WTF: A $500M (!) Ferris Wheel For New York?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
$100 million at 10%? I thought the Mafia was dead now. Somebody is going to make a whole boatload of money on this project-probably whether it goes forward or not.

BTW is $500M an absurd amount compared to how much sports stadiums cost? In those cases it's usually public money whether we tax payers want to do it or not.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then what's the problem? As long as the public is in no way on the hook for the costs...let them build it...if it fails as a business, so be it. (just make sure there's some kind of contingency to protect the public in the event they go belly up.)

My only problem with it is that it seems like a dumb idea. People are free to be dumb with their own money, of course.

Feb 6, 2007
BTW is $500M an absurd amount compared to how much sports stadiums cost? In those cases it's usually public money whether we tax payers want to do it or not.

Stadiums being absurd financial boondoggles does not preclude Ferris wheels from being absurd financial boondoggles as well. They're both crazy.

Speaking of crazy, they built that giant Ferris wheel in Vegas (called the High Roller, which, hey, great dad pun guys). But the thing isn't even on the Strip. It's out back behind The Linq (whoever is in charge of naming things for this company is vastly overpaid). Last time I was in Vegas I got lost in the basement of the Flamingo, came out some side door in a back alley and I'm face to face with this enormous contraption... and all I could think was "why did they leave this on a side street and not put it out front where it would have a view of everything?" Sure, it goes up high so you can see the Strip, but 360 degree views and the entirety of the stuff you want to look at is to the West... that seems like kind of a waste, you know?

Oct 30, 2004
Put the new Ferris wheel on top of the new Freedom Tower or the Empire State Building. Now that would be cool! Call it the FEARris Wheel!