WTF is up with Iowa?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
He hasn't been sentenced. See above. But your tender concern for this habitual offender who defiantly showed zero lack of remorse and PROUDLY pleaded guilty is duly noted.
What are you talking about? You misunderstand me, I just dont understand why you havent shot him yet! Without blindfold. (also before Trump pardons him, gun shot to the head is hard to reverse.)

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
What are you talking about? You misunderstand me, I just dont understand why you havent shot him yet! Without blindfold. (also before Trump pardons him, gun shot to the head is hard to reverse.)
Keep laughing and jiving, Skippy. These are not the times for hipster irony or faux concern trolling. People like you are the fetid pool of ignorance and callous indifference in which violent bigotry breeds. People are murdered just for who they are while self-satisfied smart asses like you flap their gums. :(

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
He hasn't been sentenced. See above. But your tender concern for this habitual offender who defiantly showed zero lack of remorse and PROUDLY pleaded guilty is duly noted.

I don't think punishments should be applied differently based on those factors. Not out of concern for this specific individual but for the broader picture. I do recognize that all crimes which fit the same statute are not equivalent. I also see a need to be very conscientious about how they may work in operation as variability of this sort is an invitation for the application of bias and reward for those with means for better representation.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Agreed, in the main, but:
He's a habitual offender who showed zero remorse. He's likely to graduate to -- Oh, I don't know, running over a young girl because she's Mexican or Gay?
He hasn't been sentenced. 15 years is the maximum, recommended by the DA. He'll almost assuredly get less, and then, before serving his sentence, be invited to the Offal Office by President Unflushed Floater.

But if Snopes is correct, much of that sentence seems to be a consequence of a rule that produces unjust results in general. You don't have to like this guy in any way to think "three strikes" rules are a bad idea. I don't really understand the logic behind them. They seem more about some sort of emotional catharthis for a community that's just upset about crime in general, than about justice in individual cases or about actually solving a problem.

A possible irony being some of those complaining about this sentence are very likely the same sorts of folk who demand three-strikes rules in the first place. ("When we said we wanted you to be tough on crime, we didn't mean _our_ crimes! We meant those other crimes, by those other people")

Reactions: DarthKyrie

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Will it be the site of the birth of the zombie apocalypse?

First we have this:

And while that party is just getting started, we have this!

Is Iowa trying to become a "thing" because of the caucus?

Iowa man sentenced to about 15 years in prison after burning an LGBTQ flag hanging from a church

View attachment 14814

Adolfo Martinez did not fight the charges, saying he committed the act "intentionally"

A man has been sentenced to about 15 years after burning an LGBTQ flag hanging from a church in Iowa.
Adolfo Martinez was found guilty on Wednesday after tearing down and burning the flag which was flying at the Ames United Church of Christ in June.
Martinez said he removed the flag because he didn't believe the church should support the LGBTQ community since it is a house of worship, the police report read.

"It was an honor to do that," Martinez told CNN affiliate KCCI. "It's a blessing from the Lord to be able to stand for his world firmly, against all odds."
The 30-year-old faces about 15 years in prison after being found guilty of arson in the 3rd degree in violation of individual rights, harassment in the 3rd degree and reckless use of fire or explosives, according to court documents.

Martinez said he was guilty and had no intention of fighting the charges as he "knowingly, intentionally and willingly" burned the flag.

"Hate crimes against the LGBTQ community are a serious matter as they inflict distinct emotional harms on their victims, and strike fear into the communities they target," Courtney Reyes, the executive director of One Iowa, a statewide LGBTQ organization, said. "That said, true justice should always strive to be about rehabilitation, reconciliation, and healing communities."
Reyes said that while her organization is appreciative of the seriousness of the crime, it does not see how the long sentence "accomplishes any of those goals."

"We will continue to strive for a justice system which values restoration over punishment and helps individuals like Adolfo Martinez understand the harm that they've caused." Story County Attorney Jessica Reynolds told KCCI since Martinez has a long history of harassment and was also charged as a habitual offender, he faced a harsher penalty. "I believe him to be very dangerous," Reynolds said. "That's why my office recommended the maximum sentence."

I wonder which Trumper will be the first to try to draw a parallel between this guy and the apostle Paul who spent many years in prison for his faith.
Love the level headed sentencing throughout this country. 15 years for burning a cloth on a stick. OK.

Reactions: ch33zw1z