Writing Zeros To Your Drive

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
When you guys format your hard drive(s) do you write zeros to them?

If so what program do you use.

I have this really old Gateway program that came out with Windows 95 that is called gwscan.exe - you can find it on google?

Is writing zeros to your drive bad?

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
If I was that concerned with the data on a drive I would just destroy it by immolation. Even the best ways of deletion can be undeleted by the best.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Its a good way to get rid of everything and start with a fresh drive. But I'd only do it if I saw any bad sectors.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
http://dban.sourceforge.net/
DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I don't bother with writing zeros unless I'm getting rid of a harddrive or the data on it permanently.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
I do if I get bored....Depends on how big the drive is, really...I did it on the drive for my Inspiron 8100 when I sold it...

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I don't see the necessity. Like the guy I sell a hard drive to is going to use some extravagent undelete program to dig up my BF2142 screenshots and my HD movie collection.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: FoBoT
DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: isasir
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: FoBoT

That is what I use too!

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I haven't written random data or wrote all zeros to my HD in a while and I don't think I am going to unless I sell my hard drive.
I used to have BCWipe installed about a half a year ago. WD has a program to write all zeros to a hard drive if you guys really wanted to use that.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eraser or dban ig uess. and yes its a wise thing to do before tossing or selling. i remember some british documentary news piece that tracked where pc's tossed to recycling centers for electronic waste ended up. the harddrives ended up in africa where people extracted personal info to steal identities and stuff. the reporter just went into a store and bought some of these old drives and got info off em:p twisted stuff. the reporter then went back to the uk to track down the original owners and surprise them heh