WTF is the obsession with cat pictures?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery
That Fuji certainly saturates the colors. Do you prefer that, or more natural?
:) What did you run that through to downplay the colors? Believe it or not it was very bright and orangy out that day, taken not long before sunset, though I can't say which picture is more accurate to how it really was...

Colors aside I was pretty pleased with the pic. I like the nice focus on polly and then the blurring in the background. I printed it for $.29 at a drugstore and it came out surprisingly well!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, if that was sunset, then the colors may be right on. My Sony F707 makes colors more vivid than real life, and sometimes deep reds are blown out. That was corrected in the F717, yet it still favors more vivid colors. The S50 we have, does colors very nicely. Realistic, yet not drab.

I ran your image through PhotoShop, and adjusted the levels. Your camera should have come with software to do the same thing. No matter what, you need a good image to start with, that has all the image information there. Sometimes there's details in shadows that can be brought out, but if it isn't exposed right from the start, they'll be gone.

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Here's random cat picture of the day #34534:

link

EDIT: Damn, had to find another pic that allows linking :|

LSUfan

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: TheToOTaLL

link

Some of the good ones had broken links :|

link broken

Tyvärr!

Du har försökt att ladda en sida som inte finns på Passagens medlemsservrar. Detta kan bero på någon av följande anledningar:

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: LSUfan
Originally posted by: TheToOTaLL

link

Some of the good ones had broken links :|

link broken

Tyvärr!

Du har försökt att ladda en sida som inte finns på Passagens medlemsservrar. Detta kan bero på någon av följande anledningar:

Found another picture - that one didn't allow linking :|

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
That Fuji certainly saturates the colors. Do you prefer that, or more natural?

I think that [edited] picture certainly takes out some of the yellow/red(orange) cast, but now the whites look bluish, in my opinion. I guess the white color temp or balance is preference, though. I like the "warm" look in picutres, espscially outdoor pictures.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's funny how your eyes manage to white balance everything so easily. I guess white is actually relative. Check it out...
What manner of trickery is this? :evil:. I did put them in photoshop, and by themselves they are the same, but I still don't believe it!

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's funny how your eyes manage to white balance everything so easily. I guess white is actually relative. Check it out...
What manner of trickery is this? :evil:. I did put them in photoshop, and by themselves they are the same, but I still don't believe it!

R:107
G:107
B:107

But, they appear to look different. I, too, don't quite understand what this is supposed to mean. Does this have to do with the effect of the alternating darker and lighter tiles which make it appear to be different?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I guess that must be affecting the eye's impressions. I actually changed it to a .bmp and got the same result, so there is no dark magic here, from what I can tell. Still though, it's quite amazing. I actually circled my fingers around each tile, when on the picture, and if you look at JUST the tiles, and then switch between each one, without the surrounding tiles influcing things, indeed they are the same shade.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's your wondrous eyes 'playing tricks'. Actually, it's your brain doing the magic. That's why flickering movies look fluid.

Before there was auto white balance, you used filters to adjust for incandescent or fluorescent light. If fluorescent lights gave a green tint, you'd use a rose filter. If indoor lights were yellow, you'd throw on a blue filter. Your eyes saw the final image as whiter...

Bleach One; The Grime Fighters
  • Both types of bleach work by oxidation and chlorination, which means they accept electrons from other compounds. (If you need to review this topic, read section 4.4 in Chang.) Colored compounds, including organic compounds that we use for clothing dyes and those that cause stains on clothing, usually contain double and triple bonds. These bonds absorb light of a particular frequency, which causes them to appear as a particular color to our eyes. Bleaches reduce these multiple bonds to single bonds. When this occurs, light will be reflected by the material rather than absorbed. The reflection of all wavelengths is seen as white by the human eye, so our clothes appear whiter and brighter.

Interestingly, one of the best brightening and ?whitening? agents is ?laundry bluing.? This material is a concentrated intensely blue liquid that looks like it would stain anything a pernicious shade of blue! So, why doesn?t this blue liquid stain your clothes? Why does it make your white clothes look even whiter? Does it change into a white substance when it contacts fabric? No! ?Laundry bluing? actually changes your whole shirt slightly blue ! It turns out that the human eye sees a bluish-white tint as whiter than pure white! ?Laundry Bluing? is not a popular component of the average laundry process anymore. But, it is a fascinating window into how what we perceive visually is not always straight forward. For a more complete explanation into this subject, visit the following web site.