WTF is this "Add-on" item BS, Amazon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrokenVisage, Jul 11, 2012.

1. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

Ridiculous. I want to buy a Prime elligable item (nose clip for swimming) that's only $3.77, but because it's an "Add-on item" I can't even purchase it unless it's in an order for $25 or more? THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT PRIME! Screw you Amazon, once they start charging me tax in September I will do whatever I can to avoid buying from there. How about you stop shipping items the size of a tooth in a box ment for a toaster oven, maybe then you wouldn't have to do stuff like this.

2. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

my mom says the same thing about prime. about only half the time she gets to use it, because the things she wants are in some way not prime eligible.

but, she keeps it for the instant video part... which alone is worth it.

3. Riverhound777

Riverhound777 Platinum Member

Hmmm link? I've never seen that. Just ordered a $3 HDMI cable a week or two ago by itself no problem.

4. vshah

vshah Lifer

never seen that either, will definitely ruin prime for me if i do though.

5. jagec

jagec Lifer

It's fairly new. Example:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L87AOC

6. sswingle

sswingle Diamond Member

99% of the time when an item is not Prime eligible its because its being sold by a 3rd party and not Amazon themselves.

7. microAmp

microAmp Diamond Member

http://www.amazon.com/Cressi-DF-2001...p+for+swimming

I suspect it's this. Seems to be a new thing from Amazon too. One thing to note is things that came in a 12-pack, xyz-pack, can now be bought as a single item.

8. Riverhound777

Riverhound777 Platinum Member

Interesting. I wonder if it's true that the items wouldn't have been on there before this. Or if this is just a way to help offset the money they've been loosing on people ordering a bunch of cheap small items and having to ship them at a loss.

I agree though that prime should be exempt from this new Add-on program.

9. vshah

vshah Lifer

it seems that these are smaller quantities or single items that wouldn't have been prime eligible at all before. that's OK by me

10. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

11. SP33Demon

SP33Demon Lifer

While it seems like they're offering newer items, I bet this will be their sneaky way to designate many Prime Only status to Add On only status. However, they are losing money on little shit like that so stop complaining. Blame the states for making them pay taxes they shouldn't have to.

12. preslove

preslove Lifer

OP, just learn to breath out your nose.

13. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

Not the case for all the items, I bought this nose clip last year but lost it. The price was 14 cents less and I bought it by itself, got it shipped for free through Prime. Now, same nose clip, 14 cents more expensive (NBD) but it's an "Add-on Item". Asked Amazon to give me an exception on principle to buy it alone and I see someone added Dragon Naturally Speaking to my cart so I'm guessing they'll make it work somehow, but going forward it's very disappointing if they continue this program.

14. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

I can do that, but have small lung capacity and sometimes panic when under water. The clip is mostly for being at the waterpark, if I fly off the tube at the end of the slide I will always get water in my nose which fucking sucks.

15. ShawnD1

ShawnD1 Lifer

If you panic and inhale, doesn't that mean you'll just panic and inhale through your mouth instead of your nose?

Also, why is that light bulb $4.46? It's not even fluorescent. It better be the best damn light bulb in the universe for that price.

16. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Again, learn to exhale as you are going under water.

Works well.

17. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

Umm bro, not all items are Prime Eligible. They are being cool and allowing certain items that don't qualify themselves to be bundled with others to get the free shipping benefit.

You should already be paying sales tax on anything you buy online.

Volume of packing doesn't usually affect the costs for the most part on those in volume like Amazon. The cost of the materials are a concern though.

Your mentality is why many merchants don't offer similar deals.

18. Krazy4Real

Krazy4Real Lifer

this

19. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

:confused: If Amazon is physically holding an item at one of their fulfillment centers (Prime elligable) then it should be able to be brought with free 2-day shipping, I don't care what it is. I don't know what you mean by "they are being cool" they are only taking items that were previously Prime elligable and giving them the $25+ order restriction. I don't see them flooding the market with new items under this program, just pigeonholing current ones and classifying new ones if they don't meet a certain size/weight as "Add-on items" as they come in.

20. Muse

Muse Lifer

I don't have prime. I bought a $3.80 and a $5 video cable a few days ago that were shipped "free with Super Saver Shipping" and could do this because I had another item that rendered the total for the order over $25. This is my general strategy and rarely incur shipping charges when I buy at Amazon except when it's through a 3rd party that isn't offering free shipping (happens sometimes).

I have never seen an item at Amazon that I could not buy because my order wasn't big enough... never! Don't know what that's about.

So, Amazon's going to start charging CA tax? I guess I kind of knew this, but didn't know it was starting in Sept. I must say, I've been doing a lot of Amazon business recently! My birthday is in 3 weeks! I love e-commerce, particularly with Amazon with its SSS, zero tax and very frequent best pricing!

#20 Muse, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  21. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

This item is just not prime eligible.

Maybe it was before, but it's not anymore.

22. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

23. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

oh wow, interesting ... doesn't this defeat the purpose of prime for those small items...that is why people got it! To get $3 items in 2 days.

24. Atomic Playboy

I've seen people wearing clips on their nose at the waterpark, but I always assumed they were the types of people who weren't allowed outside without a helmet. Have you thought about taking some swimming lessons so you're more comfortable in the water and can handle your breathing effectively? It would probably also help you with your panicking, which, let's face it, isn't something you want to happen when confronted with water.

25. darkswordsman17

First off, Amazon can do whatever they want. I don't think Prime was ever advertised as "if its our warehouses its Prime eligible" so that rationale is just stupid, Prime has always been item dependent. I don't know why you think just because it was Prime eligible on its own before they shouldn't be able to adjust it.

They're basically coming up with a new classification of items for little dinky shit so that they can offer more of that type of stuff without losing money, while also making it so you can actually bundle that dinky shit and get your Prime benefits. It makes sense, and even from a consumer standpoint it will likely even out. You just have to actually think about when you buy and try to buy a bunch of stuff together.