WTF happened to HardForum??

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Does anyone here ever visit HardForum? I haven't been on there in a couple of months, but Holy Hell, they've installed some wretched new forum software and its totally fucked up now.

Who's the giant leaking douchebag that used to run that thing? I remember back in the day that he was a complete asshole who didn't know shit about tech. Most of the articles on hardcop or whatever he called the site were a joke. Does he still own the site, or has it changed hands?

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
The forums here aren't much better. Outdated, missing some very useful plugins. But what do I know.

FWIW HardForum's FSFT is far more active than here. So for FSFT I go there, for conversation I come here. Though, that's been lacking lately here.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
The forums here aren't much better. Outdated, missing some very useful plugins. But what do I know.

FWIW HardForum's FSFT is far more active than here. So for FSFT I go there, for conversation I come here. Though, that's been lacking lately here.

FSFT is one of the things most screwed up by the changes over there. Search results now are nearly worthless.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
FSFT is one of the things most screwed up by the changes over there. Search results now are nearly worthless.

As opposed to here, where the search results have been worthless even AFTER transitioning forum software. *scratches head*

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
They installed XenoFro Forums a few weeks ago. Their old forum theme was about 15 years old and the new one renders 1000x better on smaller screens.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I used to visit that one quite a bit, until I realized there was off topic here that was free.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
His name is Kyle Bennett and yes, he is a thunderous douchebag.

I do still sell my used PC hardware there.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
His name is Kyle Bennett and yes, he is a thunderous douchebag.
You make him sound like a angel... he is 100X worse than what you have said.

If it wasn't for Steve, they would have gone under.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
Does anyone here ever visit HardForum? I haven't been on there in a couple of months, but Holy Hell, they've installed some wretched new forum software and its totally fucked up now.

Who's the giant leaking douchebag that used to run that thing? I remember back in the day that he was a complete asshole who didn't know shit about tech. Most of the articles on hardcop or whatever he called the site were a joke. Does he still own the site, or has it changed hands?

XenForo is much better than the ancient vBulletin software still in use here (written by some of the same people too).

Now, I agree that the skin isn't great there!

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
I never really had an issue with Kyle, it's nice to see a site owner that interacts more often with the users, so there's that.

Yeah, Kyle and his team just did the forum upgrade and is very responsive to change suggestions in their big thread about the forum upgrade. The upgrade doesn't take too long to get use to and is much better for mobile.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
XenForo is much better than the ancient vBulletin software still in use here (written by some of the same people too).

Now, I agree that the skin isn't great there!

I disagree. I don't care for the way you have to do things. phpBB is a hell of a lot better and with the use of extensions it's even better.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000

+1 :thumbsup:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Thinking about adding a fake cash system to my forum. LOL! You can collect interest and use the bank! :D

I had that at one of my forums, there was a virtual village where you can buy land and build stuff and there was lot of other things you could do like change someone's title. At one point I had an AI bot that would randomly reply to threads, you could pay to have it reply to a certain poster. Then that person could pay to make it stop etc. If I recall there was a stock market too, I don't recall how it worked though, it was randomized I think. Fun times.