WTF is with all of the BS "medicine" at Whole Foods.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Went to Whole Foods today and for the first time decided to look at the so called "medicine" isle. Almost nothing but bullshit remedies. The worst was this large section for so called homeopathic "medicine". I cannot believe a major chain is peddling this garbage.

No profanity in thread titles, subtitles or sigs

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Whole Foods Market is the world's largest retailer of natural and organic foods.

natural and organic foods

natural and organic

i'm confused.

which part of natural and organic did you not understand??

and i wouldn't call them a "major chain"..

yes, they are the largest natural and organic market... but they're a niche market

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Whole Foods Market is the world's largest retailer of natural and organic foods.

natural and organic foods

natural and organic

i'm confused.

which part of natural and organic did you not understand??

You can still make some real medicine from natural ingredients, no need to peddle voodoo.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
You can still make some real medicine from natural ingredients, no need to peddle voodoo.

Then you don't understand what Whole Foods is. Their entire premise is voodoo.

Whole Foods Market only sells products that meet its self-created quality standards for being "natural", which the store defines as: minimally processed foods that are free of hydrogenated fats as well as artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, preservatives, and many others as listed on their online "Unacceptable Food Ingredients" list.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
By the same token most of the items you find at your supermarket or pharmacy are bullshit, so what do you expect?

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
You wouldn't call a $10b company with 300+ stores a major chain?

maybe in New Zealand where there's only 1 or 2 supermarkets that's a major chain..

but here in the USA.. it's not

The Kroger Co. is a $76.7 Billion company with 3,619 stores. And they're not even national.
Safeway is a $40.9 Billion company with 1,501 stores in the United States and 224 stores in Canada.

Whole Foods is a minor, niche player.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I don't know...the best canker sore remedy out there is licorice root. I found some small licorice disks that stick to your gums at one place and they were amazingly good at getting rid of canker sores.

I've never been able to find them again, but what I learned from that little box of organic remedy sticks with me and whenever I have a canker sore, I chew a bag of black licorice and it's gone literally within hours.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
maybe in New Zealand where there's only 1 or 2 supermarkets that's a major chain..

but here in the USA.. it's not

The Kroger Co. is a $76.7 Billion company with 3,619 stores. And they're not even national.
Safeway is a $40.9 Billion company with 1,501 stores in the United States and 224 stores in Canada.

Whole Foods is a minor, niche player.

Just because it's not the biggest doesn't mean it's not a major chain. Even in the US, $10b, 300+ stores and a household name is a major chain. BTW, major chain and niche market aren't mutually exclusive.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
I'm sure WholeFoods knows it's nonsense, but people demand it. Why not supply it?

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Went to Whole Foods today and for the first time decided to look at the so called "medicine" isle. Almost nothing but bullshit remedies. The worst was this large section for so called homeopathic "medicine". I cannot believe a major chain is peddling this garbage.

People pay good money for it, why shouldn't they sell the stuff that people want to buy?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
you might want to edit your title, no cussing in thread titles.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm sure WholeFoods knows it's nonsense, but people demand it. Why not supply it?

Because it doesn't actually cure anything? It wastes money and actually causes damage because people assume this actually does something.

People demand cures. They get bullshit that is sold to them as cures and not the real cure. They assume the bullshit = real deal, but it's actually worthless. People do not buy this stuff going, "Oh this won't work." They buy it thinking, "This will work." But it never does ANYTHING but placebo effect. (Read: not a cure)

:colbert:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As opposed to the garbage the billion dollar pharmaceutical industry forces on you?
And bribed congress to be allowed to advertise?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Maybe it depends where you live, but in the North East I wouldn't call Whole Foods a niche market. They are a well recognized brand name in this region and a lot of people shop there.

I agree that a lot of the "medicines" they sell there are of questionable scientific backing, but whether you like what they sell or not they aren't some piddly little company.

As a side note, they are a top-notch grocery store in terms of selection and quality of products.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
As opposed to the garbage the billion dollar pharmaceutical industry forces on you?
And bribed congress to be allowed to advertise?

Um. I'm gonna say that although the pharmaceutical industry is not morally pure... it is far more effective than homeopathy.(>0)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Because mainstream western medicine, which is based on science and reason, is motivated by evil capitalists rather than by organic, local folk pharmacists. These herbal homeopathic remedies, based on years of practice by traditional medicine men, is much more inline with what Chairman Mao recommends.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Maybe it depends where you live, but in the North East I wouldn't call Whole Foods a niche market. They are a well recognized brand name in this region and a lot of people shop there.

Being a "recognized brand name" has nothing to do with being a niche market.

I've lived East Coast and West Coast.

Whole Foods sells ONLY organic and natural foods..

You cannot find most of the stuff you can get at Whole Foods at Waldbaums or Pathmark or Stop & Shop or Price Chopper.

that is NICHE.

niche = a specialized market

and yes, organic and natural is still a niche.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
It may be "right" for drug companies to advertise prescription meds, but thats not why they allowed it.

actually, thats one of the things I don't understand, what's the value of advertising prescription meds. Do people really go to the doc in the US and demand a med because they saw an ad for it?

this baffles my mind

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
actually, thats one of the things I don't understand, what's the value of advertising prescription meds. Do people really go to the doc in the US and demand a med because they saw an ad for it?

this baffles my mind

I would assume it's because people might not know there's a medicine for their issue... or might be taking one med, which has some weird side effects, and aren't aware there's an alternative for it.