WSJ Live on Apple TV now worthless

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Apple TV has very few apps, by design. The spots are clearly coveted. You can thus imagine the horror and disgust I had a few weeks back when an app I used to use for 5-10 min most nights before bed starting bending me over a barrel and making it hurt for 30 SECONDS of ad before the 60-300 second WSJ bits. I hoped it was a temporary thing, but it's still there tonight.

A 30 second ad before a couple of minute news story is absolutely abominable.

and-now-i-also-has-mega-sad--1.jpg

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
abominable - adjective
very bad or unpleasant:
The prisoners are forced to live in abominable conditions.
The weather's been abominable all week.

Yes.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Pleased to note that in the last two days I've tested several vids and only got one ad. Seems wsj toned it way back.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Ads playing before the video is one of the hallmarks of bad web design. The longer the ad too, the quicker people will tune out and go elsewhere for their content. Unfortunately, it seems to be the way the winds are blowing. A lot of these big media companies, especially those who used to specialize in print, still haven't quite figured out how the internet works. It's why they're all in the red ink.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I don't go to Youtube anymore. I can't stand the ads. The few websites I go to, I get a yearly sub so I don't get flooded with ads.