WTF is the US Coast Guard doing in the Persian Gulf?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Lets kill 2 birds with one stone.

Last Thursday, the US Navy rescued 13 Iranian fishermen who had been held captive by pirates in the northern Arabian Sea, just outside the Gulf, for more than 40 days. That happened just days after Tehran warned the United States to keep its warships out of the Gulf. The fishermen were sent on their way and the 15 pirates were taken aboard the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis.
Now we know what happened to the pirates.

In the latest incident, Pentagon press secretary George Little said the Iranians aboard a cargo dhow about 80 kilometres southeast of the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr used flares and flashlights to hail the cutter Monomoy at 3:00am local time Tuesday. The vessel's master indicated that his engine room was flooding and "deemed not seaworthy," Little said.

In a more detailed account, US Naval Forces Central Command, based in Bahrain, said two of the Iranians were rescued from the dhow and four from a life raft tied to the vessel's stern. After being fed and provided blankets and water, the Iranians were transferred to an Iranian coast guard vessel, the Naji 7

Naval Forces Central Command quoted the dhow's owner, identified as Hakim Hamid-Awi, as telling the Americans, "Without your help, we were dead. Thank you for all that you did for us”.

In that account, a civilian interpreter aboard the Monomoy quoted the captain of the Iranian coast guard vessel as saying he "sends his regards and thanks to our captain and all crewmembers for assisting and taking care of the Iranian sailors. Wishes us the best and thanks us for our cooperation”.

The Monomoy is assigned to a naval task force of the US Naval Forces Central Command.
http://jordantimes.com/us-ship-rescues-iranians-at-sea----again

Story a little bit different than in the first News paper. But the Jordan Times one seems a bit better written to me and more detail. Swort and sweet. I always seek other newspaper sources and read it because some of the well known ones write a long article where 1 or 2 things are left out.

_57809574_iran_iraq_gulf_arabiansea_0112.gif

Then here is another interesting peace I found.

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The United States government hit 10 firms linked to Iranian's shipping industry with sanctions on Tuesday, accusing them of helping the Islamic republic's missile and other military programmes.

The treasury department said 10 Malta-based shipping and front companies and one individual were linked to the state-run Islamic republic of Iran Shipping Lines, Irano Hind — a joint venture with the Indian government — and ISI Maritime.

The shippers are accused of "involvement in Iran's efforts to advance its missile programmes and transport military cargoes," and of trying to skirt sanctions via front companies.

"As IRISL and its subsidiaries continue their deceptive efforts to escape the grasp of US and international sanctions, we will continue to take action... to stop this illicit business," said top treasury official David Cohen.

Treasury said Irano Hind was a joint venture between IRISL and the Shipping Corporation of India, a state-backed enterprise based in Mumbai that was first hit with sanctions in 2009.

Similar sanctions were introduced by the European Union on December 1.

Malta, independent island nation in the Mediterranean Sea.

Now if you look where Malta is situated and see the route from it to Iran you will notice that is will have to pass the pirate Territory. I think that why the coast gueard is patrolling there and two Iranian vessels were saved.
Question is why any not mentioned what happened to the pirates? Were they executed locked up thrown in the sea what? Newspaper headline normally state if they arrested them. They boarded the US ship but no repports further.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The moron count in this thread is higher than most.

ZOMG THE COAST GUARD DOESN'T JUST GUARD COASTS! BLASPHEMY! I KNOW BETTER THAN MILITARY GUYS HOW MILITARY SHOULD BE USED AND I SAY IT STUPID!

I've also got some news that'll astound you. The Air Force has *gasp* GROUND FORCES? FOR MORE THAN MAINTENANCE? WHY? THEY'RE THE AIR FORCE! God that's stupid.

And what about those Navy SEALs taking out Bin Laden last year? SEALs are Navy, and Afghanistan is landlocked. Obviously using the SEALs was a stupid decision, they're Navy and the Navy only works in water. Should have waited for the Green Berets or Delta Force.

See? 5 year old logic isn't hard to come buy.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Who stops the illegal immigrants rowing into Miami then?
They do not make it into Miami.

Every once in a while a raft may slip into the keys. Miami is another 100+ miles north and out of the current delivery system

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

ZOMG THE COAST GUARD DOESN'T JUST GUARD COASTS! BLASPHEMY! I KNOW BETTER THAN MILITARY GUYS HOW MILITARY SHOULD BE USED AND I SAY IT STUPID!

I've also got some news that'll astound you. The Air Force has *gasp* GROUND FORCES? FOR MORE THAN MAINTENANCE? WHY? THEY'RE THE AIR FORCE! God that's stupid.

And what about those Navy SEALs taking out Bin Laden last year? SEALs are Navy, and Afghanistan is landlocked. Obviously using the SEALs was a stupid decision, they're Navy and the Navy only works in water. Should have waited for the Green Berets or Delta Force.

Um we know that who said that. Didn't you read before blurting your mouth off?
Let me post it again for you
The Monomoy is assigned to a naval task force of the US Naval Forces Central Command.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

There's air even at sea level :colbert:
SEALs - Sea, Air, Land :colbert:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Liar. All air force troops are outfitted with hover boots so they always stay an inch or so off the ground. I read it on MoveOn, so it must be the truth.