Write three names for 10.(Now with supposed answer)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: bsmithy
reminds me of a test i did at college

starts here

Answer questions as quickly as possible.

Read all questions first.

01. What is your name?

02. What is the most commen letter in your name?

03. How many rooms are there in your house?

04. How many vowels are there in question 3?

05. How many names can you think of beginning with A?

06. How many "i"'s are there on this page?

07. Only Do questions 1 and 8!

08. How long did this test take you?

ends here

it got me for a few minutes :)

if you only do questions 1 and 8, then are you allowed to "do" question 7, which tells you to skip everything other than #1 and #8 (including #7)?

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: + :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: = 10

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: + :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: = 10

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: + :beer: :beer: = 9

:p

:beer::) i'll take one of those

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: eakers
Originally posted by: MAME
Originally posted by: eakers
ten
1*10^1
1mod9

1 mod 9? try again sweetheart

so 10/9 is not rest one?

10/9 is 1 remainder 1 but 1 mod 9 is NOT 10.

Try this c++ program and you tell me what the output it:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std; //introduces namespace std
int main( void )
{
cout << 1%9 ;
return 0;
}

I'll give you a hint: THE ANSWER IS 1

adios

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Hector13
Originally posted by: bsmithy
reminds me of a test i did at college

starts here

Answer questions as quickly as possible.

Read all questions first.

01. What is your name?

02. What is the most commen letter in your name?

03. How many rooms are there in your house?

04. How many vowels are there in question 3?

05. How many names can you think of beginning with A?

06. How many "i"'s are there on this page?

07. Only Do questions 1 and 8!

08. How long did this test take you?

ends here

it got me for a few minutes :)

if you only do questions 1 and 8, then are you allowed to "do" question 7, which tells you to skip everything other than #1 and #8 (including #7)?

The first instruction says to answer the questions. The second instruction says to read all the questions. Item number 07 is not a question, it's an exclamatory statement. Therefore, you should not have even read it, let alone answered it.

-patchy

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
This was the question on a first grade math homework sheet. The rest of the sheet consisted of some addition and subtraction problems, and one word problem.

So I ask you to answer this question. I'll tell you why later.

is it later yet?

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: GhettoFob
Originally posted by: Sifl
three names for ten.

Actually it'd technically be of the following form:

three names for 10.

<edit> Nobody has written &Oslash;(11) yet? I'm ashamed. I thought there were some number theorists here. :p </edit>

As far as "three names for 10" is concerned...I don't think they woudl do that to 1st graders

Think again....that was the exact wording of the question.

According to the teacher the answer is:

2+8=10
5+5=10
12-2=10

and so on....

I was in the camp of ten, deca, diez, etc.....

So when my son asked for help on this one I told him to write names (as he thought he should do also). When I got the sheet back yesterday it had a big question mark and the "Correct" numerical examples.

It just kinda rubbed me wrong because this teacher tends to really come down on her students when they miss something.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As far as "three names for 10" is concerned...I don't think they woudl do that to 1st graders

2+8=10
5+5=10
12-2=10

and so on....

So when my son asked for help on this one I told him to write names (as he thought he should do also). When I got the sheet back yesterday it had a big question mark and the "Correct" numerical examples.

It just kinda rubbed me wrong because this teacher tends to really come down on her students when they miss something.

That teacher is an idiot.
I had a similar dolt for 5th grade math.

We were doing decimal rounding, and I wanted to demonstrate that I understood the process.
So when he said: "Round .009345 to the nearest thousandth," I wrote .009000, for example.

He marked every single one wrong, AND gave me a "detention" so that he could give me extra help.

OK, now that I've got a college degree, I understand why .009000 is different from .009, but at that grade level, you are taught that trailing zeroes in decimals are meaningless.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

great. your son's teacher just taught him that thinking outside the box is incorrect.

:(

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
This was the question on a first grade math homework sheet. The rest of the sheet consisted of some addition and subtraction problems, and one word problem.

So I ask you to answer this question. I'll tell you why later.

***Update***

2+8=10
5+5=10
12-2=10

and so on....

When I said

I was referring to everyone literally writing out "three names for 10". I think you misunderstood the original question, considering you even said it was on a worksheet that had addition and subtraction on it. This is first grade for crying out loud. Their biggest concern is wheter mommy or daddy gave them PBJ or ham and cheese. Not to see if their teacher is trying to "trick" them.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
dumb teachers are dumb.

My brother-in-law is in grade 10, and his english teacher had "What is the definition of triptodecaphobia" on an assignment as a bonus question. My bro corrected him and lost marks for it. What an arse! everyone knows it's "Triscadecaphobia"

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Kenazo
dumb teachers are dumb.

My brother-in-law is in grade 10, and his english teacher had "What is the definition of triptodecaphobia" on an assignment as a bonus question. My bro corrected him and lost marks for it. What an arse! everyone knows it's "Triscadecaphobia"

Actually it's "triskaidekaphobia," so while your point stands, perhaps your bro still should have lost marks :)

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
give me a break. :p I googled it the way I wrote it, and I got results, and assumed it to be right. Regardless, the point was that the teacher was obviously wrong, there is no such word even close the one he gave out, and he took marks off, so he's an arse.

VictorLazlo

Jul 23, 2003
I love how teachers telll you that your answer is wrong just because you didn't interpret the question the way they did.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
thinking back to my high school years...

Is oxygen the fuel on the space shuttle? (not in the solid fuel rocket boosters)
I had a chem teacher try and tell me that. I argued that hydrogen was the fuel and oxygen was the oxydizer. And I got kicked out for 15 minutes for doing it! and she still wouldn't admit she was wrong! ARGG!

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
dude, i originally thought the same thing too. the teacher should have made the question clearer - definately not the student's fault.