WS2012R2 Standard two virtual machine limit: Imposed or just limit?

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
Hello

From what I understand, when you install the Hyper-V role in WS2012R2 Standard, you can make up to two virtual machines. Is this strictly imposed means that once you create two VMs, if you try to make more a error comes up or can you make 1 Windows 7 VM, 1 Windows 8 VM, and then make more (for example) Linux virtual machines (depending of course on hardware limitations).

What exactly is the limit like?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's an imposed limit. Standard gets 2 VMs, more expensive editions get more.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This page has more straight forward tutorial about Hyper-V.

https://4sysops.com/archives/hyper-v-cluster-part-1-requirements/

Including this Quote:
"Technically, there are no differences in the way these three flavors offer Hyper-V and failover clustering on the scale of this series. The differences between them is their licensing:

Hyper-V Server comes without any licensing for virtual machines. You will need to take care of licensing your virtual machines yourself. That’s not a problem for Linux-based VMs or the non-OEM Windows Server Standard installations you want to P2V to this platform. Also, when you want to use trial editions of Windows Server in your VMs, but you want a longer lasting Hypervisor platform, Hyper-V Server is the way to go.

Windows Server 2012 Standard comes with a built-in license to install it on a physical host, as well as on two VMs you run on the physical host.

Windows Server 2012 Enterprise comes with a built-in license to install it on a physical host with at least two processors, and then allows you to run an unlimited number of Windows Server-based VMs.

:cool:

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Windows Server 2012 Enterprise comes with a built-in license to install it on a physical host with at least two processors, and then allows you to run an unlimited number of Windows Server-based VMs.

No such thing as Enterprise. Its called Datacenter.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
No such thing as Enterprise. Its called Datacenter.

QFT

The One Word official name is Datacenter.

The general description is....

Windows Server 2012 R2 provides enterprise-class datacenter and hybrid cloud solutions that are simple to deploy, cost-effective, application-focused, and user-centric.

-------
As a result, some might relate to it as Windows Server 2012 R2 Enterprise.

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
This page has more straight forward tutorial about Hyper-V.

https://4sysops.com/archives/hyper-v-cluster-part-1-requirements/

Including this Quote:
"Technically, there are no differences in the way these three flavors offer Hyper-V and failover clustering on the scale of this series. The differences between them is their licensing:

Hyper-V Server comes without any licensing for virtual machines. You will need to take care of licensing your virtual machines yourself. That’s not a problem for Linux-based VMs or the non-OEM Windows Server Standard installations you want to P2V to this platform. Also, when you want to use trial editions of Windows Server in your VMs, but you want a longer lasting Hypervisor platform, Hyper-V Server is the way to go.

Windows Server 2012 Standard comes with a built-in license to install it on a physical host, as well as on two VMs you run on the physical host.

I apoglize before hand but there is something I understand from you and then there is something I understand from a Microsoft rep.

What I understand from you:
Hyper-V Server: Unlimited virtual machines on baremetal. (ala ESXi)
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard: 2 virtual machines on a Hyper-V software role (ala Workstation)
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter: Unlimited virtual machines on a Hyper-V software role (ala Workstation)

What I understood from Microsoft:
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard: Hyper-V Server (ala ESXi) where one virtual machine MUST BE Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and the other virtual machine can be whatever I want. (So essentially I can really only make one virtual machine)
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter: Hyper-V Server (ala ESXi) where one virtual machine CAN BE Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter and the other virtual machines can be whatever I want. (So essentially I can make all the virtual machines I want)

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Pricing and the way products are sold change over time and different vendors might have specific deals.

Thus if you have already purchased product or you are talking to reps in different countries/places the deal is whatever the offer is and you have to discuss with them the diviations.

Currently this is the status of Windows 2012 server R2 capacities and pricing.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2012-r2/buy.aspx

---------------------
Technically you can find free eBook of Windows 210R3 here - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_p...indows-server-2012-r2-technical-overview.aspx

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
It boils down to licensing. There is no limitation inside hyper-v that enforces the limit

Yes, and you would license as needed

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard: 2 virtual machines on a Hyper-V software role (ala Workstation)
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter: Unlimited virtual machines on a Hyper-V software role (ala Workstation)
Pretty much yes

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard: Hyper-V Server (ala ESXi) where one virtual machine MUST BE Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and the other virtual machine can be
whatever I want. (So essentially I can really only make one virtual machine)
No you can still do two VMs, but the Physical can only be Hyper-V, no other features/roles. Just management only. ala workstation

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter: Hyper-V Server (ala ESXi) where one virtual machine CAN BE Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter and the other virtual machines can be whatever I want. (So essentially I can make all the virtual machines I want)
Yes

If you plan to only run 2 vms, then Standard would be better.
If you plan to run say 5 VMs, then you would have to purchase either 1 Datacenter (Unlimited VMs) or 3 Standard(2 VM's per license)

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
I apoglize before hand but there is something I understand from you and then there is something I understand from a Microsoft rep.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard: Hyper-V Server (ala ESXi) where one virtual machine MUST BE Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and the other virtual machine can be whatever I want. (So essentially I can really only make one virtual machine)
I think i need to clear up a few misunderstanding here. I'll quote the above and answer:

Yes unlimited virtual machines, however you will need to license all your virtual machines individually. If you put on 5 Windows machines then you will need to buy 5 windows licenses.

Alternatively you could run as many Linux machines as you like, or a mix of both. But keep in mind you need a license for each Windows VM.

Wrong!
This is the mistake everyone makes. Once you enable the Hyper-V role on a Windows Server then the host becomes a baremetal hypervisor - Type 1, just like ESXi.

VMWare Workstation is a Host Hypervisor - Type 2

The Standard license gives you two "Free" Windows licenses included. That means you can install 2 Windows Server 2012 (R2) VMs and you can license them at no cost (You either use an AVS key or a key you are given upon purchase).

Any other Windows Server you provision after the first two "Free" VMs you will have to license yourself.

Additionally you can create as many Linux/Windows VMs as you want.

Again, Wrong.

As above, but this time you can License "Unlimited" Windows virtual machines. So if you have a host capable to running 500 Windows Server 2012 R2 vms then you can have them all on that host for no extra cost.

Again, Linux isn't affected by licensing and you can therefore run as many Linux VM's as you like.

And just for the record:
Hyper-V is a type 1 hypervisor ala ESXi ;)

Last edited: