Writing zeros to hard drive...

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I mean could a super hard drive techno weenie recover the data, such as credit card numbers & such?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
It could be possible, but not with any of the general commercially available recovery software, i dont see they could

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
And it depends on how thoroughly you over write with zeros. DoD standard is three times, and that is just about not recoverable.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Cooler
Short anwser yes. Distory all hard drives you dont want any more.

Yeah. Not just the chips either. Destroy them with something explosive. :D

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Even if you overwrite it multiple times I bet it would still be recoverable by someone like the FBI, but not by using any software you can buy in the store.

lucky9

Sep 6, 2003
DoD will cover your fear. If the FBI or some other national agency is interested I'd use a big hammer.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
From what I've read, if a hard drive has been disassembled fully, it's basically not possible to recover anything off it short of using an electron microscope (IIRC with big ?) to read the bits one at a time. If the FBI is after you that bad, they'll find other evidence that is good enough for them rather than wasting their time with your shattered hard disk platters. The DoD wipe should be fine for all practical intents and purposes, though you can do it several times for extra peace of mind. ;)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
The Broken 3. Have thermite compound stored in a spare bay underneath, and wire it up. When you need to destroy the data, press the button and 1000C!

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
OK, so hypothetically speaking, I am selling my PC to some uber computer nerd kid b/c it's a nice gaming machine. Problem is that i USE AUTO COMPLETE and we all know that keeps the numbers you write as well. If I wrote zeroes to the drive could this uber geek get the information off the drive?

*keep in mind I'm using Data Lifeguard to do this.

ShadowBlade

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
if its just deleted with windows, yes, for about $20 or free w/ pirating skills
if its sensitive, try a free program called 'eraser,' it passes over the data x times with a random pattern....
the department of defense standard is 7 passes, this can go as high as you want
i dont have a link to the site, but if you cant find it, ill email you the installer

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
This is what you need (Darik's Boot and Nuke). There's no way in reality that he'll be able to get anything off of the drive after you wipe it thoroughly with that utility. :D

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
This is what you need (Darik's Boot and Nuke). There's no way in reality that he'll be able to get anything off of the drive after you wipe it thoroughly with that utility. :D

Yeah I'd second that. DBAN the last option on the option lists of types of wipe is the best - lots of randoms 1s and 0s.

For peace of mind
1x short DOD (=3 passes)
10x (or more) last listed option (=10 passes+)
1x Royal Canadian (=5 passes?)

That should do it ;)

ps. I sold my hardrive to a uber-geek recently too. worry not!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pr0d1gy
OK, so hypothetically speaking, I am selling my PC to some uber computer nerd kid b/c it's a nice gaming machine. Problem is that i USE AUTO COMPLETE and we all know that keeps the numbers you write as well. If I wrote zeroes to the drive could this uber geek get the information off the drive?

*keep in mind I'm using Data Lifeguard to do this.

CHANGE your passwords REGULARLY. Selling your HD is a good time and 'excuse' to do so. ;)

Any of the disk wiping utilities that uses random zeros and ones in multiple passes should be fine.