoming technologies and how they would affect Rambus' stock prices, the street analyst said &quot;What technologies? Oh. Umm, I do believe that Rambus intends to announce its new patented memory technologies after the JEDEC conference. Traditionally, Rambus has always announced new technology right after the JEDEC conference; it's unbelievable how they're able to stay ahead of all those other memory companies. It's mind boggling!&quot; The source adammantly denied rumours that Rambus' technologies were the very same technologies developed by leading memory manufacturers at previous JEDEC conferences stating, &quot;That is absurd!&quot;. Our interview was cut-off shortly thereafter, due to a lockup of the street analyst's Dell workstation equipped with Rambus. Calling over the phone, the analyst attributed the lockup to the CPU not being able to keep up wtih Rambus tremendous 800MHz performance.

-GL

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
From now on, I won't read any topic concerning RAMBUS, because I need to keep my blood pressure down.

:|:|:|

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Yucky, me too. :| They get me so angry that I didn't wanna kill myself by continuing the anti-Rambus brigade. :eek:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
what happened was back when the ram and processor companies were making the sdram standard they agreed to keep the standard open, to not patent any of the stuff. rambus happened to be on that standard body, and they happened to stab everyone in the back and patent one of their contributions. they probably didn't really care about it until ddr decidedly kicks their crappy tech's ass, hence why the patent wasn't filed until last year, and no lawsuits earlier.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I believe there are two main questions to be settled by the lawsuits.
1) Are Rambus patents covered by &quot;prior art&quot; in the industry.

2) Did Rambus include in it's amended patent applications knowledge that it learned by attending the Jedec conferences.

Frankly I think Rambus will only be around a few more years. Every memory manufacturer will be working to come out with a clean design if necessary. Rambus has no manufacturing capability. They have become the pariah of the memory industry. Litigation will not overcome innovation.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< What is wrong with Rambus? >>

The question should be, what isn't wrong with Rambus? ;)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
&quot;Now they have sued every single one of the biggest hardware comps except Intel.&quot;

They haven't gotten to IBM, Motorola, or TI yet. I think those 3 need to get together and sue the sh!t out of them for something. I also think Creative and Intel need to sue them for stealing their policy of &quot;If you can't beat them, sue them.&quot;

I hope all the executives at that company die a slow painful death. Although I also hope RAMBUS dies a very quick death.

RagingGuardian

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2000

<< I can't wait to see when RAMBUS will sue INTEL. I see it coming. >>

Expect this as soon as a DDR equiped P4 system spanks a Rambus P4 system. I wouldn't be surprised if they start suing video card companies. That's probably next on their agenda.:)