WTF EA thread # 564453435676

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I don't understand why this is controversial. Not everyone has hundreds of hours to pour into a game, and may want to use some of the weapons/equipment that they would never have the opportunity to use. It's on the expensive side, but other than that I don't understand the fuss.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Again, there seems to be some sort of misconception that the unlocks grant one an unfair advantage over another. Truth be told, the vast majority of the weapons I run with tend to be in the early or middle end of the unlock spectrum. The unlocks are by far a positive feature in that they provide a further incentive to continue playing, as well as providing that feel-good moment of reward upon unlock. If the unlocks actually affected balance, I would be right there complaining with everyone else, but the bottom line is that the unlocks, at least in BF3, are not gameplay changers or balance ruiners.

agree 100%.

assault, 2 of the best guns are US starter M16A3 and unlock #1 M416

support M27/RPK are great, M249 is beatly, 249 is first unlock I thnk

engie doesnt really have a BAD gun

recon, sure the M98 is the last, but the SV is good, and the Lwhatever is easy to get from btk and great

people are just mad because it isnt free

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Didn't play BF3, but if it's anything like BFBC2's progression anyone will have all the unlocks in a relatively short period of time anyway. Further, none of them are particularly powerful (though the unlockable sniper rifles in BC2 were definitely better than default), and even 'ranking up' in BC2 I never died and thought to myself "Man if only I had that next gun or that perk" because they're simply not a big deal.

In principal I think unlocks aren't a great idea in 'competitive' games but I never felt the BF series was particularly competitive, at least in the sense that it's an 'arena' game. In an arena game the intent is to kind of put things in a vacuum and try to remove as many variables as possible and see what happens but I think that is contrary to the heart of the BF series, a large scale war simulation.

If someone wants to buy their upgrades then go right ahead and kudos to EA for rendering them a service. I have no idea why people are flipping out aside from the fact BF3 has the EA logo on the box.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
agree 100%.

assault, 2 of the best guns are US starter M16A3 and unlock #1 M416

support M27/RPK are great, M249 is beatly, 249 is first unlock I thnk

engie doesnt really have a BAD gun

recon, sure the M98 is the last, but the SV is good, and the Lwhatever is easy to get from btk and great

people are just mad because it isnt free

agree on all points, hell im killed with the SVD or EMR more then any other sniper it seems. which are the first 2.

it does give you early access to the auto and semi auto shotguns, thats about the only bonus. and teh AS Val if you happen to like it. Personally i cant stand it, vert climb is too hight

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I think the biggest bonus this unlock pack gives is for the vehicles. They can be a true PIA to get leveled now and without having the unlocks for them puts you at a big disadvantage. I agree with the class unlocks mostly being pretty even for most weapons for each class and isn't a big deal. Shouldn't have gay unlocks to start with in a multiplayer game anyways imo. Put everyone on an even playing field and let skill/teamwork determine who is best.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Because the appropriate price for that functionality is zero.

Its the same as for people who buy gold or power leveling. People want the highest level without putting the time in for it. IMO who cares. Its not like the last unlock is superior to the stock weapons.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Because I feel the appropriate price for that functionality is zero.

FTFY. Just because you do not feel the price is appropriate does not mean there are others who appreciate having the option. Bitching about the price of an optional feature, which (again) does not affect game balance, simply means you don't buy it. Simple.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
FTFY. Just because you do not feel the price is appropriate does not mean there are others who appreciate having the option. Bitching about the price of an optional feature, which (again) does not affect game balance,
OK, so you are claiming that TV missile makes absolutely no difference to the effectiveness of a chopper gunner. (And no other unlock in the game makes any difference either.)

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
OK, so you are claiming that TV missile makes absolutely no difference to the effectiveness of a chopper gunner. (And no other unlock in the game makes any difference either.)

Only scrubs would be concerned by other scrubs that pay to unlock shit in a game. Me personally, I don't give a shit...because I kick way too much ass, and die a lot in the process. Also, the majority of the servers I go on, most players are already into their service stars. But I guess shitty players need some sort of excuse to invalidate their suckiness.

I can see this being an issue if it happened when the game first released, but the game's been out for 6 months, the majority of the community has already been established.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Because the appropriate price for that functionality is zero.

OK then don't pay for it. Value is subjective at times, and obviously this has no value to you. So don't buy it. I still don't understand the controversy.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
OK then don't pay for it. Value is subjective at times, and obviously this has no value to you. So don't buy it. I still don't understand the controversy.

The controversy is it's EA and all the cool kids hate EA.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Why not just avoid their games? Words are cheap, stop playing their games and their business model will HAVE to change.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007

Considering almost all I do is heliwhore, a TV missile in a noob's hands is actually worse than not having the TV. To put it another way, I'd rather have a semi-experienced gunner w/o TV over a noob gunner with TV.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Why not just avoid their games? Words are cheap, stop playing their games and their business model will HAVE to change.

I do avoid their games, but evangelizing my position on the matter to other people may help them notice what they may have not otherwise.