WTF of the day: Nebraska tax on MARIJUANA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i have posted before the IRS regulations about reporting illegal income, from burglary, bribes etc

this is the same, it is a way to stack charges on the criminals

It's a bunch of bullshit. Is weed really that much of a problem in Nebraska? It's like gun control laws, they make it illegal for felons to own guns but then when they commit a crime with a gun they generally don't prosecute for that...at least not nearly to the extent of the law. It all gets reduced as part of some plea bargain.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
i question the constitutionality (didn't expect to use that word today) of this tax. how can local, state or federal gov't tax something that's not legal?

dude, you're going to make me dig up the IRS thing, you have to report income from ALL sources to the IRS, including illegal sources like drug dealing. your logic in the above statement numbs my mind

what's wrong with my logic?

You think it's unconstitutional, so show us where the constitution prohibits taxing something that is illegal.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: loup garou
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Is weed really that much of a problem in Nebraska?
Unrelated, but ditch weed & hemp grows actually wild all over Nebraska.

That's what they say. I've seen very little of it in the past ten years. One patch outside our newly constructed building a few years back. Somebody told the boss though, and he had it sprayed.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: loup garou
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Is weed really that much of a problem in Nebraska?
Unrelated, but ditch weed & hemp grows actually wild all over Nebraska.

That's what they say. I've seen very little of it in the past ten years. One patch outside our newly constructed building a few years back. Somebody told the boss though, and he had it sprayed.
My friend's grandparents have a ranch (not sure exactly where in the state) and she says it's growing all along the roads leading to it.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: wkabel23
Originally posted by: eits
haha when i read the title, i had a mental picture of a drug dealer selling weed to someone and then saying, "aight, dawg... dat be $20 fo' dat dimebag right dere.. wit tax, dat come to a total uh 21 dollas an' 20 cent."

JW, have you bought drugs from anyone that actually sounded like that?

i've actually never done drugs, so no... i just went with the stereotypical skinny white kid with a wife beater and pubes facial hair drug dealer.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
i question the constitutionality (didn't expect to use that word today) of this tax. how can local, state or federal gov't tax something that's not legal?

dude, you're going to make me dig up the IRS thing, you have to report income from ALL sources to the IRS, including illegal sources like drug dealing. your logic in the above statement numbs my mind

what's wrong with my logic?

Well, for one thing the federal government does it. HERE'S a link.

For another, what possible motive could the country or Constitution have in mandating that income from from illegal sources be tax free? Wouldn't that just encourage people to break the law to gain a (lawful) tax benefit? Laws just don't work that way (for what should seem an obvious reason).

The way the income statutes/laws work is that everything you get is considered taxable income unless specifically exempted (such as gifts or inherentence etc). There is no exemption for income from illegal activities. It has been this way since 1913 and never been found unconstitutional yet.

Fern