WTF kind of spider is this?!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jikininki

Mar 21, 2006
OHHHHH...big mistake. I didn't think it'd be that bad but I definitely should not have clicked on those pictures. EEEKS....scary. now i'm gonna be all paranoid about bugs all over the place. If i ever saw one of those things outside my house (or anywhere)..i'd scream bloody murder. EEEEEEKS!!!!

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Look at the bitches :roll:

Just leave the spider alone - it helps you more than you know it.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Ryan
Look at the bitches :roll:

Just leave the spider alone - it helps you more than you know it.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about killing it. I must have missed it...

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: jndietz
Originally posted by: Vich
Originally posted by: jread
Went outside the other night and this was on our window.... gave me cold chills just looking at it. I don't know what in the hell it is, but it was pretty damn big and I was afraid to get anywhere near it:

http://www.celura.net/spider1.jpg

http://www.celura.net/spider2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is? It makes me pretty uneasy to know these things are crawling around the outside of my house :(

holy fvck looks like a tarantula. Where do you live??

I hate spiders

He is in Austin Texas.

I'm glad I live in somewhat cooler climes in Chicago.

Vich

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: sm8000
Originally posted by: jndietz
Went outside the other night and this was on our window.... gave me cold chills just looking at it. I don't know what in the hell it is, but it was pretty damn big and I was afraid to get anywhere near it:

http://www.celura.net/spider1.jpg

http://www.celura.net/spider2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is? It makes me pretty uneasy to know these things are crawling around the outside of my house :(

I hate spiders

He is in Austin Texas.

Any tarantulas in texas? :p

ValkyrieofHouston

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2005
It is a common tree spider, also known as a wolf spider. Lives in woods, meadows, leaves, foliage, ect. Eats all kinds of insects... they can grow pretty big. There are 2 different types.. not sure which one this is..

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: supafly
Looks like a member of the Syringer species.

lol, when I saw the thread title Syringer was the first thing I thought of. We need him in this thread for some expert SPIDER advice.

jread

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Compton

lol, when I saw the thread title Syringer was the first thing I thought of. We need him in this thread for some expert SPIDER advice.

I sent him a PM... hopefully he responds :)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I usually leave those guys alone or work around em. Largely benefical. But a brown recluse can be as hazardous as a rattle snake.

jonny13

Feb 16, 2002
Originally posted by: sm8000

Don't think its the climate that saves you. I saw a big Wolf Spider up in Lake Vermillion in northern Minnesota and that area certainly isn't warm. But, the environment is vastly different from Chicago....rocky lakes, forests, isolation.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Looks like a wolf spider to me as well. Used to have them all over my house in Tulsa, OK. They move very, very quickly from what I remember.

Leave it alone or just relocate it. They don't want to be in your house anymore than you want it to be.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: teddyv
looks like a big wolf spider.

Agreed. I used to catch the things and pick them up barehand. They're quite common here in rural eastern Pennsylvania.
They're solitary hunters that don't spin webs.
Oh yeah, they will bite, but only if you aggravate them, like say, by picking them up barehand. :p Kind of like a beesting.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

I hate spiders

That doesn't look a THING like a tarantula...plus it's tiny in comparison.

Zerhyn

Jun 18, 2004
Great now after reading this thread i won't be able to sleep. So to further my discomfert i did an image search for "brown recluse bite" . Great pictures....

*shivers* darn that move Arachnophobia!

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
I used to love spiders, but now I can't stand them. Glad I'm far away from there. I was going to say wolf spider, but I thought it was too fat. Apparently it is though....

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, a swatter or rolled up newspaper just won't do in this case. I recommend a shotgun, double barrel, just to be sure.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Compton

I sent him a PM... hopefully he responds :)

If he responds, let us know what he thinks about it.